Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to delay K-1 FBI check until fiancee returns home from US?

Wikiposts

Is it possible to delay K-1 FBI check until fiancee returns home from US?

Old Apr 28th 2002, 6:40 am
T L

Default Is it possible to delay K-1 FBI check until fiancee returns home from US?

I'm considering having my fiancee bring her family to the states while my 129F is in
process... I have read the conflicting advice on this, including the possibility
she'd be turned back at the point of entry. I have also read LisaDtoo's various
comments on having to have a second FBI check done because the first happened while
her husband was in the USA.

When my fiancee applies for a visa, she'll state clearly that she has a fiancee in
the states, has a petition for an immigration visa on her behalf pending, etc. In the
event she does get a tourist visa in spite of this, and comes to the USA, we'd do our
best to inform the INS and Seoul consulate of our plans by letter, in a tourist visa
interview, and, once my fiancee returns, in person, all in the effort to make sure
that the FBI check happens after her return to her home country.

Has anyone ever successfully asked a consulate [and/or INS?] to delay or redo an FBI
check IN ADVANCE of a K-1 interview so as not to hold up the whole process? I'd be
grateful for any such anecdotes, or stories of attempts that failed. I'd also
appreciate any more stories about FBI checks that had to be redone, and how much time
that added to the process. This info will help us decide whether my fiancee should
even apply for a tourist visa to come with her family.

Many thanks to all of you who post stories and advice!

wishing you all speedy processes and lifetimes of happiness in love!

tom

Old Apr 28th 2002, 9:10 am
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: Is it possible to delay K-1 FBI check until fiancee returns home

t l wrote:
    > Has anyone ever successfully asked a consulate [and/or INS?] to delay or redo an
    > FBI check IN ADVANCE of a K-1 interview so as not to hold up the whole process? I'd
    > be grateful for any such anecdotes, or stories of attempts that failed. I'd also
    > appreciate any more stories about FBI checks that had to be redone, and how much
    > time that added to the process. This info will help us decide whether my fiancee
    > should even apply for a tourist visa to come with her family.
    >
She is wasting her time to apply. A tourist visa is granted ONLY when you can
PROVE to the satisfaction of the consulate that there is NO immigrant intent. She
is lost before she even starts. She would have to state on the application that
she did have a US fiance, and would inevitably be questioned regarding whether she
had an immigrant visa filed in her behalf. It is a hopeless situation, unless
someone has some very "close" ties to the consulate that will go to bat for her.
http://travel.state.gov/visa;visitors.html
http://travel.state.gov/visadenials.html Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion, in
a private communication, and should not be considered legal advice. Locate an
immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old May 1st 2002, 2:10 pm
T L

Default Re: Is it possible to delay K-1 FBI check until fiancee returns home from US?

Thanks Alvena!

tom