In person vs mail

Old Feb 26th 2003, 4:30 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In person vs mail

Hi, peeps!!!

I'm jumping ahead of myself a bit (as usual), but does anyone know of the pros and cons of filing AOS papers in person? After my experience of almost 12 hours al fresco at Miami INS, I really don't relish the idea of doing it again, but I will if I'm going to benefit from it. Will it make any difference as to timeframes, etc? (Apart from postage time, of course.) Thanks in advance.
Kate. xxxxxxxxx
Old Feb 26th 2003, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about
Default advantages

Miami is a different story, evidently. These are the advantages I can think of. 1. If you file in person, the person who takes the paperwork can check it for you 2. You get the filing receipt then and there, rather than having to wait for it to come in the mail. This is your only documentation of status while you are waiting for the interview and is more important than it appears. 3. You can discuss the AP application. If they are going to give you any grief about reasons for travelling, you have the opportunity to discuss in person. 4. You have another war story to share with the grandkids.
Maybe there are days that are slower than others, but someone who deals with that office would have to chime in.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In person vs mail

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Hi, peeps!!!

I'm jumping ahead of myself a bit (as usual), but does anyone know of the pros and cons of filing AOS papers in person? After my experience of almost 12 hours al fresco at Miami INS, I really don't relish the idea of doing it again, but I will if I'm going to benefit from it. Will it make any difference as to timeframes, etc? (Apart from postage time, of course.) Thanks in advance.
Kate. xxxxxxxxx
I would send it in the mail, only for the reason that it would be cheaper than corrective surgery for butt injuries caused by sitting on concrete for such long periods.

Rob
Old Feb 26th 2003, 5:05 pm

Originally posted by robclews
I would send it in the mail, only for the reason that it would be cheaper than corrective surgery for butt injuries caused by sitting on concrete for such long periods.

Rob
LOL, Rob!!!! Not to mention piles, and also treatment for psychopathic tendencies brought on by stress and lack of sleep!!!!!!
Kate. xxxxxxxx
Old Feb 26th 2003, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

JuMu is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends.

If you feel confident about having it all together and all right, send it in as certified mail.
Pro for that is no waiting time and you will get a receipt.
If there is any questions where you are not 100% sure how to answer them, go and file in person.
I found the guys at my local INS very helpful when we were there the first time. I told the officer I had some questions and he answered all of them and looked at what we already had.
The second time I made the mistake to tell the officer we were just there to 'drop' the application. We didnt get anyone to look it over at that time. The guy just took it and disappeared with it... no receipt, nothing.
It was a little scary to me.. you know, I am German, we get receipts for every little poo we make

It worked out good though. Just my pictures got lost.
I resent them with FedEx, and.. they got lost again, but at least I had a proof for submitting them.

Well.. what I'm trying to say is, I don't think it makes a big difference, all depends on your luck (and surely the accurancy you use to prepare the stuff).

Good luck and welcome to America
JuMu
Old Feb 26th 2003, 5:29 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter1
LOL, Rob!!!! Not to mention piles, and also treatment for psychopathic tendencies brought on by stress and lack of sleep!!!!!!
Kate. xxxxxxxx
Kate,

An alternative therapeutic action would be to paste up yours and Corey's pic on the NG's brand new online photo album, set up by Jenney:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=134080

Debbie
Old Feb 26th 2003, 5:34 pm
Lindsey

When you say "If they are going to give you any grief about reasons for
travelling", does this mean that they can turn your AP application down just
because the don't think your reason for going abroad is good enough? Is
wanting to go on a honeymoon and to visit my family at home once I've got
married a good enough reason??

"Pallyn" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Miami is a different story, evidently. These are the advantages I can
    > think of. 1. If you file in person, the person who takes the paperwork
    > can check it for you 2. You get the filing receipt then and there,
    > rather than having to wait for it to come in the mail. This is your
    > only documentation of status while you are waiting for the interview and
    > is more important than it appears. 3. You can discuss the AP
    > application. If they are going to give you any grief about reasons for
    > travelling, you have the opportunity to discuss in person. 4. You have
    > another war story to share with the grandkids.
    > Maybe there are days that are slower than others, but someone who deals
    > with that office would have to chime in.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 26th 2003, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

FlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to all

I'm surprised no one has mentioned whether you even CAN show up in person or not. The Charlotte, NC office along with many others clearly state that they do not accept walk-ins. The list of things they allow you to file in person for (very small) is listed on the INS website and adjustment of status forms are not on the list.

-fr
Old Feb 26th 2003, 7:13 pm

Hey, Debbie!!!
I did check out all the pics yesterday, and I'd love to add ours. We only have 2 pics of us together, though. One has us looking very depressed, as it was the last day of my visit the last time we met (trying desperately to say "cheese" for the cam, but having none of it!!!), and the other has Corey kissing my head (aww!!), and you can't get a good look at his face!!! Our wedding will be soon, though, so I'll definately get a pic on there. Brilliant idea, Jenney, I've often wondered what people look like on here. And bravo for taking the time to do something everyone can get involved in!

JuMu,
Good luck with those poos!!! Hehehe!!!

Thanks for the response everyone!!! I think I'll make sure I CAN file in person, and then wait it out again. It'll be worth it for my own sanity to know that we did everything correctly.
Kate. xxxxxxxx