Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

please help... regarding living with boyfriend in US

please help... regarding living with boyfriend in US

Old Jul 8th 2005, 2:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please help... regarding living with boyfriend in US

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I did NOT write that. Canadians can and do get H-1b status all the time. Please re-read what I wrote.

Yes you did write that ....

"In any case, Canadians never get H-1b visas. Related to H-1b, but somewhat different, there is a TN admission [the referral to a TN visa is an oxymoron for Candians]."
Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm just confused
Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

PHILLY2004 will become famous soon enough

I don't know if this is a option for the op but what about a student visa?
Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHILLY2004
I don't know if this is a option for the op but what about a student visa?

School in the US is roughly 10x the price it is in Canada for an equal or lesser education... not usually a great option for Canadians. However, crossing the border from Canada is not usually the hardest thing in the world, just to visit, as long as you have ties back home. Many many times I've driven across (recently, even) and not even been asked for I.D, let alone asked what I was doing in the country... I've crossed the border from Canada as a visitor, with no status in the US at least 50 times in the past and never once had a problem of any sort (actually, never had a problem until I became a CPR, then they took me into secondary, oddly enough). Some people do have issues with it - I guess it depends on your past, etc, but dont stress too much about it!
Old Jul 8th 2005, 3:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Canada does not utilize the VWP. She can come and visit the US for six months before needing to return. Getting across the border though might be difficult because of her age, no ties in Canada, a USC boyfriendm, etc. The same would hold true for the boyfriend. Canada is much the same as the US in the immigration area.
I thought they didn't have the vwp, which is why I wasn't sure when the OP mentioned using it
Old Jul 8th 2005, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

sarahg2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

i don't get why i'm not supposed to "shack up" with him.. if i'm allowed to stay for six months, why can't i stay with him for that time?
also, i'll be travelling by plane.. does that make any difference as far as being interviewed?
thanks for the help, everyone

Last edited by sarahg2005; Jul 8th 2005 at 4:13 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 4:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahg
i don't get why i'm not supposed to "shack up" with him.. if i'm allowed to stay for six months, why can't i stay with him for that time?
also, i'll be travelling by plane.. does that make any difference as far as being interviewed?
thanks for the help, everyone
Hi Sarah,

The difference is in the terminology. As a visitor to the USA, you are not supposed to be "living" here. If you intend to "live with" your boyfriend, that's not allowed. You are, however, able to "visit" the USA for 6 months. "Living" and "Visiting" are two different things.

I'm not sure how it works via flying, but just make sure to bring along proof of ties to Canada, just in case you do get asked at the POE.

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2005, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Sarah,

The difference is in the terminology. As a visitor to the USA, you are not supposed to be "living" here. If you intend to "live with" your boyfriend, that's not allowed. You are, however, able to "visit" the USA for 6 months. "Living" and "Visiting" are two different things.

I'm not sure how it works via flying, but just make sure to bring along proof of ties to Canada, just in case you do get asked at the POE.

Rene
thanks for the quick reply
what could i bring as proof? i don't have a job or residence (i currently live with my parents).. i guess the only thing i could say is that my family lives here.. and i'll have a return ticket... will they turn me away? i'm really nervous about that.... what are my chances if i don't have solid proof?
Old Jul 8th 2005, 4:38 pm
Eric S.

I think it's Mr. F. being his usual nitpicky self. The first time, he
wrote, "Canadians never get
H-1b VISAS". Then, he wrote, "Canadians can and do get H-1b STATUS all the
time".

I believe there's a different between visa and status.

- Eric S.

"andrea874" <member21863@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > > Yes you did write that ....
    > >
    > > "In any case, Canadians never get H-1b visas. Related to H-1b, but
    > > somewhat different, there is a TN admission [the referral to a TN visa
    > > is an oxymoron for Candians]."
    > Now I'm just confused :(
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 8th 2005, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

what could i bring as proof? i don't have a job or residence (i currently live with my parents).. i guess the only thing i could say is that my family lives here.. and i'll have a return ticket... will they turn me away? i'm really nervous about that.... what are my chances if i don't have solid proof?

Do you have bank accounts there? That might help. A return ticket is a good thing as well. Do you have any reason to come back -- ie. something you HAVE to be there for, that you can prove? Also, theres no guarentee that they're going to ask you specifics as to why youre going to the US. Don't volunteer extra information that they dont ask for. Plenty of times I've crossed, and all theyve asked is what I'm doing - to which I responded "visiting someone in [ whatever city ]" and they say, okay have fun. With that said, sometimes they WILL want to know specifics, which is why you need to get as much proof of your intent to return as you can. Also, if you fly through Vancouver or Montreal, you may clear customs in Canada, so you might want to try making your flight go that way, so that if you DO get denied you don't have so far to go back home...
Old Jul 8th 2005, 4:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And as a visitor you might be asked to show funds that you will use to finance your 6 month visit. You are not to come to the US to co-habit with a love-interest and have them support you while doing so.

I'm sorry about that but it applies to your country's regulations for Americans with love-interests in Canada as well.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andrea874
Do you have bank accounts there? That might help. A return ticket is a good thing as well. Do you have any reason to come back -- ie. something you HAVE to be there for, that you can prove? Also, theres no guarentee that they're going to ask you specifics as to why youre going to the US. Don't volunteer extra information that they dont ask for. Plenty of times I've crossed, and all theyve asked is what I'm doing - to which I responded "visiting someone in [ whatever city ]" and they say, okay have fun. With that said, sometimes they WILL want to know specifics, which is why you need to get as much proof of your intent to return as you can. Also, if you fly through Vancouver or Montreal, you may clear customs in Canada, so you might want to try making your flight go that way, so that if you DO get denied you don't have so far to go back home...
i do have a bank account, with a total of about $100 in it.. heh... would that help anyway? should i just bring my bankbook?
i really can't think of anything else... i'll just have to hope they don't ask too much
Old Jul 8th 2005, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

i do have a bank account, with a total of about $100 in it.. heh... would that help anyway? should i just bring my bankbook?
i really can't think of anything else... i'll just have to hope they don't ask too much

Yikes youve only got about $100? Thats not good! Theres a very very good chance that they'll ask you how much money you have on you, and how youre going to support yourself while youre in the US. Do you at least have a bunch of credit cards? Anything? I havent crossed the border in awhile, but from what I've heard they're really starting to tighten things up. Bring everything that has to do with the fact that youre going home that you can possibly think of, and... I personally wouldn't volunteer the information that he's your boyfriend, unless they specifically ask -- in which case, definately DON'T lie to them.. Yikes
Old Jul 8th 2005, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes you did write that ....

"In any case, Canadians never get H-1b visas. Related to H-1b, but somewhat different, there is a TN admission [the referral to a TN visa is an oxymoron for Candians]."
Hi Rete:

First you say that I write something and then rather than quoting that, you quote the sentence I actually wrote. There is absolutely NOTHING in that quoted language that says Canadians can't come to the US in H-1b status.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

jasonabc will become famous soon enough

apart from the bit that says "Canadians never get H-1b visas" you mean?

;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.