Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Potential problem getting married w/o SSN?

Wikiposts

Potential problem getting married w/o SSN?

Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:01 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Potential problem getting married w/o SSN?

Just came across this in the news:

Some immigrants denied marriage licenses

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A federal law that requires people to supply their Social Security number when applying for a marriage license has forced thousands of couples around the country, particularly illegal immigrants, to put their wedding plans on hold. The law has been on the books for about a decade and was intended to make it easier to collect child support payments. But in some places it has prevented even legal immigrants and some American citizens from getting married.

This isn't happening in every state, but it IS happening. FYI to those coming in on a K1 -- this is one more reason why it's a good idea to leave enough time after your arrival but before your wedding to obtain your SSN.

And for those who came in on the VWP or tourist visa and looking to marry in a state where this law is enforced... Well, this is a good reason to make other plans.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:03 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential problem getting married w/o SSN?

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

Some immigrants denied marriage licenses

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A federal law that requires people to supply their Social Security number when applying for a marriage license has forced thousands of couples around the country, particularly illegal immigrants, to put their wedding plans on hold. The law has been on the books for about a decade and was intended to make it easier to collect child support payments. But in some places it has prevented even legal immigrants and some American citizens from getting married.

This isn't happening in every state, but it IS happening. FYI to those coming in on a K1 -- this is one more reason why it's a good idea to leave enough time after your arrival but before your wedding to obtain your SSN.

And for those who came in on the VWP or tourist visa and looking to marry in a state where this law is enforced... Well, this is a good reason to make other plans.

~ Jenney
Yet another piece of idiotic legislation which equates anyone without a SSN with being illegal... :curse:
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I found this part very interesting: "There's a fundamental U.S. constitutional right to marry," said Charles Baesler, an immigration lawyer in Kentucky and chairman of the American Immigration Lawyers Association's Southeast chapter.

Unless I've misread the Constitution, marriage is not listed as a fundamental right... in fact, the word "marriage" (or marry) isn't even in the Constitution. An immigration lawyer and AILA member should know better.

I'm so disillusioned now!

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:17 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I found this part very interesting: "There's a fundamental U.S. constitutional right to marry," said Charles Baesler, an immigration lawyer in Kentucky and chairman of the American Immigration Lawyers Association's Southeast chapter.

Unless I've misread the Constitution, marriage is not listed as a fundamental right... in fact, the word "marriage" (or marry) isn't even in the Constitution. An immigration lawyer and AILA member should know better.

Ian
so long as you're not gay apparently.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:07 am
Capt. Tuttle

Manc wrote:
>>I found this part very interesting: "There's a fundamental U.S.
>>constitutional right to marry," said Charles Baesler, an immigration
>>lawyer in Kentucky and chairman of the American Immigration Lawyers
>>Association's Southeast chapter.
>>
>>Unless I've misread the Constitution, marriage is not listed as a
>>fundamental right... in fact, the word "marriage" (or marry) isn't
>>even in the Constitution. An immigration lawyer and AILA member should
>>know better.
>>
>>I'm so disillusioned now!
>>
>>Ian
>
>
> so long as you're not gay apparently.
>

Look again, Ian.
The preamble does say, "...to form a more perfect union..."

Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:15 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
What I found interesting about the immigration lawyer's comments is that was the totality of his quote. In other words, I sort of suspected an immigration attorney to give a little more insight than THAT. So USCs have (or, maybe not) a constitutional right to marriage. So what?? I want to hear what ELSE this immigration attorney had to say about the SSN issue.

I just did a quick Google search and came across this related story out of Minnesota -- this one specifically discusses a K1 visa couple that sued:

Hennepin County / Case yields change in marriage policy: Social Security number no longer needed

Hennepin County has agreed as part of a court settlement to issue marriage licenses even if one or both of the parties lacks a Social Security number, a county official said this week.

Minneapolis residents Shira Levenson and Miguel Acuña sued the county June 1 after they were denied a marriage license. Acuña was in the United States on a fiance visa from Peru, which requires that the couple get married within 90 days. But the 90 days would have expired before Acuña could get a Social Security number, the couple and their immigration attorney said.

The good news, at least, is that this is even MAKING the news. Hopefully it will open people's eyes and make them aware of the fact that these sorts of difficulties exist for LEGAL immigrants as well as US citizens, not just the illegal alien population that everyone focuses on.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 13th 2007, 6:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

What I found interesting about the immigration lawyer's comments is that was the totality of his quote. In other words, I sort of suspected an immigration attorney to give a little more
This misconception that social security number is equated with being 'legal" is widespread. Pity the poor H4, J2 and whatever sods who can't get one.

And since the collapse of the Senate's immigration bill, state and local government seem hell bent on doing the feds job for them with a myriad of silly and pointless laws. Pointless since the immigration issue can only be solved at a federal level. And silly coz they are to a large part based on ignorance driven by mob mentality.

Remember reading one a while back (think it was Indiana) where some WASP was pushing for a law that would require a SSN for buying real estate. And I believe there's already one in some backwash Texas hole where landlords are prevented from letting to illegals. Here in AZ, they're currently implementing a ballot proposition that prohibits in-state tuition fees to the undocumented ones. Problem is they have no way of knowing who is and who isn't a citizen!