Wikiposts

post-K-1 questions

Old Jan 15th 2002, 1:35 pm
Malluprince

Hi

I have been reading several of the websites recommended but have yet to find an
answer to my questions. I have my K-1 interview on January 31 in Vancouver. Assuming
that goes well, the wedding is not until April 27 in Chicago. However I would like to
go to a wedding on June 29th back in Canada (I'm the Best Man) and again in July 27th
for another friends wedding. Not to mention that I would like to go to my university
convocation occuring around June 7th (but am willing to forego this if necessary).
Also i would like to have a honeymoon overseas soon after the wedding (ie/ May).

My questions are:
1. Soon after the Consulate K-1 Interview can I apply for my AP (ie. Februart 1st)? I
thought I read in the INS website that you can apply if you are about enter the US
within 90 days, but then I read HERE that you can only apply after you have you
AOS application in.

2. I plan on crossing with my car (suggestions on best POE?) to Chicago (where my
fiance lives). Can I ask for a EAD right at the POE?

3. If not, do I apply for the EAD, as soon as I enter the country or can I get
that only after i am married? (My time-of-entry into the country depends on
this answer).

4. If i cannot apply for AP right now, is it better to take the marriage certificate
down to the Chicago service center myslef for faster prcessing? Can I also submit
my AOS application at the same time.

wow....I am kinda scatterbrained right now, coz i just read about all this. Now I
realize that the real work os yet to be done. And i thought it was going to be a
breeze after i got the K-1!

Any response is appreciated Thanks, malluprince

Old Jan 16th 2002, 9:17 am
Okonami Yaki

[email protected] (Malluprince)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Find a place to rent (this will be your home address for the filing of AoS) for a
month or so ( May 2002 could be a good month) in Michigan -- around the bend in the
lake, north of Gary, Indiana. Get a state ID or a driver's licence for yourself and
your wife in the nearest Michigan DMV office. Then take your marriage certificate,
your passport, the new driving licenses for both of you and spouse to Detroit,
Michigan INS office and file AoS forms in person. After a successful AoS filing, you
will find yourself with the savings of EAD cost, AP cost that should pay for the room
you rented in Michigan. Vacate the room and go home to Chicago. File an Address
Change with the INS, I think it is called form AR-11 or some such thing. If you
wonder why someone would advice you so, seach this ng for Detroit AoS experiences of
K-1 visa holders. Also go to the Detroit INS office link of the INS website and see
what they say about cases like yours.

>
    >
Yes; but INS will just eat the money and refuse the AP because you do not have any
petition pending with them for you to need an AP.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
You can ask for anything...at most PoEs you will be lucky if they let you use their
keys to the restroom.

>
    >
    >

>
    >
    >
At detroit you are a customer to receive "service" in person. At chicago you are a
junk mailer bothering them with your envelope.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >