POE via Dublin, Ire.

Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

M4r7y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POE via Dublin, Ire.

So, quick question. When I arrive at the POE, which line do I get into? The line for all international immigrants, right?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M4r7y
So, quick question. When I arrive at the POE, which line do I get into? The line for all international immigrants, right?
Did you decide to go via Dublin? There is an area for Global Entry, a section for US citizens, a section for ESTA travellers and a section for visa holders. Once you go through security there are agents waiting to direct you to the right line.

When we entered through Dublin for the first time, the family at the next desk were immigrating on a spousal visa. They cleared before we did and if they went to secondary then it was for no more than 2 minutes as we were soon behind them heading to our gate.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

No, I'm going through at Newark airport.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The line for all international immigrants, right?
Close! The line for all non-US citizens.

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2017, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Close! The line for all non-US citizens.

Ian
Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks.

What were people's experiences like during those moments? What did you say when you were asked why you are there? I assume something along the lines of "I'm emigrating for (reason here)," right?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

What were people's experiences like during those moments? What did you say when you were asked why you are there? I assume something along the lines of "I'm emigrating for (reason here)," right?
Unless you're just sparking up a random conversation.... which I wouldn't advise... you won't necessarily be asked. I certainly wasn't.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked what made me an extraordinary alien. I am nearly always asked
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I was asked what made me an extraordinary alien. I am nearly always asked
By officialdom? That's down to your particular visa category, no?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
By officialdom? That's down to your particular visa category, no?
Immigration, everytime on an O-1. Probably 6 times in two years
Old Jan 20th 2017, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What did you say when you were asked why you are there?
You're entering the US with an immigrant visa. No one is going to ask why, because it's irrelevant.

Ian
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:45 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

My POE was Las Vegas and I was "ordered" to join the queue for USCs and LPRs. I thought it would go quickly as most of the people on my flight were Brits going on holiday. There was a K-1 person on the same plane and me with my IR-1. Everyone else was in the visitor queue. I thought it would be nice and quick but when I got to secondary the room was packed with Aero Mexico passengers and a crowd of Filipino brides from the flights that landed just before mine. I was in secondary for over 2 hours. They spent 5 minutes looking at my file and stamping my passport. The rest of the time it sat untouched in a huge pile on the desk.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I was in secondary for over 2 hours. They spent 5 minutes looking at my file and stamping my passport. The rest of the time it sat untouched in a huge pile on the desk.
This is exactly the reason I suggested the OP go via Dublin when he first asked about it. When he arrives in Newark, he'd simply collect his bags and leave the airport.

Ian
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

My POE was Las Vegas and I was "ordered" to join the queue for USCs and LPRs. I thought it would go quickly as most of the people on my flight were Brits going on holiday. There was a K-1 person on the same plane and me with my IR-1. Everyone else was in the visitor queue. I thought it would be nice and quick but when I got to secondary the room was packed with Aero Mexico passengers and a crowd of Filipino brides from the flights that landed just before mine. I was in secondary for over 2 hours. They spent 5 minutes looking at my file and stamping my passport. The rest of the time it sat untouched in a huge pile on the desk.
My POE was Washington DC, airport was quiet, Hurricane Sandy was waiting in the wings and they were closing the airport behind us. I almost heard the immigration officer groan when I handed him my packet. It was, however, a very fast immigration experience
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 2:10 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is exactly the reason I suggested the OP go via Dublin when he first asked about it. When he arrives in Newark, he'd simply collect his bags and leave the airport.

Ian
Which makes me wonder why, after all the advice he was given, he's decided to go through Newark after all! That's the only airport where I have missed an inward connection due to being in the immigration hall for so long. Never have I seen such a disorganized operation. Ended up spending a night at an airport hotel (on United's nickel) and having to miss a day with The Husband.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Which makes me wonder why, after all the advice he was given, he's decided to go through Newark after all! That's the only airport where I have missed an inward connection due to being in the immigration hall for so long. Never have I seen such a disorganized operation. Ended up spending a night at an airport hotel (on United's nickel) and having to miss a day with The Husband.
It was the cheapest flight at the time of booking it and my parents wanted to buy it for me as a leaving gift. I went with a cheaper option so as to not make them pay for more. If I miss my connecting flight, I can deal with it, but I didn't want them paying more than what they had to. Sorry I made you feel like I'm ungrateful for your advice.

Last edited by M4r7y; Jan 22nd 2017 at 4:22 pm.