Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Pregnancy and applying for a visa based on marrage.

Wikiposts

Pregnancy and applying for a visa based on marrage.

Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Ayrria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnancy and applying for a visa based on marrage.

I just found out that I'm expecting a baby, big shock as we have not even applied for the visa yet, we are planning too in a week since my husband is due to go home in a few days.

I'm a little concerned, how will being pregnant effect my visa? Will it help or make it more difficult? What about the tests at the medical? Does anyone know what they involve? As I'm worried about anything that might effect the health of my baby.

We are applying for me to go to the USA, he is a USC.

Oh I'm also worried as I'm due in December, how would I add my child to the pertion when it is unborn?

Thank you,
~A.

Last edited by Ayrria; Apr 21st 2007 at 1:01 am.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:29 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnancy and applying for a visa based on marrage.

Originally Posted by Ayrria
I just found out that I'm expecting a baby, big shock as we have not even applied for the visa yet, we are planning too in a week since my husband is due to go home in a few days.

I'm a little concerned, how will being pregnant effect my visa? Will it help or make it more difficult? What about the tests at the medical? Does anyone know what they involve? As I'm worried about anything that might effect the health of my baby.

We are applying for me to go to the USA, he is a USC.

Oh I'm also worried as I'm due in December, how would I add my child to the pertion when it is unborn?

Thank you,
~A.
First of all, congratulations on your news!

As far as how long it takes for your visa to be processed, your pregnancy has no impact whatsoever. It would take as long as someone who is not, or cannot be, pregnant. Being pregnant doesn't "help" the visa process, and it shouldn't make it more difficult, either.

I wouldn't worry too much about the medical exam -- obviously the doctor will know what can and can't be done (vaccinations, etc) when the patient is pregnant and will act accordingly.

If your child is unborn when your husband files the petition, then the petition only includes you. If he waits to file the petition until after the baby is born, then I believe he would file two petitions, one for each of you -- someone else can confirm that, though. He can't file a petition for someone who doesn't exist yet!

~ Jenney
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
First of all, congratulations on your news!

As far as how long it takes for your visa to be processed, your pregnancy has no impact whatsoever. It would take as long as someone who is not, or cannot be, pregnant. Being pregnant doesn't "help" the visa process, and it shouldn't make it more difficult, either.

I wouldn't worry too much about the medical exam -- obviously the doctor will know what can and can't be done (vaccinations, etc) when the patient is pregnant and will act accordingly.

If your child is unborn when your husband files the petition, then the petition only includes you. If he waits to file the petition until after the baby is born, then I believe he would file two petitions, one for each of you -- someone else can confirm that, though. He can't file a petition for someone who doesn't exist yet!

~ Jenney
Thank you Well What I am worried about is will I have problems bring my baby to the USA if my visa is excepted? Will I have to file for another visa for my baby?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little concerned, how will being pregnant effect my visa?
Being pregnant will have *no* affect whatsoever on your visa. It will neither hurt nor help you.

What about the tests at the medical? Does anyone know what they involve?
Your physician can excuse you from certain tests if they are contraindicated. This is not an issue.

You can not add an unborn child to a petition, so this is not an issue.

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:34 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Well What I am worried about is will I have problems bring my baby to the USA if my visa is excepted? Will I have to file for another visa for my baby?
Honestly, I'm not sure how that works. I would assume so, but I don't know all the details. However, someone on here will know and should be able to give you more info on that.

BTW, where are you from?

~ Jenney
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:37 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling she wants to know what they need to do if the baby is born before she is able to enter the US...

I haven't got a clue. sorry - but perhaps you guys do?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira
I have a feeling she wants to know what they need to do if the baby is born before she is able to enter the US...

I haven't got a clue. sorry - but perhaps you guys do?
I'm from the UK. I know the child would be entitled to USC since s/he's father is a USC but I'm not sure if I have to fill out more forms and pay out lots of money for another visa application. I am hoping I can give birth in the USA but it may not be possible because if I don't get my visa before I am 31 weeks no international flighs will take me! So It's looking like a UK birth for now.
But yep thats pretty much the sum of it I want to know what happens if my baby is born here? Is it more forms for me? Can my baby enter with me if I get my visa or does she have to remain in the UK? I was wondering if there would be complications.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:42 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from the UK. I know the child would be entitled to USC since s/he's father is a USC but I'm not sure if I have to fill out more forms and pay out lots of money for another visa application. I am hoping I can give birth in the USA but it may not be possible because if I don't get my visa before I am 31 weeks no international flighs will take me! So It's looking like a UK birth for now.
But yep thats pretty much the sum of it I want to know what happens if my baby is born here? Is it more forms for me? Can my baby enter with me if I get my visa or does she have to remain in the UK? I was wondering if there would be complications.
Two points: One, you may be better off giving birth in the UK because having a baby in the US is a very expensive process. You need to check whether your husband's insurance would cover you for this. (Some policies exclude childbirth or have a very high co-pay or deductible).

Once the baby is born in the UK, I think your husband needs to register the birth at the US Consulate in London, and apply for a passport for him/her. Then you can take the baby to the US.

If you go to www.UK-Yankee.com, you will find a section on how to register a USC child and get a US passport.

HTH!

Last edited by Elvira; Apr 21st 2007 at 1:44 am.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I know the child would be entitled to USC since s/he's father is a USC but I'm not sure if I have to fill out more forms and pay out lots of money for another visa application.
If the child is a USC at birth and the birth is registered, the child will not need a visa... s/he is a USC.

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:50 am
I'm back!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If the child is a USC at birth and the birth is registered, the child will not need a visa... s/he is a USC.

Ian
Duh, why didn't I think of that!?! This is what happens when I try posting coherent thoughts early on a Saturday morning!!

~ Jenney
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Duh, why didn't I think of that!?! This is what happens when I try posting coherent thoughts early on a Saturday morning!!

~ Jenney
Haha early? If you consider 2pm early

Even if my baby is born in the UK, s/he is still a USC? Am I right in thinking that? I'm slightly confused. He may not nesasarily be here when the baby is born as he has to be back home. I wouldn't be able to register with the US Consulate? I guess not since I am not a USC but a UK Citizen.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:57 am
Homebody

Even if my baby is born in the UK, s/he is still a USC? Am I right in thinking that? I'm slightly confused. He may not nesasarily be here when the baby is born as he has to be back home. I wouldn't be able to register with the US Consulate? I guess not since I am not a USC but a UK Citizen.
Eh - did you read my post at all?

Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Yes I did
What I mean is that my husband has to go back home his holiday visa will be up soon and if he can't get back he can't register our baby as a USC...
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:00 am
Homebody

Yes I did
What I mean is that my husband has to go back home his holiday visa will be up soon and if he can't get back he can't register our baby as a USC...
Why not?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:01 am
I'm back!

Aah, but it's not even 10am where I am.

Your child COULD be a USC, but most of that depends on your husband's citizenship history (for lack of a better term). Here's what I got from the USCIS website -- I've only included the relevant portions:

Who is born a United States citizen?

Generally, people are born U.S. citizens if they are born in the United States or if they are born to U.S. citizens:

(3) Through birth abroad to ONE United States citizen

In most cases, you are a U.S. citizen if ALL of the following are true:
  • One of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born;
  • Your citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before you were born; and
  • At least 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after your citizen parent's 14th birthday.

Your record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of your citizenship. You may also apply for a passport to have your citizenship recognized. If you need additional proof of your citizenship, you may file an "Application for Certificate of Citizenship" (Form N-600) with USCIS to get a Certificate of Citizenship.

Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/2oa8xw

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.