Reload this Page >

postpone my green card marriage interview

Wikiposts

postpone my green card marriage interview

Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:44 am
Just Joined

bonlivre2008t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default postpone my green card marriage interview

I'm beneficiary to USC petitioner. My current status is F-1 with expiration date in 6 months.
We have filed the paperwork, but we have been married less than 4 months. I found out that there is an option to postpone my green card marriage interview until after our 2 year marriage anniversary.
what will happen to my status while we wait? Am I still F-1? I understand that I need to re-apply for EAD.

another question, having disclosed my current visa status, is it better to postpone or is it better to go ahead and attend the conditional
AOS interview?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:47 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: postpone my green card marriage interview

Originally Posted by bonlivre2008t
I'm beneficiary to USC petitioner. My current status is F-1 with expiration date in 6 months.
We have filed the paperwork, but we have been married less than 4 months. I found out that there is an option to postpone my green card marriage interview until after our 2 year marriage anniversary.
what will happen to my status while we wait? Am I still F-1? I understand that I need to re-apply for EAD.

another question, having disclosed my current visa status, is it better to postpone or is it better to go ahead and attend the conditional
AOS interview?
Very rarely is there a conditional interview ...
and its just a formality if there is one
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Just go the interview and get the conditional card. The removal of conditions is irritating, but compared to the hassle of trying to remain in status without a greencard... completely negligible.

Plus, even if what you propose works, you'd lose about 18 months of permanent residency and will therefore push out elibigibility to citizenship by the same amount.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with hobbes. Just file now and get your conditional green card. It's not a big deal to remove the conditions in 2 years' time. Getting your conditional green card keeps you in status (without having to renew your F-1), and it starts your permanent resident clock ticking sooner.

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I just realized you said you already filed the paperwork. In that case, I don't think you can postpone the AOS interview when it comes. It's very difficult to reschedule an AOS interview, especially if you're trying to reschedule it for 2 years later...USCIS won't approve of that, I'm sure. If you don't go to your scheduled interview, you run the risk of being a "no-show", and having your case closed.

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

AOS interview?
In my opinion, it's far better to have your Permanent Residency sorted at the earliest possible opportunity. Things have a way of changing unexpectedly, and you have more opportunities as a PR than a student.

Make sure you understand what the 'conditions' are on your residency. Otherwise, it's exactly the same as any other PR.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I think being a PR can help lower your tuition costs, and make you eligible for Federal Financial Aid (if you want that at all).
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

LadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud of

AOS interview?
Hi
I had my interview prior to my 2yr anniversary but wasnt approved till nearly 20mths after my interview cause I was stuck in the "lovely" namecheck delay. You don't know for sure if this will happen to you but anything is possible. When we got our appointment letter we didn't know if my hubby's work would let him have the time off so I called to ask about rescheduling and they said that it wasn't in my best interest unless it was a emergency. We never did reschedule and my hubby got the day off.
Best of luck

Last edited by LadyKat1974; Jul 17th 2008 at 6:09 am.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Plus it puts you closer to eligibility to file for naturalization as the time as a CPR is counted.