Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Preparing For My 2nd Visit to the U.S...travelling via Canada.

Preparing For My 2nd Visit to the U.S...travelling via Canada.

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of
Default Preparing For My 2nd Visit to the U.S...travelling via Canada.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently preparing for my second visit to the United States. Bufffalo, NY to be exact. And yes, I do know how cold and snowy it's going to be this time of year. I fly to Toronto in 3 weeks, my man is going to be picking me up from Pearson Airport and we'll be driving over the border to Buffalo. Not only was it massively cheaper to do it this way, it sure as hell beats flying to NYC. I'm sure there are other routes, but this was by far the cheapest option for us.

My last visit was in June 2009, I was there for 4 weeks. The trip was inititally meant to be for 2 weeks but our Megabus broke down en route to NYC and I wound up missing my flight. So, I had to buy a new flight home, I flew out of Toronto meaning that I handed my I-94 to the Canadian Border Guard upon departing the US. It says this is the right thing to do on the I-94 itself but as a precaution I took a copy of it a couple of days before and sent the copy to Kentucky, along with copies of boarding passes, bank statements, payslips and some other receipts just in case it wasn't passed on. I also included a letter explaining why I'd sent it, etc etc.

So I was worried about that, my departure record being incorrect. So I'll be flying with tons of evidence that I left when I said I did, I have my original boarding pass, flight itinerary, wageslips, bank statements etc.

As for the usual stuff, I'll be carrying around $700, a letter from my employer stating when I will be returning to work (it also states when I returned to work after my last trip to the states), travel insurance, flight itinerary (showing return flight), train tickets to and from the airport...is there anything I've missed? Apart from my passport...

What do I expect upon entering Canada? As I am only transiting? Just explain that my final destination is the US and that I'll just be in Canada for a couple of hours?

I'm visiting my fiance (I say boyfriend to Immigration) because we haven't picked a ring out yet and I still haven't received my decree absolute from my previous marriage, should be around 3 weeks when I get that...then the K1 nightmare starts. Arggghhhh!

I'm pretty clued up on how everything works and that I should just be honest, we both tells the truth when visiting each other and have never had any problems at all.

It's been 6 months since I was last in the US, so I think I'm okay on that score?

Just getting nervous, as I HATE flying and with the recent events I feel even worse.

Thanks,

- Stephie xx
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing For My 2nd Visit to the U.S...travelling via Canada.

You seem to have all your ducks in a row.
My parents used to come into the US to visit us via Canada a lot and it was never a problem...I know that your situation is different with a US fiance, but I can't think of anything else you can do to make it any easier.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

I think it helps that he'll actually be with me when I get to the border, I've crossed the border to and from Canada a couple of times when I was there last. We were just asked how we knew each other, how we met, what I did for a job and when I was returning home...which to me seems like normal questioning.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are generally all set Stephie. When I transited through Canada, in Calgary en route to LA, they literally at immigration took a quick look at the passport and sai no problem, and off you go.

In fact if memory serves, they had tons of Canadian airline officials in the actual immigration zone telling you where to go etc as you needed to do the bag collection etc, and it was all very friendly and easy.

As far as your time spent outside the US, you are fine on that score as well.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
I think you are generally all set Stephie. When I transited through Canada, in Calgary en route to LA, they literally at immigration took a quick look at the passport and sai no problem, and off you go.

In fact if memory serves, they had tons of Canadian airline officials in the actual immigration zone telling you where to go etc as you needed to do the bag collection etc, and it was all very friendly and easy.

As far as your time spent outside the US, you are fine on that score as well.
Thanks. I'm as prepared as I'm ever going to be and have taken everything into account should any problems come up, so there's nothing that should present a problem with regards to getting into the US. I've followed the rules and am very respectful of the laws regarding Immigration, since I want to live in the country eventually as his wife, I will do nothing to jeapordise that...as much as I'd love to just stay and marry him, the consequences aren't worth it.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you can now relax and have fun!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
Thanks. I'm as prepared as I'm ever going to be and have taken everything into account should any problems come up, so there's nothing that should present a problem with regards to getting into the US. I've followed the rules and am very respectful of the laws regarding Immigration, since I want to live in the country eventually as his wife, I will do nothing to jeapordise that...as much as I'd love to just stay and marry him, the consequences aren't worth it.
oh, and don't forget to stop on the way to Buffalo in a Canadian Zehrs. They sell lots of British goodies and you can start introducing your fiance to such delights as crumpets, tinned custard, wine gums and smarties
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
oh, and don't forget to stop on the way to Buffalo in a Canadian Zehrs. They sell lots of British goodies and you can start introducing your fiance to such delights as crumpets, tinned custard, wine gums and smarties
Haha, don't get him started on crumpets lol...before we met he had that tea drinking, crumpet eating stereotype in his head.

I'll be sure to give it a look though and introduce him to some new English foods...he's been over here a few times though, can't say he's a fan of our cuisine.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Haha, don't get him started on crumpets lol...before we met he had that tea drinking, crumpet eating stereotype in his head.

I'll be sure to give it a look though and introduce him to some new English foods...he's been over here a few times though, can't say he's a fan of our cuisine.
and you're seriously considering marrying him????
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Just getting nervous, as I HATE flying and with the recent events I feel even worse.
Don't be. Right after a terrorist attack (or attempt) is the safest time....security is high and the terrorists lay low for a while.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:51 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Or just drop into most Wegman's stores in and around Buffalo as they have a small (but good) selection of British bits and pieces. But not crumpets!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Or just drop into most Wegman's stores in and around Buffalo as they have a small (but good) selection of British bits and pieces. But not crumpets!
Excellent!
Zehrs sells a ton of stuff under their own brand "president" so it's really cheap! (and I've even been known to "smuggle" in a pork pie...shhh)
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I LOVE Wegmans, so much better the the crappy supermarkets here in the UK.

They have so much fresh stuff.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

I LOVE Wegmans, so much better the the crappy supermarkets here in the UK.

They have so much fresh stuff.
So I fly in 2 days, I've proper starting getting the jitters and worrying my head off about not being let in...I just automatically think the worst and it's driving me nuts!

I was hoping you guys might help to calm my nerves...
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So I fly in 2 days, I've proper starting getting the jitters and worrying my head off about not being let in...I just automatically think the worst and it's driving me nuts!

I was hoping you guys might help to calm my nerves...
There, there....calm down....

*** pats on the back ***

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.