Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Preparation for AOS interview

Wikiposts

Preparation for AOS interview

Old Nov 19th 2002, 1:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As I stated, we didn't use a binder either. However, I found that setting it up in the fashion I outlined worked well for me. Helped me to see exactly what I had and placed in exactly the order that was indicated on the checklist sent by INS.

The day of the interview the DAO took the "packet" from us, slipped off the ACCO clip and placed it on the ACCO clip in your file. She closed it up and proceeded with the interview. If memory serves me correctly the only originals that she asked to see were passports, driver's licenses, I-131, fingerprint receipt, I-797 NOA, tax transcripts and wedding photos. Showed her the originals and told her where to find them in the packet she placed in the file. Also showed her the small wedding album and when she asked me to pick a pix she could keep, I told where to look in the packet and we compared the laser printout to the original in album.

It helped me tremedously to have our own packet at home with a checklist of what was where when we filed for removal of conditions. All I had to do was grab the right tab number, make a new copy of the doc and include it in my new I-751 packet.

I made the same type of packet for the I-751 and ironically Jim needed copies of his employment letters from the AOS interview and the I-751 filing to prove job title. I was able to pull them out post haste and made copies on our laserjet and he was in business.

Hey but that is me. I like to have everything organized and in one place and easily accessible. With having to deal with INS already since '98 and no end in sight until the year 2004/2005, I want to be prepared for anything they will throw our way ;-)

Each person should do things in a manner in which they are comfortable. What works for one person, might not necessarily work for another. Suggestions are only just that; suggestions.

Rete
Old Nov 19th 2002, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Come on Rete and Matt,
"Kiss and make up, and meet in New York"
This board would be a better place if you 2 "got on"
Both of you are a great help on here, although inevitably you
will disagree, that's life.
Why not a glass of Gatorade in NY ?

From a "fan" )
Old Nov 19th 2002, 4:54 am
Maya Novak

Default Re: Preparation for AOS interview

I was really worried about my interview:

- The house was in my name and we didn't have any real proof that he
was living there - except for address in his drivers licence.

- The car was in my name.

- We have different last names.

- Very little comingling of finances.

- Utilities were only in my name

- We managed to add his name to the phone bill, but they misspelled
it.

So... We quickly opened a joint checking account, and a joint credit
card. We started depositing portion of our paychecks to the joint
account, and started paying common expenses with the joint credit
card.

Luckyly (?) the washer broke down just a month before the interview,
so we got a store credit in both names...

We brought statements for the joint checking, joint credit card, and
the store credit, and all the cards that go with those three accounts.

But, looking back, I feel that the main evidence was that we deeply
love each other - which is totally obvious to all our friends, and was
apparently obvious to the intervier as well

Maya

Old Nov 19th 2002, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should I be worried?

My (english) husband and I (US Cit) have been married for 6 years.
We dont have any joint accounts apart from the mortgage and L Ins..
We have 2 kids, one in school.
I still have my US bank account.
I dont have a US job yet and neither does he, but my house will generate about 70,000 dollars surplus. I will need to instruct the solicitor to have the money put in my bank acct because my husbands funds/assetts arent considered.

How do they decide if you meet these poverty line requirements?
What if you have several (!) thousand in the bank but dont have a US job yet? (just a note that I'm not applying for I-130 til next spring).

And whats with the new process? Should it be easier?
Old Nov 19th 2002, 6:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
Come on Rete and Matt,
"Kiss and make up, and meet in New York"
This board would be a better place if you 2 "got on"
Both of you are a great help on here, although inevitably you
will disagree, that's life.
Why not a glass of Gatorade in NY ?

From a "fan" )
Excuse me? I'm not disagreeing with Matt. In fact, I am agreeing.

Rete