Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

is it possible to move back to uk after getting spouse visa to live in usa?

Wikiposts

is it possible to move back to uk after getting spouse visa to live in usa?

Old Nov 11th 2011, 5:57 am
Just Joined

michelab11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is it possible to move back to uk after getting spouse visa to live in usa?

hi everyone

well the thing is me and my fiance will be aiming at getting married next year,
im a british citizen and he is an american citizen.

we are trying to figure out our plan, as this keeps me awake at night wondering if we will ever get to permantely be together!

after we marry we are going to apply for the spouse visa, initialy he was going to come here to england, but i am recieving benefits, i know this is a no go, so after we got married i was going to get a fulltime job and then apply for the visa of course.

but now he is thinking he would like to stay in america for a bit longer,
so my question is if we applied for the visa for me to go and live in america how would it work after say me living in the us for a year or 2, if we then wanted to move back to england together? is this possible? if so what process would we have to go through or is there a set amount of time i have to stay in america for?

thanks
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: is it possible to move back to uk after getting spouse visa to live in usa?

You will be applying for a green card via spousal sponsorship so you can live & work in the U.S. once married. ( Forms to fill out, medical required, fingerprinting etc plus interview ). Note getting married doesn't "entitle" you to a green card and you can be denied one despite being wed.

If at anytime you spend more time outside the US than in it the green card will be revoked and you will have to re apply if you want to live in the US again.

The only way you can leave the US for extended periods and come back again with no problems or hoops to jump through is to take out citizenship which can be applied for after having your GC for , I think, 4 years.

Last edited by Englishman43; Nov 11th 2011 at 6:16 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it possible to move back to uk after getting spouse visa to live in usa?

It's possible.

It's a massive waste of money though...you're talking close to a couple grand all in...once you've got the spouse visa and moved over and got the greencard, wait it out for 3 years and get US citizenship and then you can move back and forth as much as you like.

You can apply for citizenship 3 years, minus 90 days from date of being granted the Greencard, based on marriage and living with spouse, other wise it'd be 5 years. Citizenship process, who knows how long it'll take in a few years time, but it's around 6 months or less in general, depending on where in the US you are at the moment.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:08 am
Just Joined

michelab11 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replys as i am clueless in all this!