Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

please don't shout at me...(I most likely know the answer!)

Wikiposts

please don't shout at me...(I most likely know the answer!)

Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

grenfellruth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default please don't shout at me...(I most likely know the answer!)

ok..so I'm travelling to the US on Saturday on k1 visa, wedding is on the 6th August and we will be filing the AOS paperwork the following week.

we're looking to come back to Scotland for Christmas and I know the AOS should take 90 days (?) so the question...

should we leave all booking of flights until I get the re-entry permit or the green card? obviously flights are non refundable and I don't want caught in that trap

anyway sure I've answered my own question!

and Ian (if you read this)..be nice!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please don't shout at me...(I most likely know the answer!)

Originally Posted by grenfellruth
ok..so I'm travelling to the US on Saturday on k1 visa, wedding is on the 6th August and we will be filing the AOS paperwork the following week.
Excellent!

we're looking to come back to Scotland for Christmas and I know the AOS should take 90 days (?) so the question...
There's no guarantee AOS will happen within 90 days. I'd say shoot for 6 months, and be pleasantly surprised if it happens sooner. You might get your Advance Parole document within 60 days after filing AOS, or you might not.

should we leave all booking of flights until I get the re-entry permit or the green card?
You won't be applying for a re-entry permit anyway. You'll be applying for an Advance Parole (AP) document. You can either wait until you have the AP in hand, or your green card in hand in order to be safe to travel and return to the USA. It's up to you when you want to book the flights, but it will be hard to give a firm date for booking until you know when you'll have those documents in hand.

obviously flights are non refundable and I don't want caught in that trap
If you want to avoid any non-use of non-refundable tickets, and you don't want to pay the extra charge for changing a refundable or changeable ticket, then I'd wait until you firmly have either AP or green card in hand, then purchase the tickets.

Generally speaking, if you file AOS by mid-August, you could have your AP document by mid-October. You could possibly have your green card by December. There's just no guarantee and no way of knowing ahead of time.

By the way, if you find yourself back in the UK (by using AP), and you get notice of your AOS interview date, and it falls during the time you plan to still be in the UK, you should definitely change plans and return to the USA to attend the AOS interview. Don't try to reschedule that.

Rene
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

is it like shooting yourself in the foot to attempt to reschedule?

we'll only be going back for ten days so hopefully it wouldn't clash but as with most things in life it probably will!

thanks for your reply!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:05 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

More like shooting yourself at the other end of your leg.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by grenfellruth
is it like shooting yourself in the foot to attempt to reschedule?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

Regards, JEff
Ouch..nice visual.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:49 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

Regards, JEff
OW OW OW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~SecretGarden
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

Ignore all these negative people. Tell your other half that you will take them to GLASGOW come hell or high water!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

lol thanks for all the replies and the nice visuals!