Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Playing the waiting game again..

Wikiposts

Playing the waiting game again..

Old Jun 1st 2004, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Playing the waiting game again..

Well, we went to the Louisville, KY office today to file the I-485 and I-765 for Scott. We got there right at 7:30 when they opened, and there were about 10 people in the room already. We waited about 30 minutes before we were called to a window . The lady said our personal checks were acceptable, even though they were made out to USCIS and not US Treasury as a sign in the waiting room stated. She briefly glanced through the documents, made a statement about Scott having came in on the K1, and then told us that they are sending all applications to Chicago, and that it could take up to 90 days to get a receipt.

I asked if she could give any kind of receipt proving we've filed and she said no. I found it funny that she said they send the applications to the Chicago office because I called the mis-information line last week and the guy told me that very rarely do files get sent anywhere, and that most local offices do the adjudication, unless they are overburdened. Guess that shows, once again, just how much those monkeys don't know. We're just not very happy that we had to walk away with absolutely no proof of us having turned in our application, but nothing we can do about it either.

Our question is, if it could take up to 90 days to get a receipt, how the heck can we prove the date that we filed so that we could possibly get him an interim EAD after we've waited 90 days? Or is he not entitled to an interim EAD since this is his first application for one?

Cheers all!
Jamie
Old Jun 1st 2004, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playing the waiting game again..

If you are lucky the back of your check will have a legible 13 digit number. Three letters and ten numbers. I mailed mine and never received a receipt. I did clearly print on the front Fee payment for I-765. Our 90 days is about 10 June. So it is my intention to show up with the canceled check and request an interim EAD, if we don't have EAD in hand .

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Well, we went to the Louisville, KY office today to file the I-485 and I-765 for Scott. We got there right at 7:30 when they opened, and there were about 10 people in the room already. We waited about 30 minutes before we were called to a window . The lady said our personal checks were acceptable, even though they were made out to USCIS and not US Treasury as a sign in the waiting room stated. She briefly glanced through the documents, made a statement about Scott having came in on the K1, and then told us that they are sending all applications to Chicago, and that it could take up to 90 days to get a receipt.

I asked if she could give any kind of receipt proving we've filed and she said no. I found it funny that she said they send the applications to the Chicago office because I called the mis-information line last week and the guy told me that very rarely do files get sent anywhere, and that most local offices do the adjudication, unless they are overburdened. Guess that shows, once again, just how much those monkeys don't know. We're just not very happy that we had to walk away with absolutely no proof of us having turned in our application, but nothing we can do about it either.

Our question is, if it could take up to 90 days to get a receipt, how the heck can we prove the date that we filed so that we could possibly get him an interim EAD after we've waited 90 days? Or is he not entitled to an interim EAD since this is his first application for one?

Cheers all!
Jamie
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
If you are lucky the back of your check will have a legible 13 digit number. Three letters and ten numbers. I mailed mine and never received a receipt. I did clearly print on the front Fee payment for I-765. Our 90 days is about 10 June. So it is my intention to show up with the canceled check and request an interim EAD, if we don't have EAD in hand .
Ahhh..good point LP. I forgot about using the cancelled check because I don't get my cancelled checks from my bank every month. Guess I'll call and special request these checks be sent to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed (but won't hold my breath) that our checks will have a receipt number on them.

Thanks!
Jamie
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get cancelled checks either...But I can print one out from online. Fact of the matter is that most banks that offer "papreless" banking destroy the checks. My reciept number was there but all but illegible. I made a SWAG and it is a number for an EAD but is it MY number? Time will tell.

Ahhh..good point LP. I forgot about using the cancelled check because I don't get my cancelled checks from my bank every month. Guess I'll call and special request these checks be sent to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed (but won't hold my breath) that our checks will have a receipt number on them.

Thanks!
Jamie
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Thanks!
Jamie
If your bank offers it, sign up for online banking. I can print the front and backs of cancelled checks through my credit union's system.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:30 am
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

We filed in person at our local office in VT and walked out without a receipt as they don't issue one. We're due to get an NOA any day now. We were also told that all I-485 applications are now being sent to Missouri despite VT being one of the quietest offices. The officer told us this was because the powers that be wanted everyone to get equal treatment, so by sending everything to one site they would slow VT down and speed up larger offices up to make everything fair. He said all this with tongue firmly in cheek as you can imagine.

Jayne
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

kariml is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers all!
Jamie
Hi Jamie

We were given a hand written receipt, kind of like something from a diner or gas station. We of course lost it soon after, so it didn't really matter. Our case was sent to Memphis, but we did not receive a receipt from them.

One of my girlfriends who is an immigration attorney just recently has a meeting at the local office and was told that they are very overburdened, which is part of the reason why they are approving without interviews.

Did you apply for the 1 year EAD?

Just pay attention to the processing dates on their website. I contacted Ann Northup's office when our case had exceeded those times. He has his approval and card in the mail just 3 weeks later.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 4:45 am
Welsh Wife

JohnCindy is on a distinguished road

Cheers all!
Jamie
I hear ya Jamie on the hurry up and wait syndrome!! You get all that stuff done and wait and wait for your letter for your AOS. We are currently waiting for that to come. Seems like ages ago since we filed our EAD and AP.

Good luck on the EAD process. It wasn't too painful

Cindy
Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:18 am
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13 She briefly glanced through the documents, made a statement about Scott having came in on the K1, and then told us that they are sending all applications to Chicago, and that it could take up to 90 days to get a receipt.
Actually, what I had thought, because of what I read ages ago, is that all AOS applications were now being sent to NBC(formerly MSC). It was just a matter of time before they started sending them all there.

I was sure it was either Matt or Folinsky who posted about it and I tried searching posts by them but they have SO many posts to go through. The closest thing I could find that might have been what I read is the below linked thread. Although, upon reading it (again?), I think it was not including K-1 AOSes, but I had interpretted it that way...and as dumb luck would have it, I turned out to be right.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=150750

Carey & Paul in our Yahoo group recently tried to file their AOS, EAD, AP in Detroit and were told to mail it in, that all apps were now being sent to the NBC. They will have to wait for receipt as well...*if* they should ever actually be sent one. Many people never do get a receipt.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to hear something about your adjustment of status.

Good luck!
Old Jun 1st 2004, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Which is something the CIS is doing that at least makes a bit of sense. I mean after all with all the info that must be submitted in order to get the K-1/3 what NEW data must be collected?!!! Just charge the money and issue the card for heavens sake!!

Anthony & Angela
__________________________________________________ __
One of my girlfriends who is an immigration attorney just recently has a meeting at the local office and was told that they are very overburdened, which is part of the reason why they are approving without interviews.
__________________________________________________ __
Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

What about if you pay them by money order?? I guess we dont get those back. How can we find out if they have banked those? Any ideas anyone?

Gisela
Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't suppose you have the number from the money order?
\
Originally posted by whistlestop01
What about if you pay them by money order?? I guess we dont get those back. How can we find out if they have banked those? Any ideas anyone?

Gisela
Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

I don't suppose you have the number from the money order?
\
I Have the copy of the money order.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Contact the people who issued the money order they should be able to help you.

Originally posted by whistlestop01
I Have the copy of the money order.
Old Jun 1st 2004, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Contact the people who issued the money order they should be able to help you.
Thanks IPDiver it is my bank that issued the money orders as at that time i didnt have an account but just opened one up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.