British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Petition for Alien Relative, I-130, confusion! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/petition-alien-relative-i-130-confusion-931948/)

purplebug Mar 28th 2020 1:21 pm

Petition for Alien Relative, I-130, confusion!

My wife is filling out the I-130 form to start my immigration proceedings. I am a UK citizen, she is from the US, and we've lived in Japan since 2012. We have gotten stuck in the online form a few times, and need some guidance please!\

Question 1. Dates of residences.
When filling out residences for the past five years, should the end date of one and the start date of the next be the same day or consecutive days? Eg, The contract for residence 1 ended on the 31st, we moved out and into the new residence on the same day. Should I put down that residence 1 ended on the 31st or the 30th?

Question 2. Current mailing address of petitioner, ie my wife.
Should she list her permanent address in the US, or the current address in Japan where we live now?

Question 3. "How did you obtain US Citizenship?".
There are 3 options: Birth in the US, Naturalization, or Parents. She was born in the US, and both of her parents are citizens. Should she choose option 1 or 3?

Question 4. "When did your last marriage end?"
This is our first and only marriage. There is no option to not fill this out or put N/A. What do we put???

Question 5. Question about where we have lived together, it asks the start and end dates. We currently live at that address, but we have to put an end date. Should we
just enter today's date?

Question 6. "Was the beneficiary ever in the US?"
I have visited under the ESTA visa waiver program, never for longer than two weeks. When I answer Yes, the next page asks me for my class of admission, the code on my permanent residency card. I don't have this. What should I do?
It also asks for my I-94 Arrival Departure Record number. I don't know what that is either.
Date of arrival and when the authorized stay ends, I also don't know how to answer.

Question 7. Beneficiary's Family.
It asks me to provide info about my family, eg spouse and children. Should I add my spouse, who is the petitioner? Or leave it blank?

There may be more questions I have for that section, but it won't let me move on from there.
Thank you so much! We're nervous about getting anything wrong because my FIL has been very sick and we want things to go smoothly as possible so I can join her in the US when we leave Japan next year, hopefully.

tht Mar 28th 2020 3:21 pm

Re: Petition for Alien Relative, I-130, confusion!

Originally Posted by purplebug (Post 12828551)
There may be more questions I have for that section, but it won't let me move on from there.
Thank you so much! We're nervous about getting anything wrong because my FIL has been very sick and we want things to go smoothly as possible so I can join her in the US when we leave Japan next year, hopefully.

Print the paper version from PDF and fill it out, copy to the online form once you are ready:
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...form/i-130.pdf
I found the guidance docs useful when I was filling out USCIS forms:
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...i-130instr.pdf

For my dates if residence on my N400, I did the dates as
previous address To: 01/31/20xx and then Present address From: 02/01/20xx we moved on 01/31. I left the To: Blank on present because that is not known/ended.

you can get your travel history here:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home%23section

zzrmark Mar 28th 2020 7:34 pm

Mailing address is the address to which the petitioner wants to receive mail - only put the US address if that's where she will be/wants mail to go.

Birth in US is her box.

'Was beneficiary ever in US' question 45 - read the next line, the remaining questions are for those who are still there. That one caught me out a few weeks ago when I filled out an I-130 for my daughter.

Fill in the spouse details (again), better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

EDIT: to be clear you do not need to answer any of questions 46a through 46d, question 48 is an N/A for VWP users.

Ali_Z May 4th 2020 8:59 am

Originally Posted by purplebug (Post 12828551)
My wife is filling out the I-130 form to start my immigration proceedings. I am a UK citizen, she is from the US, and we've lived in Japan since 2012. We have gotten stuck in the online form a few times, and need some guidance please!\

Question 1. Dates of residences.
When filling out residences for the past five years, should the end date of one and the start date of the next be the same day or consecutive days? Eg, The contract for residence 1 ended on the 31st, we moved out and into the new residence on the same day. Should I put down that residence 1 ended on the 31st or the 30th?

Question 2. Current mailing address of petitioner, ie my wife.
Should she list her permanent address in the US, or the current address in Japan where we live now?

Question 3. "How did you obtain US Citizenship?".
There are 3 options: Birth in the US, Naturalization, or Parents. She was born in the US, and both of her parents are citizens. Should she choose option 1 or 3?

Question 4. "When did your last marriage end?"
This is our first and only marriage. There is no option to not fill this out or put N/A. What do we put???

Question 5. Question about where we have lived together, it asks the start and end dates. We currently live at that address, but we have to put an end date. Should we
just enter today's date?

Question 6. "Was the beneficiary ever in the US?"
I have visited under the ESTA visa waiver program, never for longer than two weeks. When I answer Yes, the next page asks me for my class of admission, the code on my permanent residency card. I don't have this. What should I do?
It also asks for my I-94 Arrival Departure Record number. I don't know what that is either.
Date of arrival and when the authorized stay ends, I also don't know how to answer.

Question 7. Beneficiary's Family.
It asks me to provide info about my family, eg spouse and children. Should I add my spouse, who is the petitioner? Or leave it blank?

Hi,

I am in the same process as you having issues online filing in the dates and asking for end dates which aren’t applicable... just wondered if you found a way around it? I’m also having issues with entering phone numbers that are t US? Any help would be much appreciated.

purplebug May 5th 2020 2:27 am

We haven't, sorry. Things are sort of on hold right now, as we can't apply during the immigration freeze <(`^´)>

Ali_Z May 5th 2020 9:50 am

Originally Posted by purplebug (Post 12848470)
We haven't, sorry. Things are sort of on hold right now, as we can't apply during the immigration freeze <(`^´)>

thabks for replying! No worries, It’s a nightmare isn’t it! Hope things get back to normality soon and you get your application sorted.

zzrmark May 12th 2020 2:38 am

Originally Posted by purplebug (Post 12848470)

It may be on hold but the US mail system still works, why would you not send in your form so that it is there waiting when the staff go back to the office?