Wikiposts

Posting Timelines

Old Nov 13th 2002, 1:03 pm
Peaquod

Folinskyinla, your reply to ange is that of a typical attorney, mired in beaurocracy, not wanting to change things, not wanting to rock the boat. I'm with ange on this one.

Old Nov 13th 2002, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Peaquod
Folinskyinla, your reply to ange is that of a typical attorney, mired in beaurocracy, not wanting to change things, not wanting to rock the boat. I'm with ange on this one.
Hi:

Where in the hell do you get the idea I don't want to rock the boat? I rock it all the time -- its my job to do that when necessary.

If there are untoward delays in processing, I don't hesitate to "sue the bastards!". If that is not rocking the boat, then I don't what is.

I've been in the trenches fighting for my clients for 27 years now. The reason you have to fight for them is because the law is stacked against you and it is NOT there for you.

And read the newspapers -- "homeland security" is a top priority and it is going to change the INS to make it HARDER to get in.

There is going to be "accountability" all right -- but its not going to be what you think.

I suggest you read what I have to say instead of putting on your blinders of a prejudice against attorneys.
Old Nov 13th 2002, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

claudia13839 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Posting Timelines

Ange,

You go girl!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 13th 2002, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeles73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lest this country forget who founded it, it was founded by immigrants from ALL countries (first the natives, then the rest) so keeping aliens out goes againts the very fabric this country is made of. If that is the case and I certainly hope you are wrong, it's disgusting to know that. First because love doesn't acknowledge borders, and Second because people that are going through the process the right way, enduring separation, costs, misinformation and paperwork should not be penalized more than people who did it the wrong way, like overstay their visas, jump on a boat or swim out to sea - only to have a fast talking lawyer get them what we are trying to go about the legal route.

The immigration laws in this country are not equal. If you want to kid yourself into thinking they are, that is fine. IF I would have chosen to marry a Russian or an Indian I would have undoubtedly a longer wait. As if terrorists don't go live in the UK, in Argentina, or in Canada.

Petitioners for beneficiaries from "high risk"countries (whatever the heck that means) should have their own Service Center where their applications are scrutinized (even more) and don't get in the way of the cut and dry ones. INS should prepare a list of these countries which they already have, post it and reroute those petitions somewhere else. However, and I reiterate, Vermont gets countries on this list and yet seems to be able to deal with their workload just fine. It is the exception to the rule that these service centers do not know what they are doing and are disorganized at every stage except for receving the mail. And there are a few people on this forum who mailed their petitions as far back as July and have not received NOAs or had their checks cashed.

I keep in mind exactly what I need to keep in mind. And that is my goal is to bring my fiance over here the right way.

I have done my job in the amount of time that was required despite the odds. They need to be accountable for theirs.

End of story.

Ange

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Ange:

Please note that there is a tension between what you want and the goal of the immigration laws.

You want your loved one here as soon as possible.

The general goal and purpose of the immigration laws is to keep aliens out of the US and to grease the wheels out of the US for those already here. The law creates obstacles to coming to the US. The law then creates exceptions to those general goals. You may want to get your loved one into those exceptions, but you are still being contrary to the general import of the immigration laws.

Some people call those exceptions "loopholes" and you want to take advantage of one of the legal loopholes. I have no objection to that. I make my living and occupy my time living in that inherent tension.

Accountability? Yes, there is a movement towards accoutability -- for approving petitions and application that should not have been approved. Mary Ryan of the Department of State learned about accountability.

Your goal is a worthy one, don't get me wrong -- but you are bucking the general goals of the immigration laws -- don't ever forget it.
Old Nov 13th 2002, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

The continuing debate between Ange and Matt Udall almost seems to be a dialogue of the deaf, altho I have to say that of the two, Ange seems to paying rather more attention! Government Depts should be accountable to the citizens they serve (US, not we "aliens") for administrative failures and organisational bloopers. Getting things dealt with efficiently (even for those using "loopholes") in no way compromises the primary objective of the INS to keep undesirables, of whatever category, out of the USA.

Sure some unreasonable complaining goes on. Where emotions are engaged that is inevitable. But there are some perfectly justifiable and reasonable complaints made about inefficiency, and not just delay due to shortage of resources. Reading the posts, it seems to me that it is this aspect about which Ange complains. If so, she is perfectly justified, and should bitch away.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

angeles73 is an unknown quantity at this point

I assure you that a few months ago, I did not feel this way. And I certainly cannot feel the anger that I do as it pertains to my case, as I have just started my process. I have seen my colleagues, and now acquaintances, and happily to say my new "friends" from this forum, lose weeks, months even because there are people who basically think that bringing a loved one to this country is a privilege and not a right. As a US Citizen I still feel it is my right. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness....

My fiance is all three. As I am sure your respective fiances/spouses mean the same to all of you. I refuse to be told I have to wait more than the amount of time someone in Vermont has to wait just because Texas, Nebraska, California and Missouri cannot get it together. That has been my point all along.

If the entire process took XX number of months and there was not one service center consistantly meeting their timelines and processing as Vermont does than I would shut the hell up. If they all took 6 months to process. 6 months to update. Whatever. Then Ange would be the first one saying "Folks, that's just the way it is" But again, there is a service center that DOES DO things the right way. And I won't accept anyone's explanation that it takes TSC or any service center 6 months to do what it takes Vermont one month to do.

Anyone that tries to justify that has an agenda or just wants to keep a blind eye and deaf ear towards the problem. I won't. And I can't. If I was told I had terminal brain cancer tomorrow, 6 months of their mistakes would be too much for myself and my children.

If they are underfunded, they should probably cut some "official's" salaries and get more workers. Cut out some company cars, and get more workers. Trim the fat from their end, not milk our wallets and our time to resolve their deficiencies.

Ange

Originally posted by abba48uk
The continuing debate between Ange and Matt Udall almost seems to be a dialogue of the deaf, altho I have to say that of the two, Ange seems to paying rather more attention! Government Depts should be accountable to the citizens they serve (US, not we "aliens") for administrative failures and organisational bloopers. Getting things dealt with efficiently (even for those using "loopholes") in no way compromises the primary objective of the INS to keep undesirables, of whatever category, out of the USA.

Sure some unreasonable complaining goes on. Where emotions are engaged that is inevitable. But there are some perfectly justifiable and reasonable complaints made about inefficiency, and not just delay due to shortage of resources. Reading the posts, it seems to me that it is this aspect about which Ange complains. If so, she is perfectly justified, and should bitch away.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 1:37 am
Scarlett

Default Re: Posting Timelines

>Life, Liberty and
    >the Pursuit of Happiness....

you got that about right, ange - PURSUIT being the operative word!!!

so keep up the pursuit. you'll get there. wishing you all the best and a speedy
process.

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Nov 14th 2002, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by angeles73
Lest this country forget who founded it, it was founded by immigrants from ALL countries (first the natives, then the rest) so keeping aliens out goes againts the very fabric this country is made of. If that is the case and I certainly hope you are wrong, it's disgusting to know that. First because love doesn't acknowledge borders, and Second because people that are going through the process the right way, enduring separation, costs, misinformation and paperwork should not be penalized more than people who did it the wrong way, like overstay their visas, jump on a boat or swim out to sea - only to have a fast talking lawyer get them what we are trying to go about the legal route.

The immigration laws in this country are not equal. If you want to kid yourself into thinking they are, that is fine. IF I would have chosen to marry a Russian or an Indian I would have undoubtedly a longer wait. As if terrorists don't go live in the UK, in Argentina, or in Canada.

Petitioners for beneficiaries from "high risk"countries (whatever the heck that means) should have their own Service Center where their applications are scrutinized (even more) and don't get in the way of the cut and dry ones. INS should prepare a list of these countries which they already have, post it and reroute those petitions somewhere else. However, and I reiterate, Vermont gets countries on this list and yet seems to be able to deal with their workload just fine. It is the exception to the rule that these service centers do not know what they are doing and are disorganized at every stage except for receving the mail. And there are a few people on this forum who mailed their petitions as far back as July and have not received NOAs or had their checks cashed.

I keep in mind exactly what I need to keep in mind. And that is my goal is to bring my fiance over here the right way.

I have done my job in the amount of time that was required despite the odds. They need to be accountable for theirs.

End of story.

Ange
Ange:

I'm not in real disagreement with you. You are looking at the marriage visas -- and I deal with the whole gamut of the immigration laws -- and believe me, the idiocy you see in the marriage arena is actually relatively minor -- and at times, it used to be a lot worse than it is now.

All I'm trying to do is to point out the parameters of the arena you have chosen to enter. And its an arena with strange ruless and is often counter-intuitive. My brother is an attorney and when we shoot the bull, he still often goes "you have got to be kidding!".

Good luck -- I hope you entered the arena in a time when there is a rebound from delays so YOUR case goes through quick.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 3:32 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default homeland security

Interesting comment heard on NPR this am that said passage of the Homeland Security act does NOT mean an instantaneous change. The CBO reckons that it will take 5-10 years for them to combine all the offices/departments involved and get them up and running. So.....having said that, it may indeed make it tougher for people trying to come into the country, but not an overnight change that will result in tearing out one's hair and rubbing ashes all over.........