Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

POE experience on IR-1 visa at JFK Terminal 7, 5th December 2017

POE experience on IR-1 visa at JFK Terminal 7, 5th December 2017

Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE experience on IR-1 visa at JFK Terminal 7, 5th December 2017

Originally Posted by KK85
I know YMMV applies here, but I'm starting to feel all the more convinced that there's going to be some kind of error/delay in the sending/receipt of my green card. They lost my paperwork in secondary, then were quite uncertain and noncommittal when it came to answering my questions about what name the card would be issued in, and told me I'd paid the fee already when I hadn't... I just have a feeling in my bones that something's gone wrong. I paid the fee one week after arriving (so four weeks ago) and everyone else seems to be receiving their green cards quite quickly.

The USCIS website won't let me log in to my account due to 'inactivity' (it has said as much and asked me to re-set my password every single time I've logged in, for months), so I've not checked for any change in status yet. But we'll see - I'll give it six months before I start worrying.
You could book a infopass appointment. Can cancel it without issues if it shows up.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
You could book a infopass appointment. Can cancel it without issues if it shows up.
I'll keep this in mind if nothing happens over the coming few weeks - thank you, Tom.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

LandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond reputeLandOfLincoln has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks to all who offered advice re the misspelled name on my social security card.

Just as an update to this thread, on 29th December (24 days after my POE arrival in New York City) my green card arrived in the mail at my in-laws' house. And as a bonus, the name was spelled correctly, so it is just the good folks at the Department of Social Security who messed up

The fact that I am now a US permanent resident actually feels a lot more real knowing that the physical card has been produced, dispatched and is winging its way across the ocean to me than it did after my underwhelming immigration experience at JFK, which is kinda funny given that I am now back on British soil for several months

Last edited by LandOfLincoln; Jan 4th 2018 at 11:47 pm. Reason: Updated final sentence for clarity
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LandOfLincoln
Many thanks to all who offered advice re the misspelled name on my social security card.

Just as an update to this thread, on 29th December (24 days after my POE arrival in New York City) my green card arrived in the mail at my in-laws' house. And as a bonus, the name was spelled correctly, so it is just the good folks at the Department of Social Security who messed up

The fact that I am now a US permanent resident actually feels a lot more real knowing that the physical card has been produced, dispatched and is winging its way across the ocean to me than it did after my underwhelming immigration experience at JFK, which is kinda funny given that I am now back on British soil for several months
Hoorah! So glad to hear that all worked out in the end - funny, the influences these 'little' happenstances can have on our state of mind. Here's to things finally feeling real!
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

SteveSweet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KK85
I know YMMV applies here, but I'm starting to feel all the more convinced that there's going to be some kind of error/delay in the sending/receipt of my green card. They lost my paperwork in secondary, then were quite uncertain and noncommittal when it came to answering my questions about what name the card would be issued in, and told me I'd paid the fee already when I hadn't... I just have a feeling in my bones that something's gone wrong. I paid the fee one week after arriving (so four weeks ago) and everyone else seems to be receiving their green cards quite quickly.

The USCIS website won't let me log in to my account due to 'inactivity' (it has said as much and asked me to re-set my password every single time I've logged in, for months), so I've not checked for any change in status yet. But we'll see - I'll give it six months before I start worrying.
For what it's worth, I paid the fee at the end of Sep 2017 (30th), entered the US on the 7th October, and haven't yet received the physical green card. It still seems to be within the 120 day expected processing time, so I'm not too concerned.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LandOfLincoln
Just as an update to this thread, on 29th December (24 days after my POE arrival in New York City) my green card arrived in the mail at my in-laws' house..... which is kinda funny given that I am now back on British soil for several months
Take care not to give yourself problems by being away from the US for a year.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...nent-residence
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:02 am
Just Joined

amy23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congraaats really Happy for you!
Also thanks for sharing that