Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Please Please Just tell us what 2 do... :(

Wikiposts

Please Please Just tell us what 2 do... :(

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Please Just tell us what 2 do... :(

Originally Posted by onyxangel23
what a weirdo you come on here giving me advice then have the audacity to belittle my situation. interesting.
Please step back and take a breath.

I am one of the moderators of this forum, have been in this community for over 6 years and have successfully completed what you need to do. That's where I get my audacity. Where does yours come from?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:32 am
Just Joined

onyxangel23 is an unknown quantity at this point

you do that and yes you were directing that towards me. and you my friend are being disrespectful. you do that.

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 22nd 2008 at 5:56 am. Reason: You *can* click 'quote' to the post you actually are replying to, or use 'new reply' at the bottom of each page
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You may be right.
Now look what you started. <thumbs>
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:40 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Now look what you started. <thumbs>
Wasn't me! Was that Flinsky bloke trying to get me locked up!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:45 am
Just Joined

maybe so y dont you explain it then so i may further "understand" what you meant by that comment and your choice of words?

Originally Posted by meauxna
I find the content of your Post#3 to be disrespectful. I will let *another* moderator of this forum make the decision about what to do about that so you don't feel unfairly persecuted.
My comments were not directed to you and you clearly didn't understand them. Get a grip on yourself. <----official warning.

The irony of my needing to come back to approve your posts has not escaped me.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:55 am

maybe so y dont you explain it then so i may further "understand" what you meant by that comment and your choice of words?
I have sent you a Private Message; the link to your Inbox is in the top right corner of the page (near the big X )
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Jennifer,

Let's just move past all this and get back to your immigration questions. Since you have already met in person at least once during the past 2 years, why not use his visit this time to get the I-129F started towards the fiance visa. You can enjoy your time together, research the fiance visa, make some wedding plans (without putting anything financial on the line...you cant' make a specific wedding date), and start the K-1 fiance process by filing the I-129F. You can do that while he's still here.

Then he can go back to the UK, work on his business, and in about 8 to 10 months he'll have his K-1 visa, and he even has 6 more months to use it, so that gives you guys a good year to get everything planned, have him get his business to a better place, save some money for when he comes here, etc.

When he enters on his K-1, you must marry within 90 days, then apply for his green card, and he can stay in the USA permanently after that.

If it were me, that's what I would do.

Edited to add: and please don't say "because we want to be together NOW! You've been together 3 years already. One more year shouldn't kill your relationship.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 22nd 2008 at 5:58 am. Reason: added edit
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:26 am
Just Joined

hmm ok that sounds like a more logical approach I will propose that option to him and see where we stand. I didnt think you can fill that out while he is here I thought he had to be back in england to being the process....ok thanks norah yes your right 1 year shouldnt hurt I suppose.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Jennifer,

Let's just move past all this and get back to your immigration questions. Since you have already met in person at least once during the past 2 years, why not use his visit this time to get the I-129F started towards the fiance visa. You can enjoy your time together, research the fiance visa, make some wedding plans (without putting anything financial on the line...you cant' make a specific wedding date), and start the K-1 fiance process by filing the I-129F. You can do that while he's still here.

Then he can go back to the UK, work on his business, and in about 8 to 10 months he'll have his K-1 visa, and he even has 6 more months to use it, so that gives you guys a good year to get everything planned, have him get his business to a better place, save some money for when he comes here, etc.

When he enters on his K-1, you must marry within 90 days, then apply for his green card, and he can stay in the USA permanently after that.

If it were me, that's what I would do.

Edited to add: and please don't say "because we want to be together NOW! You've been together 3 years already. One more year shouldn't kill your relationship.

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:33 am
Just Joined

hmm ok that sounds like a more logical approach I will propose that option to him and see where we stand. I didnt think you can fill that out while he is here I thought he had to be back in england to being the process....ok thanks norah yes your right 1 year shouldnt hurt I suppose.
Norah question/// during the 6-8 months that the k1 is being processed am I allowed to go there and is he allowed to come here on visits? I thought that was a big no no.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Norah question/// during the 6-8 months that the k1 is being processed am I allowed to go there and is he allowed to come here on visits? I thought that was a big no no.
Yes, it's allowed for both of you. Just make sure he (or you) bring plenty of ties to your home countries to show, just in case the POE Officer asks to see anything.

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance (shhh its a secret) is coming to visit me from England to here(united states) we want to get married. Can we just get hitched while hes out here.
Getting married is fine. However, there is a question of intent when he enters the US (your intent is irrelevant... this is all on him). If he enters the US and knows in advance that he's going to marry and then return to the UK while a visa is processed... there's no problem. If he enters the US and knows in advance that he's going to marry and then stay to adjust his status in the US... well, that's illegal. It's all about intent at the Port of Entry (PoE)... and that's why it's known as the 10-foot pole issue! Just thought you'd appreciate a bit of the background!

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:42 am
Just Joined

omg! sweet lord that is what happened to me when I went to the england we had spoke of getting married just not at on that visit and I made the mistake of being a little too honest. "Oh yes mr immigration office we want to get married but not yet." stupid stupid stupid I didnt know any of these laws before going in and they nearly denied me entry, I couldnt for the life of me understand what the big deal was, but now I know they thought I was going to pull a fast one on them which was definitely not my intension wat so ever. but the damage had been done.
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Getting married is fine. However, there is a question of intent when he enters the US (your intent is irrelevant... this is all on him). If he enters the US and knows in advance that he's going to marry and then return to the UK while a visa is processed... there's no problem. If he enters the US and knows in advance that he's going to marry and then stay to adjust his status in the US... well, that's illegal. It's all about intent at the Port of Entry (PoE)... and that's why it's known as the 10-foot pole issue! Just thought you'd appreciate a bit of the background!

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 6:44 am
Just Joined

thanks for ringing that bell again and reminding me oh the scary no no. I guess its not ok to do that regaurdless what country you are trying to get into.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... stupid stupid stupid...
Don't be too hard on yourself. Most folks have absolutely no knowledge of their own (let alone some other) country's immigration rules and regulations... and why would they need to know? Except as it relates to some non-citizen who enters our life, most of us have no need for immigration services.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:25 am
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

I thought I would just add an alternative for you to think about.

If you want to be together ASAP then you could apply for a marriage visitor visa to come to the UK, get married and stay. There are two options here. The first allows for 6 months, the other for 2 years. The 6 month visa takes about a week to get, but then you still won't be through with trying to get your then husband to the US. The 2 year visa takes less than a month to get, and after you've been here on it for 6 months you should qualify for Direct Consular Filing of your I-130. If you are able to relocate to the UK for a year or two then it will be your quickest route to be together and get married legally. On the 2 year visa once you come over to get married you shouldn't have to spend any more time apart during immigration when you do decide to move back to the US.

Hope this helps with the decision making process.

Lyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.