Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Please help: Questions about my CR1 I-751 application (removal of conditions)

Wikiposts

Please help: Questions about my CR1 I-751 application (removal of conditions)

Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:44 am
Banned

Reverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of light
Default Please help: Questions about my CR1 I-751 application (removal of conditions)

Hi folks. Well I'm into the 90 day window now before my two year anniversary as a CPR, and in the midst of sending off my I-751. There is one thing that may be a hiccup, and I would like your advice.

However, the only minor problem right now is that my wife has moved to Charlotte due to career reasons. While she has been forced to relocate, I have to remain here in Raleigh due to my own work commitments. I aim to be living back with my wife during the summer once the lease expires on this property and I am able to move to a virtual office with my company. How will this affect my application when I have to say that my wife and I are in different residences?

That aside, I have the following evidence attached to my application...will this be sufficient?

- joint tax returns for 2005
- joint rental agreements for the previous two years 2005 and 2006
- bank statements going back to June 2005 showing joint account and prove of two pay checks being deposited, etc.
- cell phone bill showing family plan
- joint car insurance
- joint IRA
- joint medical insurance
- marriage certificate, photos from wedding, cards, souvenirs, vacation photos, letters, and other "light" evidence

Is this enough? Bills are n/a because they are all in my name only. Do I need to include any affidavits of support, financial evidence, anything of this nature? Copies of any documents from the initial application, ie passport scans or anything of this nature?

Thanks everyone - I know this has no doubt been asked a thousand times before.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help: Questions about my CR1 I-751 application (removal of conditions)

Originally Posted by Reverend
How will this affect my application when I have to say that my wife and I are in different residences?
Where on the application does it say you have to say that?

It's acceptable to be temporarily separated for work or school purposes. You still have a joint life together.

The only thing I'd be wary of is moving after you've filed the I-751 but before you receive the 10-year card. Changing addresses with USCIS can be a nightmare.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:32 am
Banned

Reverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Please help: Questions about my CR1 I-751 application (removal of conditions)

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Where on the application does it say you have to say that?

It's acceptable to be temporarily separated for work or school purposes. You still have a joint life together.

The only thing I'd be wary of is moving after you've filed the I-751 but before you receive the 10-year card. Changing addresses with USCIS can be a nightmare.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Rene, thank you for your help. Part 4 of the I-751 asks about the spouse with whom you gained residency and asks for their address. I'm just worried that two different addresses may look odd...although if we were called for an interview, it could be easily explained.

Also, when they ask for evidence that we entered into a bona-fide marriage, does that mean evidence PRIOR to my arrival in the US (eg digging out the old phone bills, plane tickets, etc) or just evidence of our lives together in the US since my arrival?

Thank you.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rene, thank you for your help. Part 4 of the I-751 asks about the spouse with whom you gained residency and asks for their address. I'm just worried that two different addresses may look odd...although if we were called for an interview, it could be easily explained.
Oh, I see. I was thinking you both are still using one mailing address for all the important joint things like bank statements, bills, etc. As you said, it can easily be explained if an interview is called for.

Also, when they ask for evidence that we entered into a bona-fide marriage, does that mean evidence PRIOR to my arrival in the US (eg digging out the old phone bills, plane tickets, etc) or just evidence of our lives together in the US since my arrival?
I believe they are only asking for evidence of your joint life together since marrying.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:44 am
Banned

Oh, I see. I was thinking you both are still using one mailing address for all the important joint things like bank statements, bills, etc. As you said, it can easily be explained if an interview is called for.

I believe they are only asking for evidence of your joint life together since marrying.

Rene
Well thats the problem, we are. All our evidence shows us as living in one place and the car insurance, bank accounts, tax returns, etc are all still registered here. So it looks like everything, including me, is linked to Address A, except for my wife who is at Address B. But I'm sure we're not the first couple to be in a transitionary move due to career changes.

Thanks again Rene, you're a big help. Does the evidence list look good?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:48 am

Well thats the problem, we are. All our evidence shows us as living in one place and the car insurance, bank accounts, tax returns, etc are all still registered here. So it looks like everything, including me, is linked to Address A, except for my wife who is at Address B. But I'm sure we're not the first couple to be in a transitionary move due to career changes.

Thanks again Rene, you're a big help. Does the evidence list look good?
I'm not at this point yet in our immigration process, but your list looks similar to other's posts.

In fact, my husband and I are in the same situation. We both live in Phoenix, and that is our permanent resident. All our mail, in both our names, comes to our home in Phoenix. My husband works and stays much of the time in Los Angeles. It never occurred to me to use his address where he stays in LA as part of the I-751 form, since he receives no mail there. Our home is in Phoenix.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:02 am
Banned

I'm not at this point yet in our immigration process, but your list looks similar to other's posts.

In fact, my husband and I are in the same situation. We both live in Phoenix, and that is our permanent resident. All our mail, in both our names, comes to our home in Phoenix. My husband works and stays much of the time in Los Angeles. It never occurred to me to use his address where he stays in LA as part of the I-751 form, since he receives no mail there. Our home is in Phoenix.

Rene
Yeah, this makes perfect sense for you guys. My situation is a little different as my wife is living in what WILL be our home. In a nutshell, she was called to a different city as part of her job, but I was unable to follow her due to my own work commitments. However my bosses are letting me switch to virtual offices (work from home) next year. So my wife has made the move to our future home, and I am here while the current lease expires, fulfill my work commitments, etc and then move with her. I just don't want USCIS asking why we have two separate residences with two separate bills, etc.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:11 pm

Yeah, this makes perfect sense for you guys. My situation is a little different as my wife is living in what WILL be our home. In a nutshell, she was called to a different city as part of her job, but I was unable to follow her due to my own work commitments. However my bosses are letting me switch to virtual offices (work from home) next year. So my wife has made the move to our future home, and I am here while the current lease expires, fulfill my work commitments, etc and then move with her. I just don't want USCIS asking why we have two separate residences with two separate bills, etc.
First you said: "All our evidence shows us as living in one place and the car insurance, bank accounts, tax returns, etc are all still registered here."

Then you said: " .....why we have two separate residences with two separate bills, etc."

If all your evidence shows you living in one place and all the items are in joint name, I still don't see a problem using THAT as your address for both of you. True, your wife has gone ahead to start working in the new place....but you are both still maintaining the first place. Your wife just isn't physically there right now, because of her work, but she still uses that as the primary mailing address for your joint items. That's my take on it.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why not do the most straightforward thing and include all your evidence and be sure to include a letter stating why there are two different addresses on the I-751 and when the anticipated date of your move to Charlotte will be. I would also list the Charlotte address as the address for mail delivery.

Also note that your wife, if she is your financial sponsor, needs to file an I-865 showing her change of address and you will do an AR-11 when you have made the move.