Reload this Page >

Please explain in simple terms

Wikiposts

Please explain in simple terms

Old May 20th 2004, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

angst_central is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please explain in simple terms

Hi everyone. I hope there is someone who can help me. I live in the UK and my boyfriend lives in the USA. We would like to get married in the UK and then travel back to the US to live. I have read so much stuff about this but it is all so confusing. I have so many questions but all I keep being blasted with is technical jargon that I can't understand. I don't even know if my fiance can just travel here as a tourist and marry me and then we cam file out paperwork.

Is there anyone who knows about this stuff and can explain it in SIMPLE terms. I would really appreciate some help

Thanks

Last edited by angst_central; May 20th 2004 at 5:29 pm.
Old May 20th 2004, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

mpd131 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please explain in simple terms

Since you want to get married in the UK, there is a 'fiance visa' that open to your US fiance. Go to this link:

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/othe...5&Other_ID=320

As far as I know, its basically a 6 month visa where she can come and stay there, but cannot work (you have to get married within that 6 month timeframe). Then I believe she applies for a 'Leave to Remain', which is how she gets a work permit, etc. This is the legal way to do it. I have no idea what the restrictions are on whether she can come there and you can apply from there, or whether she can come and you can get married and then apply for leave to remain.

If you want to settle in the US, the process is much different. She applies for a K-1 visa (fiance visa) where you have to get married in the US, or if you guys get married and you want to come settle in the use, she files for a K-3 spousal visa. Thats more or less what this newsgroup focuses on rather than those cases of people who are getting married in the UK....
Old May 20th 2004, 5:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Go here for all the info laid out in a simple format
http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm
Old May 21st 2004, 4:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by angst_central
Hi everyone. I hope there is someone who can help me. I live in the UK and my boyfriend lives in the USA. We would like to get married in the UK and then travel back to the US to live.
If your b/f intends on maintaining his US residence throughout, there is only one real option: K3.

As a USC he does not need a UK Fiance visa to enter the country to marry you (and return home). There are some local residency issues pertaining to the marriage itself; he may have to be in the UK for 2 weeks prior to the ceremony, depending on the local rules where your ceremony will be.

If you pursue a US K1 Fiance visa, you will have to marry in the US.

This NG does focus on people who marry elsewhere in the world but want to immigrate to the US and if you make sure to untick the box that says 'do not send to Usenet' you will be able to reach *all* of the people who read and post to this group.

This link may break it down in more simple terms for you:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=compare