Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

POE Experience Detroit Michigan.

POE Experience Detroit Michigan.

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Tkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default POE Experience Detroit Michigan.

Hi all, though I'd write my Poe experience.

Emtered the United States on Monday afternoon with a connecting flight to Knoxville Tennessee.
Landed around 1.10pm with a connecting flight around 1 hour and 50 minutes, which I was concerned about , but made sure, I was at the front of the plane and once departed I made sure I left very quickly for immigration clearance.
I will say it was very busy and nearly got in a line for ESTA , but asked an official and he directed me into a line for visa applicants, whatever the line was it was shorter, but still had 25 plus people ahead of me, so now the dismay of missing my flight was a real possibility....Ahead of me were foreign nationals and a couple of groups of Chinese nationals, and only 4 officers, working in there booths.

Finally was called to one of the booths and handed over my passport to the officer, who looked at my CR-1 visa and started to process it, he did ask where my white envelope was and I said, the U.S Embassy official stated that I would be processed without and it, and it was a new process that they were implementing. He did have another officer in the same booth who pointed out to him that on the left hand side , it stated (doc) and other information, that was to be uploaded onto his system. The officer asked me how much money I was bringing in, I gave a figure but thought this was a little odd.
Finally the officer who was sat behind him said follow me and took me into a secondry room and I was told to wait until I was called. After about 8 minutes another officer called my name , and asked me the date I got married and started to input the information. He stamped my passport with a 1 year stamp and informed my my conditional 2 year green card would arrive in the post, but he did not know when, but did say contact USCIS if it was over x amount of months , he then said follow me, took me to the door I walked in through and said, welcome to America... That was it.

Managed to get through security , pick up bags and finally get to and find my gate.. Yes flight was missed, so had to wait for next filight , that was another 2.5 hrs, but was upgraded to comfort plus.
While processing with both officials it was no more than 10 minutes plus , the problem was the time it took to be seen, so I would say, make sure you have plenty of time, between fights , yes your excited starting your new life, but that doesn't get you to the front any quicker, it's a battle zone at boarder control lol.

Thankyou for all the help given, BE expats and it's members giving advice throughout the process, it was brilliant. 12 months ago it felt daunting, but with a little research ,and questions answered the hardest point is the waiting... Due to being CR-1 I'll be around for quite awhile, due to removal of conditions etc and beyond...
Again......Thankyou....

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE Experience Detroit Michigan.

Welcome to the US. I'm pleased that your experience at the POE was pleasant and dealt with rather quickly. Your advice should be noted by all those needing to get to a connecting flight and one that we often stress ..... leave at least 2 hours between connections and if you can make it 3 hours, do so. Imagine if you were going through JFK or Chicago?

Thanks for the great write up.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Cash or cash equivalents brought into (or taken out of) the US exceeding $10,000 has to be reported, hence the question.

Congratulations on making it through though.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both....
Yes , I had noted this previous in other members write ups, but looking back 3 hours would have been perfect , but 2 whole days in it's being shelved in the back of my memories, but to everyone else, the longer the connecting flight wait, the easier and less stressful you will be...

Not that lucky, just over £2000 I'm afraid, but would have loved to have been able to bring more, after nearly 15 months of processing although 3 months were put on hold due to a planned trip and 1 or 2 mishaps, it's over.

Apart from the normal process, without complications , wether that's past or present, it's just a waiting game !!!!!!
Good luck all..

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 11:07 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, nice write up and welcome to America!
Old Apr 4th 2019, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by StuBear65
Well done, nice write up and welcome to America!
Thank you....
Old Apr 5th 2019, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Thank you for the helpful write-up.
Old Apr 5th 2019, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Muna_93
Congratulations! Thank you for the helpful write-up.
Your welcome.....