Police Check

Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

rokersafc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Check

I used to live in America for about 7 years before moving back about two years ago. Since then I have married my American wife and I have just started the process sending in the I 130.

My question is do I need to obtain both police certificates from England and America?
Just trying to plan ahead so there are no delays.

Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Check

Originally Posted by rokersafc
I used to live in America for about 7 years before moving back about two years ago. Since then I have married my American wife and I have just started the process sending in the I 130.

My question is do I need to obtain both police certificates from England and America?
Just trying to plan ahead so there are no delays.

Thanks

So you are living in the US at the moment? Or does moving back mean moving back to the UK? If you are in the US on another visa and can stay here for final adjustment of status, then no, you don't need to get the police clearance from the UK and the Homeland Security will take care of checking you out for your time spent in the US.

If you are back in the UK, then, yes, you need to obtain the UK police clearance certificate. Again, the US will take care of your criminal background itself.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 25th 2017 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need an ACPO police certificate from the UK. The US will do its own checks so no police certificate is required from the US.

Ian
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You'll need an ACPO police certificate from the UK. The US will do its own checks so no police certificate is required from the US.

Ian
Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear i currently live in the UK. So your answer above applies to me?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
So you are living in the US at the moment? Or does moving back mean moving back to the UK? If you are in the US on another visa and can stay here for final adjustment of status, then no, you don't need to get the police clearance from the UK and the Homeland Security will take care of checking you out for your time spent in the US.

If you are back in the UK, then, yes, you need to obtain the UK police clearance certificate. Again, the US will take care of your criminal background itself.
Ok great. I am in the UK, so was unsure how to go about getting my background check from the USA. This makes it much easier them doing it. Thanks
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is not the ACPO which I googled and it stands for Association of Chief Police Officers but the ACRO. The link is below

https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx
Old Jul 25th 2017, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So your answer above applies to me?
Yes.

Ian
Old Jul 31st 2017, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help. One last question, do i need finger prints taken or just the ACRO?
Old Jul 31st 2017, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

For a CR-1/IR-1 visa application, you need to provide an ACRO certificate. You do not need to get fingerprints taken (at least not at this stage in the process - I have no idea if they are taken at interview, or if any criminal background influences this at all.) ACRO certificates take about two weeks to come through - you do not need to apply for yours until you have received your NOA2 and your case has reached the NVC (assuming your wife is still in the USA and has filed the I-130? If your wife is living in the UK and you are filing through DCF, it may be different).
Old Jul 31st 2017, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Finger prints will be take at the interview.