Reload this Page >

Planning to get married next year

Planning to get married next year

Old Sep 15th 2018, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Mamma Mia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning to get married next year

Hello hello dear members,

I would like some enlightenment on these matters as I am completely new to this, pleeeeease.

I'm a Flight attendant for a UK carrier and fly internationally. My fiancee is a US citizen (living in the US) and I am a UK citizen (living in the UK) but I travel regularly to see him - work and leisure.
We are planning to get married next year, but not sure how to go about it.
I have two visas in my passport a B1-B2 and a crew C1-D.
1) When we get married will I still be able to work, keep my crew visa C1-D and enter and exit the US?
2) Will my B1-B2 be cancelled?
3) We wanted to get married in Vegas, but it seems I need a different visa? Is that correct?
4) Which of the 2 visas will not affect my job K1 or CR1, as I still have to work for my airline..

Thank you for the assistance.

Apologies for the long post but I'm still learning about the different visas...
Old Sep 15th 2018, 1:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to get married next year

Welcome to BE.

I have trimmed your thread...leaving your post asking about marrying a USC. I have also renamed it and moved it into the Married Based Visas forum.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 1:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Getting married in Vegas will have zero effect on your US immigration status. You don’t need a different visa to marry on. If you marry on your current status then K1 won’t be an option any longer as that’s for fiancé(e)s. How many passport(s) do you have?
Old Sep 15th 2018, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

I have an UK and Portuguese passport
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Are your visas in the same passport?
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Yes same passport
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:08 pm

And how often do you travel to the US for work?
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mamma Mia
Hello hello dear members,

I would like some enlightenment on these matters as I am completely new to this, pleeeeease.

I'm a Flight attendant for a UK carrier and fly internationally. My fiancee is a US citizen (living in the US) and I am a UK citizen (living in the UK) but I travel regularly to see him - work and leisure.
We are planning to get married next year, but not sure how to go about it.
I have two visas in my passport a B1-B2 and a crew C1-D.
I see you have citizenship from Portugal and from the UK. So either citizenship works well for the US.

1) When we get married will I still be able to work, keep my crew visa C1-D and enter and exit the US?
Yes. Your marriage to a US citizen will not have any direct bearing on your use of your current visas.

2) Will my B1-B2 be cancelled?
You asked the same question above and again the answer your marriage will not affect your visa.

3) We wanted to get married in Vegas, but it seems I need a different visa? Is that correct?
You do not require a visa to marry in the US, unlike with the UK. You can go to Las Vegas, apply for your marriage license and get married, and leave the US within the time allotted you at your POE entrance. No problem.

4) Which of the 2 visas will not affect my job K1
With a K-1, you will need permission from the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Service) to leave and return to the US without abandoning your pending adjustment of status status.

Actually, you are asking questions without telling us what it is you are planning to do after your marriage to a USC. Do you plan on continue living in the UK and just visiting your husband when you come to the US for work and a week or two here or there. Or are you planning on emigrating to the US? What you answer will determine what you need to do and what your ability to continue working with the airline will be.

Frankly, for you and the desire to continue working for the airline, then the K-1 is NOT the visa for you. You would not be allowed to travel once you are married and apply for adjustment of status to permanent resident for 3 to 6 months. A long time not to be working if you wish to remain at your present employer.

Have you done any research on this subject matter? At the start of this forum is a link to a comparison chart for the K-1 vs CR-1. I strongly suggest you read it. Then once you have your head wrapped around things, ask your questions and forum members will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for the assistance.

Apologies for the long post but I'm still learning about the different visas...

Last edited by Rete; Sep 15th 2018 at 2:18 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

It depends... Between 2-4 trips a month.....
Generally there every month...
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Hence why if my crew visa gets cancelled, that's then a bit tricky for me.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
I see you have citizenship from Portugal and from the UK. So either citizenship works well for the US.

Yes. Your marriage to a US citizen will not have any direct bearing on your use of your current visas.

You asked the same question above and again the answer your marriage will not affect your visa.

You do not require a visa to marry in the US, unlike with the UK. You can go to Las Vegas, apply for your marriage license and get married, and leave the US within the time allotted you at your POE entrance. No problem.

With a K-1, you will need permission from the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Service) to leave and return to the US without abandoning your pending adjustment of status status.

Actually, you are asking questions without telling us what it is you are planning to do after your marriage to a USC. Do you plan on continue living in the UK and just visiting your husband when you come to the US for work and a week or two here or there. Or are you planning on emigrating to the US? What you answer will determine what you need to do and what your ability to continue working with the airline will be.

Frankly, for you and the desire to continue working for the airline, then the K-1 is NOT the visa for you. You would not be allowed to travel once you are married and apply for adjustment of status to permanent resident for 3 to 6 months. A long time not to be working if you wish to remain at your present employer.

Have you done any research on this subject matter? At the start of this forum is a link to a comparison chart for the K-1 vs CR-1. I strongly suggest you read it. Then once you have your head wrapped around things, ask your questions and forum members will be happy to assist you.
Thank so much for your reply.....
I've read a bit about K1 and CR1 and I think the CR1 is probably the most suitable.....
I am planning to go part time and live there, and when I work I will be going back home, as we can request destinations....
My main concern was if I had to be grounded, unable to travel to the US whilst the process was running...
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:30 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Your crew visa won't be cancelled because you got married. Your crew visa will only be cancelled when you either leave your job or apply for and receive an immigrant visa (if that what you are planning to do).
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Your crew visa won't be cancelled because you got married. Your crew visa will only be cancelled when you either leave your job or apply for and receive an immigrant visa (if that what you are planning to do).
Perfect thx.... What a relief....
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:34 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mamma Mia
Thank so much for your reply.....
I've read a bit about K1 and CR1 and I think the CR1 is probably the most suitable.....
I am planning to go part time and live there, and when I work I will be going back home, as we can request destinations....
My main concern was if I had to be grounded, unable to travel to the US whilst the process was running...

Sounds like the CR-1 is the best fit so that you can carry on working. But, to be clear, this is an immigrant visa to allow you move permanently to the USA. You will then be a US resident. You can continue working for the airline and work the U.K. routes, flying back and forth to the U.K., but legally you will be a US resident so you will be liable for taxes here, lose access to the NHS, need to get a driver's license from the state you are resident in, etc.
Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927

Sounds like the CR-1 is the best fit so that you can carry on working. But, to be clear, this is an immigrant visa to allow you move permanently to the USA. You will then be a US resident. You can continue working for the airline and work the U.K. routes, flying back and forth to the U.K., but legally you will be a US resident so you will be liable for taxes here, lose access to the NHS, need to get a driver's license from the state you are resident in, etc.
I understand that.....
Now another question, I read something about intent to marry..... And with the b1/b2 that would be fraudulent....
Does my question make sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.