British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Permanent resident to citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/permanent-resident-citizenship-924912/)

Bearcub May 12th 2019 10:59 pm

Permanent resident to citizenship

My husband was given a conditional permanent resident card in Feb 2016. He’s just been granted full permanent residence. We are confused as to when he can apply for citizenship from this point on? Can we count 3 years from time of conditional residence (Feb 2016) to apply for citizenship now, given he’s married to an American citizen?

Thank you!

RICH May 12th 2019 11:12 pm

Re: Permanent resident to citizenship

Yes. But you might as well wait a few years to get value for money out of the green card. It is another $800 odd to apply for citz :)

Rete May 12th 2019 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bearcub (Post 12682920)
My husband was given a conditional permanent resident card in Feb 2016. He’s just been granted full permanent residence. We are confused as to when he can apply for citizenship from this point on? Can we count 3 years from time of conditional residence (Feb 2016) to apply for citizenship now, given he’s married to an American citizen?

Thank you!

If he is still married to you, the USC, he was eligible to apply for US naturalization 90 days before the third anniversary of obtaining the conditional green card. So that would have been sometime in December, 2018.

It is all spelt out in the N-400's Guide to Naturalization.

As for the saving money aspect, the benefits of being a USC vs a simple PR might be enough to sway the value into the naturalization column.

tom169 May 13th 2019 12:11 am

May want to get in to be eligible to vote in the upcoming general election.

petitefrancaise May 13th 2019 1:40 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12682940)
May want to get in to be eligible to vote in the upcoming general election.

we have a lawyer helping DS with his application and she reckons that they get the citizenships done more quickly in the run up to elections ( in TX at least). Here's hoping....

tom169 May 13th 2019 2:47 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12682951)
we have a lawyer helping DS with his application and she reckons that they get the citizenships done more quickly in the run up to elections ( in TX at least). Here's hoping....

I have definitely heard of that on here in the past.

civilservant May 13th 2019 3:32 pm

I have also heard of that in the past, however I am not so sure that will be the case this time what with the current administration and the general political demographic of naturalized immigrants.

Sydneycl Jun 7th 2019 6:32 pm

The application process varies state to state

Rete Jun 7th 2019 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sydneycl (Post 12694924)
The application process varies state to state

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????

The application and the process of the N400 is the same everywhere in the US.

Is there a reason why you resurrected and old thread to comment on?

RICH Jun 8th 2019 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12695049)
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????

The application and the process of the N400 is the same everywhere in the US.

Is there a reason why you resurrected and old thread to comment on?

I think he meant the timeline varies. But it is not state related, I agree. And it's not that old a thread

edit on reading his previous posts probably a bot.