Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Please check my AOS packet checklist (AOS based on marriage to USC)

Wikiposts

Please check my AOS packet checklist (AOS based on marriage to USC)

Old May 8th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

ken27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please check my AOS packet checklist (AOS based on marriage to USC)

Hello,

I'm applying for AOS (+EAD, AP) based on marriage to a USC from J-1 exchange visitor status. My status is valid until August and the two year rule does not apply in my case. We married this year.

I'd appreciate comments on my checklist below. I've looked at several lists on this site and they seem to include items that are not necessary (any more?). As has been suggested in past posts, I don't want to give the USCIS officers any unnecessary extra pages to wade through.

As an aside, since all documents are now scanned at the lockbox, do you know if these are electronically sent to the relevant service center / USCIS office?

• One check combining all fees ($1490 in my case), stapled to top form
  • I-485 form
  • Two photos of the beneficiary
  • Copy of beneficiary's birth certificate
  • My nonimmigrant visa was issued over a year ago, so I don't need to include it according to the instructions
  • I-693 from civil surgeon, in sealed envelope
  • Beneficiary's G-325A
  • I-864 form (we are using the beneficiary's foreign cash assets to meet the requirement since the sponsor (my wife) is a student)
  • Copy of sponsor's 2010 tax return including W2's and 1099's
  • Sheet explaining that there is no restriction on transferring the assets to the US
  • Bank statement(s) for the relevant account, covering the last 12 months
  • I-130 form
  • One photo each of the beneficiary and the petitioner
  • Copy of the petitioner's birth certificate (she was born in the US)
  • Copy of our marriage certificate (we married in the US)
  • Petitioner's G-325A
  • Beneficiary's G-325A
  • Copies of joint bank account statements as evidence of comingling of finances (we don't have any of the other suggested evidence yet apart from photos, emails, etc. which we'll bring to the interview)
  • I-131 form
  • Copy of the beneficiary's passport as the ID document
  • Copy of visa and I-94 front and back as evidence of present USCIS status
  • Explanation sheet for why AP is warranted for Part 7 of form. (Not sure if this is necessary given that I'm co-filing with I-485).
  • Supporting documents for this explanation (contract for research fellowship I must complete in Ireland)
  • I-765 form
  • Copy of visa
  • I-94 is not required since the category is (c)(9), i.e. AOS
Old May 8th 2011, 11:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please check my AOS packet checklist (AOS based on marriage to USC)

Originally Posted by ken27
[*]My nonimmigrant visa was issued over a year ago, so I don't need to include it according to the instructions
I would go ahead and include a copy of your J-1 visa. It's only 1 more sheet of paper, and you don't want someone sending you an RFE for it, to see if it has the 2-year HRR on it.

Also, I would send 2 separate checks. One for the I-130 fee, clipped to the I-130 application; and one for the AOS fee, clipped to the I-485 application.

Just my layman's suggestions.

Rene
Old May 9th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I would go ahead and include a copy of your J-1 visa. It's only 1 more sheet of paper, and you don't want someone sending you an RFE for it, to see if it has the 2-year HRR on it.

Also, I would send 2 separate checks. One for the I-130 fee, clipped to the I-130 application; and one for the AOS fee, clipped to the I-485 application.

Just my layman's suggestions.

Rene
I think that it is a good idea to provide the DS-2019 form. Also, as a general rule, a copy of the visa page and entry stamp should be provided. If nothing else, it avoids the "visa number" question anxiety!

I also see a few other things. However, I still recall that to provide detailed answers to questions like this one can be considered rude and condescending by people -- so furthermore deponent sayeth not.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Mr. F, I'd appreciate any comments, no matter the nature. I will not take insult. My only goal is to make the AOS process as smooth as possible. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd prefer not to make your comments public. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thanks also Rene. I see your point about the HRR.
Old May 9th 2011, 7:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

I also see a few other things. However, I still recall that to provide detailed answers to questions like this one can be considered rude and condescending by people -- so furthermore deponent sayeth not.
tut tut, you know the famous saying around here.. 'Dice have no memory'.

If you are not going to make the comment, there is no point in making the snipe.

And I see OP has now given you permission to insult him.
Old May 11th 2011, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Mailed my packet this afternoon, all 1.2 lbs of it! 72 pages plus checks and photos, which is probably on the small side, based on the checklists I've seen people post!

I'll start a thread on my experience once things get moving.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

Cheers,
Ken