Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Pregnancy and applying for a visa based on marrage.

Wikiposts

Pregnancy and applying for a visa based on marrage.

Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnancy and applying for a visa based on marrage.

Originally Posted by Ayrria
Even if my baby is born in the UK, s/he is still a USC?
Yes... if one parent is a USC who meets certain criteria which, I'm sure, your husband meets.

I wouldn't be able to register with the US Consulate?
Don't know why not. You'll need proof of your husband's citizenship but that can be in the form of a passport or birth certificate. I understand that it's a fairly simple process. I don't believe it has to be done by the USC parent.

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Ayrria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Aah, but it's not even 10am where I am.

Your child COULD be a USC, but most of that depends on your husband's citizenship history (for lack of a better term). Here's what I got from the USCIS website -- I've only included the relevant portions:

Who is born a United States citizen?

Generally, people are born U.S. citizens if they are born in the United States or if they are born to U.S. citizens:

(3) Through birth abroad to ONE United States citizen

In most cases, you are a U.S. citizen if ALL of the following are true:
  • One of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born;
  • Your citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before you were born; and
  • At least 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after your citizen parent's 14th birthday.

Your record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of your citizenship. You may also apply for a passport to have your citizenship recognized. If you need additional proof of your citizenship, you may file an "Application for Certificate of Citizenship" (Form N-600) with USCIS to get a Certificate of Citizenship.

Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/2oa8xw

~ Jenney
Sounds like it's going to be cheaper to get him to come over here and apply for the baby though the US consilute.
Why? I asked him and he said he was being a drama queen and he will be here, aparently he's not fully awake hahaha.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Your child COULD be a USC, but most of that depends on your husband's citizenship history (for lack of a better term).
Ah... GMTA!

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:07 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes... if one parent is a USC who meets certain criteria which, I'm sure, your husband meets.

Don't know why not. You'll need proof of your husband's citizenship but that can be in the form of a passport or birth certificate. I understand that it's a fairly simple process. I don't believe it has to be done by the USC parent.

Ian
I would assume, though, that the father would want to come over to meet his son/daughter, so surely all this could be done at that time?

As I said, I believe there is a section at the Yankee forum which explains to process.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:02 am
J Moreno

In article <[email protected]> ,
Ayrria <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh I'm also worried as I'm due in December, how would I add my child to
> the pertion when it is unborn?

Is your husband to be the father? If so, you don't need to add him/her
to the petition, as he/she will be a USC. Your husband to be should
take the required steps to register the birth and get the kid a US
Passport.

Now, if the father isn't a USC, you might have a problem depending upon
when the baby is born...

--
J. Moreno

Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:42 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J Moreno
In article <[email protected]> ,
Ayrria <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh I'm also worried as I'm due in December, how would I add my child to
> the pertion when it is unborn?

Is your husband to be the father? If so, you don't need to add him/her
to the petition, as he/she will be a USC. Your husband to be should
take the required steps to register the birth and get the kid a US
Passport.

Now, if the father isn't a USC, you might have a problem depending upon
when the baby is born...

--
J. Moreno
Do you actually READ the threads before replying???
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Do you actually READ the threads before replying???
To be fair, there is often a lag between the web-based replies (britishexpats.com) and the Usenet posts.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:36 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by meauxna
To be fair, there is often a lag between the web-based replies (britishexpats.com) and the Usenet posts.
More than 7 hours? I don't think I'll ever 'get' this Usenet malarkey!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 9:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
More than 7 hours? I don't think I'll ever 'get' this Usenet malarkey!
Yes, that long. Sometimes BE's feed is broken/rusty and posts show up a few days later.
You can see one latest version of the Usenet group here: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...marriage-based if the link works in the BE posting...
Old Apr 21st 2007, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ayrria is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I can gather it can take 3 months to get an appointment
Well I guess it's better then my whole 6 months - 18 months thing hahaha, but at that point it looks like I may get to stay in England an extra 3 months if baby's appointment overlaps.