Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

picky details on DS 156

Wikiposts

picky details on DS 156

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 6:20 am
Shkennotstirred

Default picky details on DS 156

i'm sorry to bother everyone with so many questions at once but i haven't seen this
info come up in the newsgroup recently or on the K1FAQ. these are all questions from
DS 156 that my fiance is filing at the US embassy in Argentina. here goes...

1. the DS 156 is a non immigrant form, question 19 asks "what is the purpose of your
trip?" is it okay to put "marriage"? and it's not exactly a "trip", i mean, he's
not going back!

2. question 21 "when do you intend to arrive in the US?" he isn't even going to buy
a ticket until he has the visa in hand!

3. question 22 "how long do you intend to stay in the US?" same problem-it's a non
immigrant form but he is intending to immigrate, what should he put?, "forever"?,
"indefinetly"?, "immigrating"?

4. question 25 and 26 "do you intend to work/study in the US?" he plans to do both
but will find a job/school once he is here and we are married so he can not list
the "name and address of employer/school". does he just answer no to these
questions?

and finally
5. he is in a different sort of situation having been to the US last summer when
Argentina was still part of the visa waiver program. now Argentines need a visa to
travel to the US. how does he answer questions asking if he has "ever been issued
a US visa", and "what type of visa"?

thanks so much to everyone for their time in answering these questions, jane

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 7:20 am

Default Re: picky details on DS 156

"Shkennotstirred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >..
    > 1. the DS 156 is a non immigrant form, question 19 asks "what is the purpose of
    > your trip?" is it okay to put "marriage"? and it's not exactly a "trip", i
    > mean, he's not going back!

Yes.

> 2. question 21 "when do you intend to arrive in the US?" he isn't even going to
    > buy a ticket until he has the visa in hand!

Something like "Within 1 month of being granted visa" or similar (they won't hold
you to it).

> 3. question 22 "how long do you intend to stay in the US?" same problem-it's a non
    > immigrant form but he is intending to immigrate, what should he put?,
    > "forever"?, "indefinetly"?, "immigrating"?

"Indefinitely" is fine.

> 4. question 25 and 26 "do you intend to work/study in the US?" he plans to do both
    > but will find a job/school once he is here and we are married
so
    > he can not list the "name and address of employer/school". does he just answer no
    > to these questions?

Something like 'Yes when settled' would seem to address what you describe. It works
fine too (I did it).

> and finally
    > 5. he is in a different sort of situation having been to the US last summer when
    > Argentina was still part of the visa waiver program. now Argentines need a visa
    > to travel to the US. how does he answer questions asking if he has "ever been
    > issued a US visa", and "what type of visa"?

Well - has he ever had a visa to enter the US?? Hint: If he has only travelled to the
US on the Visa Waiver then the answer would be no. But only he knows if he ever
applied for or was granted a visa before.

If he has never had a tourist visa or other (eg work-related) then the answer is No.

Good luck.

> thanks so much to everyone for their time in answering these questions, jane

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 7:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: picky details on DS 156

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shkennotstirred
i'm sorry to bother everyone with so many questions at once but i haven't seen this
info come up in the newsgroup recently or on the K1FAQ. these are all questions from
DS 156 that my fiance is filing at the US embassy in Argentina. here goes...

1. the DS 156 is a non immigrant form, question 19 asks "what is the purpose of your
trip?" is it okay to put "marriage"? and it's not exactly a "trip", i mean, he's
not going back!

Marriage is the purpose of his trip, so that is your answer

2. question 21 "when do you intend to arrive in the US?" he isn't even going to buy
a ticket until he has the visa in hand!

As soon as visa issued. Or if you have a date for your wedding set aside say "Before 12/1/02"

3. question 22 "how long do you intend to stay in the US?" same problem-it's a non
immigrant form but he is intending to immigrate, what should he put?, "forever"?,
"indefinetly"?, "immigrating"?

Forever sounds good to me

4. question 25 and 26 "do you intend to work/study in the US?" he plans to do both
but will find a job/school once he is here and we are married so he can not list
the "name and address of employer/school". does he just answer no to these
questions?

answer no and you would have him lying. He intends to work and/or study so the answer is yes. Employer/school: unknown

and finally
5. he is in a different sort of situation having been to the US last summer when
Argentina was still part of the visa waiver program. now Argentines need a visa to
travel to the US. how does he answer questions asking if he has "ever been issued
a US visa", and "what type of visa"?

No unless he has applied for a visa from the US Consulate for entry into the US before.

thanks so much to everyone for their time in answering these questions, jane
[/QUOTE

Last edited by Rete; Jul 22nd 2002 at 7:41 am.