Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Preparing For My 2nd Visit to the U.S...travelling via Canada.

Preparing For My 2nd Visit to the U.S...travelling via Canada.

Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Preparing For My 2nd Visit to the U.S...travelling via Canada.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There, there....calm down....

*** pats on the back ***

Rene
You'd think I'd have learned from last time? I was like this then and everything turned out fine, I almost asked the CBP Officer "is that it?"
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a safe trip and try not to worry
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lisa67
Have a safe trip and try not to worry
Just logged on quickly to let you all know that I made it to Buffalo safe and sound.

I was completely interrogated at Toronto Pearson Airport which I really don't understand as I was only transiting but they eventually stamped me in but only gave me 48 hours, is that usual? I'm thinking maybe I should avoid flying through there again?

Entered the US at Peace Bridge, no problems whatsover. Was inside the building for like 30 minutes, the guard was very polite, even asking me about the weather in the UK.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
Just logged on quickly to let you all know that I made it to Buffalo safe and sound.

I was completely interrogated at Toronto Pearson Airport which I really don't understand as I was only transiting but they eventually stamped me in but only gave me 48 hours, is that usual? I'm thinking maybe I should avoid flying through there again?

Entered the US at Peace Bridge, no problems whatsover. Was inside the building for like 30 minutes, the guard was very polite, even asking me about the weather in the UK.
Glad you got in
Perhaps thay were just checking that you were definitely transiting through at Toronto.
Have a great time
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
Glad you got in
Perhaps thay were just checking that you were definitely transiting through at Toronto.
Have a great time
I found the whole thing really strange.

I approached the booths that say "Welcome To Canada" and was asked the following questions:

Why am I visiting Canada?
How long for?
How many bags do I have?
What do I do for work?
Do I know anyone that lives in Canada?

Bearing in mind I'd told them I was being picked up by my USC boyfriend. He took my landing card form off me and scribbled something on it, then I had to go into another room and join another line and was waiting ages. There were more booths and above them it said "Canada Immigration" and in there I got asked the same questions and then some...eventually he gave me the 48 hour stamp and on the way out I got stopped AGAIN after getting my bags and asked what was I doing in Canada, what do I do for work...and then a FOURTH guy tried to stop me and by that time I was ready to blow but I answered the questions politely and my baby was waiting for me in arrivals.

The CBP guys at Buffalo Peace Bridge were such a contrast, I expected a hard time from them but they were very respectful and polite. They didn't really ask me anything, they just asked where I lived and what I did for a living, we didn't even get asked how we knew each other they just assumed we were 'together' and that was that. The guy that processed me in the building was lovely, asked me what it was like back home with the recession and what was the weather like. I did my fingerprints wrong and we had a bit of a laugh about that and they made me feel extremely welcome. Which was nice and totally unexpected.

Last edited by StephieFaith83; Jan 28th 2010 at 7:59 am.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Hello StephieFaith83,

Just a wild guess here, but your less than pleasant experiences in Canada may well have something to do with the fact that the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, BC, will be inaugurated on 12th February.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
I found the whole thing really strange.

I approached the booths that say "Welcome To Canada" and was asked the following questions:

Why am I visiting Canada?
How long for?
How many bags do I have?
What do I do for work?
Do I know anyone that lives in Canada?
First time I entered Canada was in Vancouver, I was meant to fly EDI-AMS-DTW-PDX. The AMS-DTW flight was cancelled and I was re-routed through Vancouver, I only entered Canada in order to reach US immigration for my flight to Portland and they asked me similar questions. Canadian immigration can be very picky, I have entered for similar work several times with similar documentation prepared by the Montreal office of my company and have had to pay for a work permit, been told I didn't need a permit and also been told I did need one but it was free.

Anyway welcome to America.