Wikiposts

place of marriage.

Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: place of marriage.

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, adding it all up I can gather the same, but I think she'd get better answers, and it's certainly better netiquette, to explain her circumstances herself. It's clearly affecting the answers she gets.

The only effect Canadian citz would have is that she may then visit the US for 6 months per year visa free vs the Brits' 90 days VWP.

She may not simply marry and AOS; don't add that into the confusion!
Hi guys

Ok. I am a UK citizen, lived in BC for 3 years 6 months. Not a Canadian Citizen yet. (have applied)
Boyfriend lives in Seattle. I wish to marry him next May.
Fiancee visa seemed smart move, I was not sure if we HAD to marry in the USA, you have kindly answered that now.
What I need to know, is after the USA wedding, how long after can we leave the country for the english wedding?.and also after the USA wedding what will be by status in the USA? can i work???
Thanks for your patience, but it does sound very complicated!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London7
Hi guys

Ok. I am a UK citizen, lived in BC for 3 years 6 months. Not a Canadian Citizen yet. (have applied)
Boyfriend lives in Seattle. I wish to marry him next May.
Fiancee visa seemed smart move, I was not sure if we HAD to marry in the USA, you have kindly answered that now.
What I need to know, is after the USA wedding, how long after can we leave the country for the english wedding?.and also after the USA wedding what will be by status in the USA? can i work???
Thanks for your patience, but it does sound very complicated!!!!
sigh.
What are your priorities?
Getting married
Getting married on a specific date
Working in the US
Traveling internationally
Living together immediately after marriage

All of these things are addressed by different types of visas and it depends on what order you want to do thing in.
Do keep this in mind; you probably can't have your cake and eat it too.

Don't be fooled by living in close proximity to your BF right now. You're a non-citizen resident of a foreign country even tho you can drive over the border in zero time (I live in the area too). A lot of people think it's simpler because 'it's Canada' but that isn't the case.

I answered your how long question previously. You can apply for the travel document until after you are married, and then it takes about 2-3 months to receive. When you have the travel document, you can go to England without losing your US status.

After the wedding, you have no status. You have to make a new application after the wedding. You can't work for abouit 3 months after applying.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London7
Hi guys
What I need to know, is after the USA wedding, how long after can we leave the country for the english wedding?
I will answer this assuming you want to return to the US immediately after your English wedding.

Once you enter on your K1, you have 90 days to marry your b/f. How fast you can leave the country for your English wedding all depends on how quickly you file for AOS. If you marry on Day 5, and file the AOS on Day 10, then you should have your Advance Parole (document req'd to return to the US) in about 60 days or so after that. However, USCIS could have that to your sooner, or it could take longer. But whatever you do, do NOT leave the US w/out that doc if you plan on returning to the US after your English wedding.

.and also after the USA wedding what will be by status in the USA? can i work???
You are in 'Pending AOS' status in the US, which really isn't a status per se, but you are legally allowed to remain in the US until your AOS has been adjudicated. Part of the AOS paperwork is work authorization (EAD). Upon entry into the US on a K1, technically you are legal to work the first 90 days. After that, though, you are not legal to work, unless you have your EAD by then. So if there is a gap between Day 90 and when you get your EAD, you are not legal to work. The EAD usually takes about 60-90 days to get. So depending, again, on how quickly you file for AOS, you may or may not have a gap in your work status.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 16th 2008 at 7:45 am.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Another option would be to forget the K1 altogether, just go ahead and get married in the U.S. then your husband could start the paperwork for CR1 while you return to B.C.

You are then in the happy position of being able to visit each other fairly easily during the process, unlike most others on these forums.

You are free to travel to the UK for a "wedding" with the family no visa needed as you are already legally married.

During all this excitement your visa will be churning through the works making the wait less of a problem.

As a bonus perhaps the Canadian citizenship can be completed in parallel.

Seems like a plan to me

Unless someone can poke holes in it
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
Unless someone can poke holes in it
Fixed wedding date was the only flaw I saw.. i agree that a civil do-it-now would be a good idea but it's hard work mining for information.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You are in 'Pending AOS' status in the US, which really isn't a status per se, but you are legally allowed to remain in the US until your AOS has been adjudicated.
Hi:

In the FWIW department, I disagree that the status is "pending AOS". However, this is an argument based upon the plain language of the Immigration & Nationality Act -- I will note that CIS disagrees strongly with the law and it is in litigation.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

In the FWIW department, I disagree that the status is "pending AOS". However, this is an argument based upon the plain language of the Immigration & Nationality Act -- I will note that CIS disagrees strongly with the law and it is in litigation.

What status does CIS want to give people during this time period then? What would be the correct legal term to use OOC?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
What would be the correct legal term to use OOC?
IIRC, you are here under "color of law".

Ian
Old Sep 16th 2008, 5:01 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

If you do want to marry in the UK you have to apply for a visa to marry there. That includes getting a biometric eye scan and fingerprint scan. You have to prove that you do not plan on staying in the UK and are coming over for marriage only. I looked into it and decided that the K1 was a better option for us.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
If you do want to marry in the UK you have to apply for a visa to marry there. That includes getting a biometric eye scan and fingerprint scan. You have to prove that you do not plan on staying in the UK and are coming over for marriage only. I looked into it and decided that the K1 was a better option for us.
None of that is an issue if she just pops down to Seattle for the weekend, gets hitched and then goes back to BC, and new DH starts the immigration ball rolling.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
IIRC, you are here under "color of law".

Ian
Hi:

Actually, I think the wording of Section 214(d) provides that one becomes removable as an overstay if you do NOT marry within 90 days. In 1986, Congress eliminated the old procedure under 214(d) but also expressly prohibited 245(a) processing -- somehow, some way, former INS "interpeted" this to mean that Congress meant that processing would be under 245(a).