British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   POSTPONE THE WEDDING?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/postpone-wedding-165196/)

lairdside Jul 13th 2003 12:09 pm

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Just a thought, but is the K3 as slow as the K1 through Nebraska? Because if not it might be quicker for ppl under that service center to marry in their home country and file for the spousal visa instead of the fiance visa.
I believe that judging by the current processing times (bearing in mind that you never know how things will go from one week to the next) that the K-3 through MSC is indeed faster than the K-1 through either NSC or TSC. Probably quicker than CSC also.

Margaret Jul 14th 2003 6:49 am

Re: POSTPONE THE WEDDING??

I did not do anything until I officially had that Visa in my hand. I
didn't take anything for granted in case anything were to go wrong.
This even went as far as quitting my job. I did tell my employer of
the situation beforehand and the possible scenario. They were quite
good about it.

tenni Jul 14th 2003 8:22 am

My husband and I are in the exact same scenario - made wedding reception plans in the U.S. before realizing he couldn't visit on a tourist visa anymore. We haven't called the vendors yet to ask about the deposits (but glad to hear that perhaps some might be willing to use it for a future unknown date). I think we are still hoping that by some miracle, we will get the visa in time. But seeing as how things are starting to slow down at the service centers.... better to prepare for the worst. :)

Kelley Jul 14th 2003 11:13 am

Well that's just fine if you don't mind getting legally married before
your wedding ceremony. My fiance and I wanted our civil and religious
ceremony on the same day. You'd think government officials could be
intelligent enough to handle a bit of paperwork and it wouldn't take
MONTHS.... guess not. But for anyone who doesn't care when or how they
get married, it doesn't matter. You get the visa and then set a date.
Some people want to do things a bit more traditionally.

Tracy and Dave Jul 14th 2003 12:01 pm

Originally posted by Kelley
Well that's just fine if you don't mind getting legally married before
your wedding ceremony. My fiance and I wanted our civil and religious
ceremony on the same day. You'd think government officials could be
intelligent enough to handle a bit of paperwork and it wouldn't take
MONTHS.... guess not. But for anyone who doesn't care when or how they
get married, it doesn't matter. You get the visa and then set a date.
Some people want to do things a bit more traditionally.
Doing things traditionally is fine and completely understandable that you would want to do things that way. What other posters are pointing out though is that there are no guarantees that timelines will be as quick as they have been in the past. Unfortunately, the best way to get married with this in mind is to either wait until the visa is in hand and make arrangements or make arrangements for a date that is pretty far from the original filing date and have a civil ceremony in the meantime.