Wikiposts

poverty guidelines

Old Jan 3rd 2003, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default poverty guidelines

I am doing my tax returns (isnt everyone??) now, and have some questions regarding the poverty guidelines for the I-864.

My tax returns show that my total income for 2000 and 2001 dont meet the guidelines, but the latest one 2002 does.

Do I have to meet the poverty guidelines for all of the 3 years or do just the latest figures have to show that?

Or is it determined by what you are taking in so far for the current year (i.e. say we apply in march 2003, my income for jan to march 2003 - no tax return or complete year income yet for this current/partial year)?

MUdall?
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question. Unfortunately one I cannot answer. I made well over in 2001, but 2002 has been a dismal year (I do free lance and acting work -or used to anyway), so I'd be curious to learn if they look at past years as well (which would be good for me if they did). I hope we can get someone to answer this.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

loveabrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default this is what I was told...

Originally posted by beyness
Good question. Unfortunately one I cannot answer. I made well over in 2001, but 2002 has been a dismal year (I do free lance and acting work -or used to anyway), so I'd be curious to learn if they look at past years as well (which would be good for me if they did). I hope we can get someone to answer this.

I was told by my congressman that they take an average of all three years to determine if your income is appropriate for this guideline.
With that, I was happy because one of the three years I barely made it, the one year-not at all (getting under the table jobs kicked me for that) and this past year I was way beyond the guideline.
Hope that helps-T.
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yay!

Loveabrit, that's great news! I did okay in 2000 and 2001, but crap in 2002, so I should be okay... do you just need the tax returns or do you need the W 2s as well? I'm okay with having both, I just want to send greg whatever he needs. Mine is actually for the I-134, but it should be similar rules, right?
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Jana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yay!

Originally posted by beyness
Loveabrit, that's great news! I did okay in 2000 and 2001, but crap in 2002, so I should be okay... do you just need the tax returns or do you need the W 2s as well? I'm okay with having both, I just want to send greg whatever he needs. Mine is actually for the I-134, but it should be similar rules, right?

I am not sure but I am planning on sending both just to be safe. Better to have too much information than not enough.