addresses. But a number of posts and anecdotes from people who have
gone through this process claim that copies of police reports are
necessary. I fear that in a place like Mongolia, these reports are
going to be impossible to get. What have people's experiences been
with this? Thanks! --Peter

Old Nov 11th 2002, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

katesuiter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are Police Reports Necessary??

Originally posted by Peter
My girlfriend in Mongolia and I (in the US) are applying for a K-1
fiancee visa. The G325A form, or biography form, asks for a list of
all the addresses that the foreign nation has lived in the past 5
years. It doesn't say anything about needing anything to verify these
Hi!
I've just looked at the list of countries that police certificates are not available, (on the back of one of the spare forms I had from the London embassy), and it says,

Quote: "Do not attempt to obtain police certificates covering residence in any of the following countries or areas, as they are either not available or may be obtained only by this office on your behalf:" Unquote.

I'm sorry to say that Mongolia was in fact on this list of countries.
I'm assuming that when they say "this office", they mean the London embassy, and I'm also assuming that your fiance will need to contact the embassy in Mongolia to find out how to get her records. I'm not sure how it works for the countries where the documents are hard to come by, but I'm pretty certain the police records are vital wherever the applicant is from. I'm sorry I don't have any useful links for you to look at to help point you in the right direction, but I'm sure someone here who has more knowledge will lend a hand.
Kate. xxxx
Old Nov 11th 2002, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are basing your assumption without having all the facts. The paperwork you are doing is for the I-129F. There is a whole new set of documentation and documents that your fiancee will be completing and compiling at the request of the US Consulate after your I-129F is approved and sent to them. It is at this point that the police clearance certificate is required.

However, upon reading the NG fact URL [http://www.kamya.com/misc/polcert.html] I have found that Mongolian is one of the countries that one cannot obtain police clearance certificates from, as per DOS instructions on form DSL-1083.

Rete

Old Nov 11th 2002, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

What I find totally ironic in the US asking for police reports is that the US itself is incapable of providing a police report to another country if they asked for it in similar circumstances. Go figure.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Nov 11th 2002, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Go to the "visa reciprocity tables" at http://travel.state.gov.

You are correct -- you can't get the police clearances from Mongolia. The Department of State agrees with you. So not needed.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by Scout
What I find totally ironic in the US asking for police reports is that the US itself is incapable of providing a police report to another country if they asked for it in similar circumstances. Go figure.

Cheers,

Leslie
Hi:

The US CAN provide them. You can get them from the FBI. In fact, if you are interested in your own rap sheet, just for the hell of it, send in fingerprints and the right fee and you get it back.
Old Nov 11th 2002, 3:15 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Leslie
I'm curious as to why you think this to be true. While applying for a work permit in Chile a few years ago, I had to provide my police record to Chilean immigration as one of the required documents. Since I was already living in Chile at the time, my mother went to our local police station and obtained one on my behalf, free of charge, in a signed and sealed envelope.

(p.s. Just so there's no confusion, my record is spotless! )

~ Jenney
Old Nov 11th 2002, 7:19 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

[i]
(p.s. Just so there's no confusion, my record is spotless! )

~ Jenney
What you mean is you have never been caught!!!

Patrick
Old Nov 11th 2002, 7:29 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
What you mean is you have never been caught!!!

Patrick
Hehehe......

~ Jenney
Old Nov 12th 2002, 1:09 am
Scarlett

> (p.s. Just so there's no confusion, my record is spotless! )
    >> ~ Jenney

so is mine! i keep it in a dinky little clear plastic envelope so i don't get
nasty dirty tea stains on my exciting long list of previous convictions

(joke, JOKE!)

regards
-=-
scarlett

Old Nov 12th 2002, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

If I am not mistaken, the US is listed as one of the countries that won't provide a police certificate. I guess that just made me assume we couldn't. Maybe the INS just obtains it themselves?

Leslie
Old Nov 12th 2002, 1:20 am
Account Closed

If I am not mistaken, the US is listed as one of the countries that won't provide a police certificate. I guess that just made me assume we couldn't. Maybe the INS just obtains it themselves?

Leslie
Hi:

You do not need a US police clearance for a US visa. However, for other countries, you can get it.
Old Nov 12th 2002, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Now I am confused even more. This is a hypothedical situation of course, but say you were a French Citizen and you lived for 10 years in the US. Then you moved back to France for a few years and then decided to marry a USC and move back to America. Would you not need a US Police Certificate then? If you didn't need one, would the INS run a check on your criminal background in the US as a matter or routine?

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Nov 12th 2002, 3:24 am
Mjones

Peter,
Glad you managed to stumble your way into the newsgroup.
This is much better than writing to some complete stranger at a website, eh?
Lottsa more better answers too. You even got an immigration attorney to
chime in.
Mike
--
[email protected]

"Peter" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My girlfriend in Mongolia and I (in the US) are applying for a K-1
    > fiancee visa

Old Nov 12th 2002, 3:47 am
Account Closed

Now I am confused even more. This is a hypothedical situation of course, but say you were a French Citizen and you lived for 10 years in the US. Then you moved back to France for a few years and then decided to marry a USC and move back to America. Would you not need a US Police Certificate then? If you didn't need one, would the INS run a check on your criminal background in the US as a matter or routine?

Cheers,

Leslie
Hi:

No, you would not need the police check. If you filed for adjustment of status while in the US, the process will require fingerprinting.

What I was mentioning was what happens when someone who has lived in America wants to immigrate elsewhere, e.g. that Frenchman wants to move to Canada. BTW, I was researching obtaining US State clearances which I needed in a deportation hearing and it was the CANADIAN immigration sites that had the information on how to get US clearances. Isn't google great?

BTW, out of curiosity -- those of you who have recently entered on immigrant visas -- does the INS take your fingerprints in the airport. I know that the law requires it -- but once a client successfully enters on an immigrant visa, that is the end of the lawyers involvment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.