Peace of mind about potential VWP refusal

Wikiposts

Peace of mind about potential VWP refusal

Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:27 pm
Fob
Just Joined

Fob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Peace of mind about potential VWP refusal

I'll soon be travelling in quite a similar situation and have had the same worries, Matthew. It's not fun, is it? I know I'm not playing the system in any way, I'm not intending to get married there, I'm returning home after the trip ... but I still feel really self-conscious about what to say, because of the girlfriend issue.

It does sound like, even if you mention a girlfriend or boyfriend, it's still pretty unlikely to be sent home, though. I get the sense the horror stories I've read about visiting girlfriends and fiancees are pretty misleading because they often don't give a lot of detail, i.e. amount of visits or time they were spending in the US, or lack of proof of ties. They could be the real issues.

It sounds like you'll be fine, anyway - good luck!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
They're not the most fun-loving people I've come accross but they're doing a job and honestly if I was one of them I wouldn't put up with people p*ssing around either.
I'm a frequent traveller and I've never come across one who even smiles. They come across as totally devoid of humour and remain stoney-faced at all times. They aqre probably instructed not to share jokes with the people they process, or even respond to witticisms.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
I'm a frequent traveller and I've never come across one who even smiles. They come across as totally devoid of humour and remain stoney-faced at all times. They aqre probably instructed not to share jokes with the people they process, or even respond to witticisms.
They CBP Officer that re-admitted me back to the US after visiting Niagara Falls for the day when I was in Buffalo was quite nice...he told me to have a good trip etc after asking me a few questions. I was asked what I did for work, amongst questions about how my SO and I knew each other and how we met...much more than when entering at JFK.

Both times I entered Canada my other half and I were asked how we knew each other and how we met...is it really necessary to tell them we met online originally? I mean...that's what we told them because it's the truth, but I just feel like we they look down their noses a little bit at us for it.

When he visits me in the UK he flies out of Toronto and when he was entering the US after driving back from the airport after his return flight...he was asked why he'd been to Canada etc...he explained he'd been visiting his girlfriend in the UK, the CBP said to him, wouldn't it be cheaper to have a girlfriend that lives locally? I think SO said something along the lines of you can't choose love...lol. Don't we know it. I dread to think how much money we've spent so far on Trans-Atlantic flights etc.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:41 pm
Fob
Just Joined

I think what makes me jittery about all this is the sheer amount of people online saying things like "never tell them you're there to visit a boyfriend/girlfriend - they'll think you're trying to immigrate and deny you entry".

From reading this site that really doesn't seem to be the case though - most people seem to get in fine, if they're making a reasonable trip and if they have proof of ties to their home.

In one way the internet is great as it gives you more info on these things, but it can also lead to a heck of a lot more worry and misinformation.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fob
From reading this site that really doesn't seem to be the case though - most people seem to get in fine, if they're making a reasonable trip and if they have proof of ties to their home.
It helps to keep things in perspective... for every horror story you hear about someone being turned away, there are many tens of thousands who are admitted with no problems whatsoever.

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fob
I think what makes me jittery about all this is the sheer amount of people online saying things like "never tell them you're there to visit a boyfriend/girlfriend - they'll think you're trying to immigrate and deny you entry".

In one way the internet is great as it gives you more info on these things, but it can also lead to a heck of a lot more worry and misinformation.
From what I've seen and due to my nervousness I've done a LOT of research it really seems that when people say they have been denied entry there is almost always a lot more to their story. They post and make out like they got denied for no reason when in actuality there will have been a reason...and it mainly seems to be:

A) People that lie and get caught out.
B) People that claim to be 'visiting' but are actually trying to live in the US without actually saying so.
C) People trying to visit for silly amounts of time. Like going for 90 days at a time more than once in a year.

If you're smart about things and be as prepared as possible there really isn't much more you can do.

I think the reason I am so wary is because I had a bad experience with my SO....it was when he came to visit me for the first time in the UK. This was the first time we had ever met in person. We were extremely new to interational dating and to Immigration.

He was detained for like 45 minutes as I didn't give him the hotel address that we were staying at so he didn't have anything to fill in on the landing card. He also didn't have much money and I was interviewed over the telephone, they went through his bags and eventually he was given entry to the country...they did however place some sort of 'Coded Landing' stamp into his passport that means every time he enters the UK on future visits they will know he was taken for further questioning. I think it was so they could record that he said he was only staying for 2 weeks so that when he came back if that wasn't the case his credibility would have been shot. He went home when he said he was going to and had no problems when he came back at all...he has built up a positive immigration history with the UK and I guess it's the same with the US.

As long as the visits are fairly short and aren't too frequent then you will be fine.

Just be honest, I believe my candor and the way I confidently answer questions gives me credibility...there's nothing worse than being cagey and nervous as they will think you have something to hide.

Try not to worry (she says)

Relax and enjoy your time over there. Let us know how it goes.

Sorry for the long post.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:44 am
Fob
Just Joined

Just a quick question - this might sound like a funny one. If they ask for "proof of ties" documents, they don't keep them, do they?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fob
If they ask for "proof of ties" documents, they don't keep them, do they?
No. If they do, they'll make photocopies.

Ian
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:42 pm
Fob
Just Joined

Thanks, Ian!

For proof of ties, is this a good list? Permanent employment contract;most recent payslip;footed email from manager agreeing to holiday request (a few months old now);recently-signed UK tenancy agreement;UK bank statements;return ticket;bus ticket back home from Heathrow, for when I get back.

Should this do the job? Or is it worth getting a letter from employer too?

Last edited by Fob; Dec 9th 2009 at 8:45 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fob
Should this do the job?
This list looks good to me. Use it only if needed - don't volunteer it unless asked. As much as anything else, your "manner" when you speak to the officer should exude confidence! Best of luck to you.

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

yellowfruit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your advice, just back from a wonderful week with my fiancee!

I was asked what particular pleasure I was entering the country for and I stated I was visiting my fiancee. There were no problems at all and I was even advised that if I called the USCIS they could give me information on how to proceed with moving over and getting married etc.

We were already up to date on the process and have since submitted our I-129F application! The fun starts here folks

Thanks all!

Matthew
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowfruit
Thanks all for your advice, just back from a wonderful week with my fiancee!

I was asked what particular pleasure I was entering the country for and I stated I was visiting my fiancee. There were no problems at all and I was even advised that if I called the USCIS they could give me information on how to proceed with moving over and getting married etc.

We were already up to date on the process and have since submitted our I-129F application! The fun starts here folks

Thanks all!

Matthew
glad it went well
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by yellowfruit
Best of luck to you both!

Ian
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
I've taken a letter signed by my employers too stating when I'm due back to work from leave etc. Never had to show it though. Just my tuppence h'penny worth!
Me and my OH have just submitted our I-129F and,like OP I have managed to work myself up about my next trip in march. Could I ask what wording you have on your letter?

Thanks
Lx