Wikiposts

please help !

Old Nov 8th 2002, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

thanchaur is on a distinguished road
Default please help !

"A US permanent resident has proposed marriage with me. I am in Nepal. He is also a Nepalese citizen. Right now, he is also in Nepal for sometime. He wants to marry me. My parents want me to be married with him. I find him a nice man. He came here to get me. I also want to be married with him.

But the question is: can I get visa to come to the US with him right after the marriage? Or I will have to wait? What should we do as he wants to come to the US soon after the marriage to join his work? How long will I have to wait, if so, to fulfill the visa procedures if it takes time? Please help me. It is vital in my decision to get married.".
Old Nov 8th 2002, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: please help !

"A US permanent resident has proposed marriage with me. I am in Nepal. He is also a Nepalese citizen. Right now, he is also in Nepal for sometime. He wants to marry me. My parents want me to be married with him. I find him a nice man. He came here to get me. I also want to be married with him.

But the question is: can I get visa to come to the US with him right after the marriage? Or I will have to wait? What should we do as he wants to come to the US soon after the marriage to join his work? How long will I have to wait, if so, to fulfill the visa procedures if it takes time? Please help me. It is vital in my decision to get married.".
There are quite a lot of postings in the archives that you might want to go back to for more details and timelines. I am not very familiar with the permanent resident issue, but from reading this newsgroup, it is my understanding that once, you are married, you have to wait for a visa number to be able to enter the US (and live with your husband). People mentionned long waiting times (several years) for obtaining a visa number.

Now, if this man that you are considering marrying is eligible for US citizenship soon, the process would be much faster. Indeed, if he is a US citizen, he has 2 options:
- K-1 fiance visa
- K-3 spousal visa
These visas take much less time to obtain. But I don't know how long it takes to process a citizenship application to add to the time to get your visa.

Hope that helps,
Caroline
Old Nov 8th 2002, 2:02 pm
Bilal1265

well it depends,which states is he from?
if he is from texas then 500-600days
http://www.immigration.com/processing-times/
or check this site,see which states he is from and it will tell the current
dates ins processing

Old Nov 8th 2002, 3:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming he is not a US citizen but is coming to the US on an H-1B work visa. If this is so, I believe he can file an H-4 for you to follow/enter with him as his spouse.

I am not completely familiar with this visa but there are two attorneys on this particular newsgroup who might know. Also you question might be ask at the alt.visa.us newsgroup where questions regarding work visas and spouses are very common.

Rete

Originally posted by thanchaur

Old Nov 8th 2002, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

I am assuming he is not a US citizen but is coming to the US on an H-1B work visa. If this is so, I believe he can file an H-4 for you to follow/enter with him as his spouse.
She said that he was a US permanent resident, not an H1-B visa holder. Good old immigration laws you can bring your wife if you are on a non-immigrant visa (H1-B, J-1, F-1, & Co. ) but you have to wait for ever if you are a US permanent resident.

Caroline
Old Nov 9th 2002, 2:56 pm
Mrtravel

He is a permanent resident, so it is going to take a lot longer than
that.

BILAL1265 wrote:
    >
    > well it depends,which states is he from?
    > if he is from texas then 500-600days
    > http://www.immigration.com/processing-times/
    > or check this site,see which states he is from and it will tell the current
    > dates ins processing