Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Please, will someone tell my wife that she's wrong?

Wikiposts

Please, will someone tell my wife that she's wrong?

Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Marky Mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please, will someone tell my wife that she's wrong?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The last 3 years are the ones you'll need for your visa interview, so those are a priority.

She should also file back tax returns eventually for the previous years.

Rene
The previous 22?!!!

That's going to prove impossible, the UK only requires you keep records for the last 5 years.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marky Mark
The previous 22?!!!

That's going to prove impossible, the UK only requires you keep records for the last 5 years.
I see. Well, she should do as much as she possibly can.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This has me a little concerned.
My American girlfriend and I are just in the early stages of planning our application to move Stateside, and were thinking of staying with her parents whilst we get on our feet.
She's been here 22 years (and owns a house here), but it now sounds like moving in with her parents would be a bad idea!
Have I got that right?
No, not at all. You've got to read what you read with distinction---the details are very important. If you re-read the post you quoted (to be fair, you'd have to read more of her posts to know the rest of the story) you can see that this was a fairly short term turnaround.. the USC had not been living in the UK for very long.
It is clear-cut that your GF's primary residence is in the UK; what she'll need to work on more is establishing her domicile in the US so that she qualifies to sponsor you with affidavit of support I-864.

There are links to info on that in this article that explains overseas filings (you know you need to be married to get an immigration benefit via your GF, right).

http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...read.php?t=824
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
She should also file back tax returns eventually for the previous years.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

US tax law requires that info be kept 7 years... and you'll be dealing with US tax law. Now, that said, I don't recall hearing from anyone over the years who has bothered to file more than the previous 3 years to satisfy immigration requirements. They may have filed, but if they have, they haven't reported it here.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 15th 2008 at 1:32 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:44 am
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
US tax law requires that info be kept 7 years... and you'll be dealing with US tax law. Now, that said, I don't recall hearing from anyone over the years who has bothered to file more than the previous 3 years to satisfy immigration requirements. They may have filed, but if they have, they haven't reported it here.

Ian
I was under the impression that it is 5 years.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 3:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alix
I was under the impression that it is 5 years.
http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i104....html#d0e54223
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:11 pm
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Rene A very useful website.

BTW, Is Noorah your daughters name? It means 'light' ...right?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Alix
Thank you Rene A very useful website.

BTW, Is Noorah your daughters name? It means 'light' ...right?
Hi Alix,

You are correct, Noorah means Light. It's my online name.

Rene