Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Petition approved - What Next?

Petition approved - What Next?

Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petition approved - What Next?

Originally Posted by meauxna
It makes me grumpy because I think it's dangerous to just rely on what people online tell you. It's your family's immigration, and it's serious enough to investigate yourselves IMO.
Some people just want others to tell them what to do and how to do it. That way, if something goes wrong, it's not their fault... right? Why do your own research when you can ask total strangers who have no interest whatsoever in the outcome? I blame the education system for consistently failing to teach proper research skills!

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2009, 9:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Some people just want others to tell them what to do and how to do it. That way, if something goes wrong, it's not their fault... right? Why do your own research when you can ask total strangers who have no interest whatsoever in the outcome? I blame the education system for consistently failing to teach proper research skills!

Ian
Well of course it is easier to ask someone else for the answer directly, and I've been guilty of that in the past myself, but more for things that I'm urgently impatient about, like uncrashing my computer or similar.

I realize that not everyone understand how serious the immigration part of their life is going to be and I don't think it's a wholesale personality defect, but when the answer has been put basically *right there* already.. well, I do appreciate if someone does a little bit of reading.
For me, I couldn't get enough info. Then again, back then, there wasn't much available for what I was doing so I didn't have much of a choice.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

evartkessian is an unknown quantity at this point

Question to Katyonice and Curlz: I was just wondering when you received your letter regarding the approved I-130? I received an email on Monday (in response to an email I sent) saying that my husband's I130 had been approved on April 3. We have yet to receive anything in the mail. We have all the documents ready for the next phase, but I'd just like to get a sense of what we are waiting for (in terms of the amont of time) and whether we receive the letter we can just send the materials (or do we have to wait until they send some forms through; do they do that?). Thanks. It's helpful to talk to people who are in the same situation as a way to assess the timing of this all.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evartkessian
It's helpful to talk to people who are in the same situation as a way to assess the timing of this all.
To what end? Even if someone's situation was exactly like yours (and I'm willing to bet that no two are ever alike), there could be vast differences in the process time lines. DCF usually takes 4-6 months from start to finish, but it could take more or less time.

Ian
Old Apr 12th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Brodders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evartkessian
I was just wondering when you received your letter regarding the approved I-130? I received an email on Monday (in response to an email I sent) saying that my husband's I130 had been approved on April 3. We have yet to receive anything in the mail.
We received letters to say that the I130 had been approved and forwarded to the USC in London in the post on 19 March. (They emailed on 3 March to acknowledge receipt of the petitions).

On 23 March we received letters from the Immigrant Visa Branch informing us that they received the petition and instructing us to complete the forms and giving the website where to obtain an explanation of the process and how to arrange the medicals, etc. We phoned for the medical appointments and managed to get a slot almost immediately (went for those on 7 April).

We posted our DS230 and DS2001 on 28 March so now waiting...

Hope this helps.