PLanning to marry a USC in UK then move to US

Wikiposts

PLanning to marry a USC in UK then move to US

Old May 27th 2008, 2:07 am
Just Joined

mrjamie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PLanning to marry a USC in UK then move to US

Hi,

I've been reading this forum all morning and have got a bit lost... Please could someone offer some definitive advice as to what the best course of action would be.

My fiancée and myself have been together for 5 years and plan to marry in September, then move to the States to live.

She had IDR here in the UK and has been here for the past 5 and a half years.

We were planning to marry, then pack up our things and move to the States to continue our lives together, but after doing some research I have begun to realise that this may not be as simple as I (naively) first thought. It seems like we might have to wait here in the UK before we can go to the States permanently?

What are the processes involved? Should I start something rolling now?

Thank you, J.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PLanning to marry a USC in UK then move to US

The USC needs to file form I-130 directly to London. This is possible in your situation because the USC has been resident in the UK for 6+ months. That process on this forum is called Direct Consular Filing (DCF). Do a search for posts by meauxna, you'll see links in her signature line for directions on the best way to accomplish this.

It will take about 4 - 6 months for you (the UKC) to get your immigrant visa, after you get married and submit the I-130. You will also need to get a police report, see the sticky post about that at the top of this forum.

Hopefully the USC has been filing her US taxes while she's been in the USA, she will need to submit 3 years of the most current tax returns as part of the I-864 Affidavit of Support.

For now, you can look up meauxna's signature and read about DCF. You can go to www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, and read about the I-130 and I-864.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 27th 2008, 2:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrjamie
Should I start something rolling now?
There's not much you can do right now except get your police report, and get a record of your vaccinations. You'll need to be married before you can start the immigration process.

Rene
Old May 27th 2008, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

jeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nicejeffmich2007 is just really nice

Hi,

I've been reading this forum all morning and have got a bit lost... Please could someone offer some definitive advice as to what the best course of action would be.

My fiancée and myself have been together for 5 years and plan to marry in September, then move to the States to live.

She had IDR here in the UK and has been here for the past 5 and a half years.

We were planning to marry, then pack up our things and move to the States to continue our lives together, but after doing some research I have begun to realise that this may not be as simple as I (naively) first thought. It seems like we might have to wait here in the UK before we can go to the States permanently?

Thank you, J.
I am sure you can Direct Consular Filing through London once your married....that process is much faster then filing application in USA.
Some other knowlegeable people will be on here soon to give you a definite answer. Right now as i read your post it would be better for you to get married in UK and then file direct in London...approx 6 months for visa to be issued or so i beleive.

Good luck
Michelle
Old May 27th 2008, 2:27 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Welcome to BE. There is a process involved, and it'll take 6 or so months before you'll have a visa to move to the US. To get the ball rolling, your USC wife will need to d/l and complete form I-130 and submit it, and the supporting evidence to the London consulate. All forms are available at www.uscis.gov. Has she been filing a US tax return while she's lived in the UK? If she hasn't, she'll need to get this taken care of ASAP. The consulate has an IRS section that I understand is really quite helpful.

There's more... but I don't want to overwhelm you! Baby steps... that's the ticket!

Ian
Old May 27th 2008, 2:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

She needs her UK citizenship before you leave.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:47 am
Just Joined

Well no tax returns have even been done whilst she's been living here in the UK in the past 5 and a half years, her accountant in the US said she didn't have to whilst she wasn't earning money in the US.

Is this a problem?
Old May 27th 2008, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Well no tax returns have even been done whilst she's been living here in the UK in the past 5 and a half years, her accountant in the US said she didn't have to whilst she wasn't earning money in the US.

Is this a problem?
Hi:

First some caveats -- First, I may be a lawyer, but I am not YOUR lawyer. Second, I am not an expert in tax law. The following are some general thoughts and not to be construed as legal advice.

I believe the accountant was being practical. Your wife, as a U.S. citizen, is required to report WORLDWIDE income on her annual tax return.

However, there is a beastie called a foreign earned income deduction -- which is around $80,000 or so per year. [I'm not sure -- but I think it has been increased]. Accordingly, most US Expats end up paying no tax on the return.

As noted above, there is a requirement to file annual returns. Failure to do so is subject to a penalty expressed as a percentage of the tax owed. There is also interest charged on the tax owed.

Once you have determined that no tax is owing, it is easy to figure out the amount of the penalty -- nothing.

So, she is pretty clear on the tax laws. However, the I-864 in the immigration end of things requires that she provide her last three years of US tax returns [actually, last tax return but information off last three]. So, she should take care of that ASAP by filing for 2007 [not late yet for overseas filers] and late filed 2006 & 2005 returns.

On the I-864, you will have to have 3x assets of 125% poverty level OR have a job lined up in the US. If not, you will need a co-sponsor in the US. These details are a different topic.
Old May 27th 2008, 4:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, J.
This is the overview and filing procedure for a USC living abroad, married to a non-USC and wanting to move/immigrate to the US.

DCF - Filing your I-130 abroad - Direct Consular Filing (DCF)

Instructions for Filing an I-130 & I-360 with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services office in London

I-130 Petition for Alien Spouse

Check back before you run off an put things in the post; there are a couple of little quirks n' tips that can improve your petition/application.

Expect the process to take 4-6 months from mailing the petition to visa in hand.
Old May 27th 2008, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
She needs her UK citizenship before you leave.
No she doesn't, that's going to confuse the OP! It's adviseable for her to get UK citizenship before she leaves, so it's easier for her to get back into the UK if she ever needs to.

Her UK Citizenship (or lack of) is irrelevant to your spousal visa process.

Other points on this thread:

1) The current (2007) allowance for foreign-earned income is the equivalent of $83,500.

2) Yes she will need to file the last 3 year's tax returns. I just did this so ask if you want any pointers on that.

Rough timeline:

Marry - your USC spouse is now eligible to submit I-130 in London
As soon as you have your marriage certificate (i.e. within days) you can submit I-130 form (needs a copy of the marriage cert to accompany application)
I-130 processing approx 11 weeks at present
While I-130 is processing you can get caught up with her taxes and gather the other paperwork ready for visa application
After I-130 approval submit DS-230 part 1
DS-230 part 1 submission to interview date usually 8-10 weeks
Upon successful interview your passport with IR-1 visa will be back in a few days.

Total about 5 months start to finish.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; May 27th 2008 at 5:40 am.
Old May 27th 2008, 7:56 am
Just Joined

BritishGuy36 - Thank you!

That's exactly the information that I needed, a nice time line of events and when / what to do at each stage!

Seems like there's not much to do apart from fill out a few forms... and lots of waiting around!

On a side-note, before I start a new thread... I'm planning on being self-employed in the states (I run a successful one man web design business here in the UK) and my soon-to-be wife probably won't be looking for work. In a nutshell, is it best to continue to run my company as if I'm still living in the UK to start with and setup the US company when I'm there OR start / register the company in the states before we move?
Old May 27th 2008, 8:08 am

On a side-note, before I start a new thread... I'm planning on being self-employed in the states (I run a successful one man web design business here in the UK) and my soon-to-be wife probably won't be looking for work. In a nutshell, is it best to continue to run my company as if I'm still living in the UK to start with and setup the US company when I'm there OR start / register the company in the states before we move?
Related to your question: If your income will continue from the same source once you are inside the USA, you can include your income on your wife's I-864 affidavit of support. If your income will not continue from the same source, you will need to either use assets or a joint sponsor.

I think what I'm trying to say is, what you do with your business might affect the I-864, so take a look into that.

Rene
Old May 27th 2008, 8:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
No she doesn't, that's going to confuse the OP! It's adviseable for her to get UK citizenship before she leaves, so it's easier for her to get back into the UK if she ever needs to.

Her UK Citizenship (or lack of) is irrelevant to your spousal visa process
Would be stoopid not to.

I use need in the Yankee sense.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I use need in the Yankee sense.
oooh, that is on my pet peeve list.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Upon successful interview your passport with IR-1 visa will be back in a few days.
no it won't ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.