Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

PittsBurgh POE Experience (Long)

Wikiposts

PittsBurgh POE Experience (Long)

Old Jan 14th 2003, 5:49 am
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Pete F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PittsBurgh POE Experience (Long)

Hi Folks.
I arrived Sunday PM Flying into Pittsburg..

After collecting the Visa on Thursday, I Booked tickets in New Malden Highstreet from Travelcare .. One way to Roanoke via Pittsburgh for Sunday
I was planning the Dulles/Roanoke route but the timing between flights was too restrictive with 2 hours max between flights.. At a large international POE, there is no way that 2 hours would have been enough..
So, assuming no problems at take off.. the Pittsburgh/ROA link left me about 2.75 hours.. much better..

Woke up at 6am at my Sisters in New Malden. Dad had driven me down the day before. Mom had also come down too.. Got dressed and we set out for Airwick Gatport.. Ooops.. Gatwick Airport at about 7:15ish at minus 6 degrees C. We had thought about getting to the check in about 3 hours before flight time which was 10:40am. Arrived at about 7:50 and headed to the US Airways ticket desk to pick up the Tickets. Was asked about the One way and showed the passport with the K1 visa.. Got the customary Ahhhhhs.. :-)
Gatwick , Sunday 8am = Blooming quiet..
Anyway.. Got to the Checkings just round the corner.. Got the Spanish inqusisition from the ICS security rep.. Ie did you pack your own cases.. has anyone asked you to take anything etc..
No problems there BUT I had left the locks off the cases. I have read that security scans has the option to break open cases if they want to .. I asked if it was ok to lock them up.. The rep said no problems.. in fact, she recommended it.
Soo Popped the locks on.. Manhandled the baggage up to the scales and cringed.. I had guessed I was VERY close to the max allowance.. (2 * 32KG checked and 18Kg total carry on) .. Yup. both my checked cases were more or less 30.5kg.. Close or what?
Carry on was close as well.. but a large chunk of that was all my paperwork. Including the half ton from the Embassy.. The 601 Waiver had increased the paper load with out case.. Dad's Bathroom scales were pretty accurate after all :-)
Baggage checked.. Cworffee time (Boston Bye the way.. NOT NY)

Dad showed up having travelled up from Grans from is over night stop.. Gran is 100 this year which made Carla's and my Visit to her earlier this year, a little hard to say goodbye.. Chances are, that although she is VERY sprightly and strong willed, that without an AP, I/we wont see her again. After my entry denial on Sept 1, she said she wanted to buy my tickets for the next time.
:'-(

It suprising just how quickly 2 hours goes.. We said our tearful goodbys at the Security desks and how I would be back as soon as I could.. And walked through.. Laptop and carry on, into the Xray and me thru the scanner.. No beeps .. .
They have turned up the "wick" on the scanners and xrays btw.. or so they told me ..
Had a quick browse in the Duty Free's and made my way to the Gate.
It quickly bebame obvious that this flight was no way near full.. Waited about 20 minutes before they started boarding which was a very rapid process. All 24 Envoy Class seats were booked but there were gaps in the seating in coach. Not a problem as I had a window seat and the young chinese girl sat next to me was quite petite and very quiet... So that made two of us. She didnt speak to much english. Anyway, we took off a litte early and it was a unremarkable flight. Very smooth on an older 767 with phones on the seat back. ($3.99 connection and $3.99 per minute once you were into the last 2 hours of the flight). Films were Ok.. SPy kids 2 and Barbershop with loads of ESPN programming in between.. Headphones were the best I have experienced for a while. The sort that clips over the ear.. Much more comfortable than the head band type.
Airline staff started handing out the I94 and waiver and customs forms.. I had picked up an I94 at the check in desk. The Chinese girl was asking questions that rang a couple of bells as warnings so I made a mental note to not be behind her in the queue.
One point that you may wonder.. The Customs form.. Are you a Visitor or a US Citizen on a K1? I asked.. It was a grey area but was told they would see me as a citizen effectivly. Sooo the Limit was $800 rather than the $100 for a visitor.
All I put down was some toys that I was bringing for the 3 kids. Didnt really need to declare them either.. Did wonder about the Marmite and the Peppercorns. But I think the food question is about fresh food.. Oh and they are still paranoid (with reason) about Foot and mouth.

Got to Pittsburgh about 20 mins early .. GREAT! Deplaned VERY quickly and asked when Ushered as to which queue I should be in. As a K1, its the Visitors queue.
Chose what looked to be the shortest queue ( 3 deep) and waited till motioned to cross the yellow Line.
Young lad in front of me had been sent into Secondary inspection. I had over heard.. He had been fingerprinted before .. He had two passports for two countries.
Anyway.. Lady at the primary desk said Hi and how was I.. I said nervous and very happy. Opened the passport, looked at the Visa, and smiled. She asked if I wanted to activate it today.. I frantically nodded and burbled out a yes please. She asked if I had the envelope.. I had placed it on the desk in front of her.. I patted it.. She told me to take it to the secondary inspection room and said congratulations. :-) I thanked her and went through to secondary. Pittsburghs secondary is quite small. VERY much smaller than Detroit was. I was asked to take as seat as the young was at the desk. I could only see two officials. After 5 mins, was called up by the much more jovial of the two guys.. Phew. He asked for my passport, Sawy the Visa with the Waiver typed in and asked me what the problem had been. I told him basically Our stupidity and misundestanding of the Immigration laws. He smiled. He then asked for the Mysterious Brown Envelope and I thumped it onto the counter. He said the weight of it was probably due to the Waiver.. The actual weight was approaching 5Kg. He opened it , looked through,, Stamped my I94, Passport, Didnt stamp the Visa, and stamped the Paperwork and Did the "you have 90 days to do the deed etc.. " Put April 11th on the I94 and the Visa Class..
I did ask about the Temp EAD as I have a job offer.. Its all stopped.. It may have stopped at JFK to now.. ALso asked about putting my A number in the passport but I had gotten confused with the I551 which as a K1er, wasnt issued..
So.. they took the whole envelope off me..Asked where I was heading.. Virginia, and had we set a date.. Yes.. Feb 9th.. In Tennessee..
"Have a nice day and welcome to the USA" FYI DO NOT try and use your phone while in a federal area.. Its a definate no-no

That was it.. Total of 10 minutes..
Spend the next 30 waiting for the baggage belts to be fixed..Called Carla and told her the good news. Collected bags, headed for Customs.. Handed form to the guard.. waived through.. and was directed into the re
checking queue. AS I had a connecting flight, the main luggage was sniffed for drugs and passed on.. The hand luggage was re-xrayed.. I had to remove my belt too.. The detectors were set up high.. Internal security seems to be much higher than international.. Hmm.. I had been amazed the main luggage wasnt opened because of the cables and CDs etc from the laptop, plus my trusty torque wrench, and a couple of other tools for the bike, but nothing.
That was it.. Customs and baggage was about 30 mins..
I had nearly 1.5 hrs to kill..
No problem.. The airport was very quiet.. Popped into WH Smiths and got a Dr Peppers and some Sour Jelly Belly beans.. I love sours.. and The USA as sour Skittles like no where else on earth.. WONDERFULL.
Sat down at my gate and found things to do.. Btw.. O2 have a contract with AT&T in Pittsburgh.. I already had Travelers roaming turned on and for £3.99 extra a month, I can make UK priced calls most anywhere in the world..
I sent a few texts to home and read a paper or two..
Was called to the next flight.. PIT to ROA.. 1 hour in total..
Was sat right at the back, by the engines.. A 57 Seater Jet that was full bar one seat. (Next to me :-)) A very picturesque flight.. Plenty of Ice and snow abouts.. Wonderfull Sunset..
Landed at ROA and taxied.. I could See Carla and Kids in the windows and waved but they couldnt see me.. Deplaned.. Collected the Carry on.. and went inside to a very happy, Carla, Kids and Future mother in law..
The ONLy misshap was the wheels on my really cheap large suitecase got broken.. So what .. I am home at last.

Words of Advice?..
Travel on a Sunday and if possible dont choose a Major POE if you can help it. Spend a little time getting prices off the net.. Go armed with them to the high street shops and get them to either better it or match it expecially if you have a connecting flight. There are flights they have listed that dont show on the web sites..
And the most important one.. RELAX You'll be fine.

Love and hugs to all

Pete & Carla.
Old Jan 14th 2003, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on your safe arrival.........now enjoy!!
Old Jan 14th 2003, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

keatslamia is an unknown quantity at this point

A heartfelt welcome....so glad you're 'home'!!!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2003, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

CONGRATULATIONS Pete,Now enjoy the rest of your lives together.

Sal
Old Jan 14th 2003, 6:59 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Pete, Carla and kids!

Thanks so much for the whole story. And have a great time!

All the best,

Debbie
Old Jan 15th 2003, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future
Default Re: PittsBurgh POE Experience (Long)

Congratulations
I'm glad someone wrote a story about a POE in Pittsburgh- my fiance will be going there in March

did you fly on flight 741? they used to have a cool plane with movie screens on the seat backs, but last time i flew it was a crappy 80's one with phones on the back instead! hope thats not their new plane hehe
Old Jan 15th 2003, 12:45 am
ScarlettHill

WELCOME!!!! to the US of A.

Heeeeeee.

So glad to hear all went well.

hugs to you both
-=-
Scarlett