British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Police Check (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/police-check-900568/)

rokersafc Jul 25th 2017 2:33 pm

Police Check

I used to live in America for about 7 years before moving back about two years ago. Since then I have married my American wife and I have just started the process sending in the I 130.

My question is do I need to obtain both police certificates from England and America?
Just trying to plan ahead so there are no delays.

Thanks

Rete Jul 25th 2017 2:35 pm

Re: Police Check

Originally Posted by rokersafc (Post 12302782)
I used to live in America for about 7 years before moving back about two years ago. Since then I have married my American wife and I have just started the process sending in the I 130.

My question is do I need to obtain both police certificates from England and America?
Just trying to plan ahead so there are no delays.

Thanks

So you are living in the US at the moment? Or does moving back mean moving back to the UK? If you are in the US on another visa and can stay here for final adjustment of status, then no, you don't need to get the police clearance from the UK and the Homeland Security will take care of checking you out for your time spent in the US.

If you are back in the UK, then, yes, you need to obtain the UK police clearance certificate. Again, the US will take care of your criminal background itself.

ian-mstm Jul 25th 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by rokersafc (Post 12302782)

You'll need an ACPO police certificate from the UK. The US will do its own checks so no police certificate is required from the US.

Ian

rokersafc Jul 25th 2017 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12302790)
You'll need an ACPO police certificate from the UK. The US will do its own checks so no police certificate is required from the US.

Ian

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear i currently live in the UK. So your answer above applies to me?

rokersafc Jul 25th 2017 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12302783)
So you are living in the US at the moment? Or does moving back mean moving back to the UK? If you are in the US on another visa and can stay here for final adjustment of status, then no, you don't need to get the police clearance from the UK and the Homeland Security will take care of checking you out for your time spent in the US.

If you are back in the UK, then, yes, you need to obtain the UK police clearance certificate. Again, the US will take care of your criminal background itself.

Ok great. I am in the UK, so was unsure how to go about getting my background check from the USA. This makes it much easier them doing it. Thanks

Rete Jul 25th 2017 7:49 pm

It is not the ACPO which I googled and it stands for Association of Chief Police Officers but the ACRO. The link is below

https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

ian-mstm Jul 25th 2017 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by rokersafc (Post 12303029)
So your answer above applies to me?

Yes.

Ian

rokersafc Jul 31st 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for all your help. One last question, do i need finger prints taken or just the ACRO?

KK85 Jul 31st 2017 9:15 pm

For a CR-1/IR-1 visa application, you need to provide an ACRO certificate. You do not need to get fingerprints taken (at least not at this stage in the process - I have no idea if they are taken at interview, or if any criminal background influences this at all.) ACRO certificates take about two weeks to come through - you do not need to apply for yours until you have received your NOA2 and your case has reached the NVC (assuming your wife is still in the USA and has filed the I-130? If your wife is living in the UK and you are filing through DCF, it may be different).

tom169 Jul 31st 2017 10:06 pm

Finger prints will be take at the interview.