Poverty Guidelines question

Poverty Guidelines question

Old Jun 21st 2009, 9:27 am
Just Joined

indy1492 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poverty Guidelines question

Hi I would like to know if having

A) enough money to cover the first year would be accepted i.e £26000,
B) Plus showing maintance for children each month as a regular income (through a letter and bank statements as proof)
C) and the equity my wife would have off the house if we sold it in 1 year after moving

would be acceptable to if we applied via DFC in London.

We have been dithering and not really sure what the best way forward was but I think we are going to put money to one side and maybe claw back some equity off the house in the form of a loan to start the process and have enough money to apply and move in the next year or so.

The other thing I have mentioned somewhere else is tax returns, I have never had to do them as I am disabled and never been able to get work what do I do about this as I have not got 3 years tax returns to send in?

Indy
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poverty Guidelines question

Originally Posted by indy1492
Hi I would like to know if having ... would be acceptable to if we applied via DFC in London.
It all boils down to what the adjudicating officer thinks. The only way to know for sure is to file and find out. If it is enough... great! If it's not enough, you'll find out and then you can proceed from there!

The other thing I have mentioned somewhere else is tax returns
Already answered in the other thread.

Ian
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indy1492
A) enough money to cover the first year would be accepted i.e £26000,
B) Plus showing maintance for children each month as a regular income (through a letter and bank statements as proof)
C) and the equity my wife would have off the house if we sold it in 1 year after moving

would be acceptable to if we applied via DFC in London.
As long as the total amount of the assets equals 3x the amount you would have needed in income....and as long as child support income is considered "income", then you might be OK. Then again, London has been very picky about using your primary residence (the house) as an asset lately, because of the bad market. All you can do is try, and have a Joint Sponsor lined up, just in case.

We have been dithering and not really sure what the best way forward was but I think we are going to put money to one side and maybe claw back some equity off the house in the form of a loan to start the process and have enough money to apply and move in the next year or so.
If you take out a home equity loan, just make sure you still have enough equity in the home to qualify as an asset.

The other thing I have mentioned somewhere else is tax returns, I have never had to do them as I am disabled and never been able to get work what do I do about this as I have not got 3 years tax returns to send in?
I believe the US Embassy in London has a very good IRS department to help people in your situation. Get in touch with them and have them help you file 3 years of tax returns.

Rene
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My answer is here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=10
Old Jun 21st 2009, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks your link is great we do have enough in equity in the house even after taking out a loan my wife has almost paid off the house couple more years.

We have decided to put as much by as humanly possible and try to save to only have the minuim amount possible loan wise to see us through I am sure my wife would get work once over there.

We are also going to talk to my mom when she comes over to see if they will help.

thanks we are just sick of everything over here but worried incase we waste our money by applying and being turned down.

Indy
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hey indy, I had to read back a few to remember your situation.

You're going to have a few extra hurdles to overcome but you seem determined to learn and find a way over them all.
Just bear in mind that your situation may be a little different from others.

Also, before you jump from the UK, make sure you've looked into what benefits you'll be able to get in the US and if you'll be able to get by with it. Things are sucking pretty darn hard here, financially, at the mo.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

I have had to hunt down were we posted.

Thanks for your reply I know we have been thinking about all of this for some time and due to circustances we keep dithering (I think I said this before) but I had a bit of a health scare and we realised we need to think and do, I have been told I will qualify for healthcare again medicare.cade but my wife and kids will go private, we have now found a company that will insure all of us for 18 months even though I am disabled, holiday insurance for travellers so this will see us through until my wife and kids can get private health care sorted.

We have been stuck with the house we are having as we speak an extension done but it blocks us selling the house for a while, but we can have enough money by taking out a lone and the child support to see us through for at least 2 years if my wife did not work and my parents are more than happy to help out in that department but my dad is funny about sponsoring us (he might have changedhis mind now we will see) we will be talking to them in soon.

But my wife and I both feel that we need to be by my family and if we can hold on 1 more year to save then that will be good but we want to make sure we have every bit of paper work in place that we can.

indy
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:24 pm

You can find your old posts by clicking your username on the left of your post; from there you can click for 'find all posts' or 'find all threads started by..'.

Not immigration related necessarily, but I urge you to confirm your medicare/caid eligibility AND most important, check out that insurance. You may find that holiday insurance will not pay if your family has immigrated. No point in paying for insurance that isn't going to pay if you actually need it.
The health insurance thing here is no joke; it's getting worse by the minute right now. Please do some searches in the USA Forum here for past discussions.

The other thing I see that you need to sort out (and I don't understand the loan type, but again, if you post in the USA forum, someone might) is your UK house. If you can not sell it due to a contract, and you will need that 'income' for your I-864, I'm not sure how you will work that. I don't think the Consulate will accept you using a loan as evidence that you'll support yourselves.

I just want you to be realistic; you have a big family and big commitments in the UK. I don't know how easy it will be for you all to just pick up and go.

And yes, need to get your dad to change his mind.