Wikiposts

Poverty Line Question

Old May 7th 2004, 11:50 am
Dorset Nearly Texas

foo fighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poverty Line Question

I am a confused wannabe immigrant

I would very much appreciate any help as we are stressing out about this!

I am applying for a US Marriage Based Visa as my wife is American and I am British. She has lived in UK for 20 years and we have been married for 12.

She has had no US income for these 20 years and when arriving in the US, she is unlikely to work straight away and I will be self employed via a US friend. As my wife is sponsoring me, we are using the proceeds of our house sale in the UK (joint owners) for the asset critera. This should give us somewhere in the region of £ 60,000 (approx $107,000) after mortgage and debts are paid.

However, reading the notes given with the Affidavit Of Support, it says that assets have to be 5 times the difference between household income and the minimum income requirement.

Does this mean that if my wife sponsors me and we have 4 children (American) totalling a household of 6 that we need 5 x 125% of the poverty line ($31,513) = $ 157,565? as we have no other assets or income.

Or is the minimum income requirement and poverty line 2 different things?!!!

Thanks in advance

Mark