Wikiposts

Patrick's Unhappiness

Old Jan 26th 2003, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Patrick's Unhappiness

Hi:

I decised to start a new string. There was use of the word "circumvention" somewhere in the two prior strings.

The term "circumvention" is a trigger word for me because the INS often uses that term against my clients and what I try and do for them.

Rather than "circumvention" -- I think we may want to take a look at an area of law that affects a lot more people -- taxation. [Death & taxes affect more people than international marriage IMHO].

On this NG, everybody wants to be with their beloved sooner rather than later. Similarly, everbody wants to pay the minimum amount towards taxes [if they pay anything at all].

In the tax arena there has been developed a dichotomy between "evasion" and "avoidance". "Avoidance" is legal, "evasion" is not.

So, in the effort to "circumvent" the situation, the trick is to "avoid" and not "evade" the law.

The diffrence is often subtle, but quite real.
Old Jan 26th 2003, 2:49 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Patrick's Unhappiness

Originally posted by Folinskyinla

So, in the effort to "circumvent" the situation, the trick is to "avoid" and not "evade" the law.

Ah! Our other learned friend..... it's interesting that you talk of taxes in this connection. Because you have put into words an idea that crossed my mind as well... but could not come up with necessary legal terms ..... Thank you.
Old Jan 26th 2003, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

tparrent is an unknown quantity at this point

Well put.

While I agree with Udall's comments regarding the extreme consequences of doing things wrong and I HAVE NEVER ADVOCATED BREAKING THE LAW, I also think some people can get off their high horses regarding immigration realities.

After all, are we all pure and perfect when it comes to ALL laws? When's the last time you exceeded the speed limit? Oh, that's different you say? Precisely my point - there are no absolutes. IMHO, we should each carefully and rigorously make those choices and take those risks we are comfortable with.

Personally, I am comfortable with following the letter of the law when it comes to immigration. The risk, no matter how small, of losing my dear fiancee is not worth ANY shortcut - legal or otherwise.

I also pay all my taxes (and far more than most people in similar situations and perhaps more than legally required). I don't speed either. At the same time, I do not pass judgement on the moral choices of others except when their choices have a direct and deleterious effect on the lives of others. Do illegal aliens (or LEGAL loopholers) have a DIRECT effect on the speed with which my K1 is processed? Perhaps but it is not clear enough for me to judge them harshly. I understand their motives and, for the most part, I believe those motives are benign.
Old Jan 26th 2003, 2:31 pm
Vampier

[snip]

Xcuse me, what does this have to do with Patrick?

GreeTz

Patrick

(you have a real good poitn there)

Old Jan 26th 2003, 3:30 pm
Steggy

Vampier wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Xcuse me, what does this have to do with Patrick?
    >
    > GreeTz
    >
    > Patrick
    >
    > (you have a real good poitn there)

We have two Patricks here now Vampier

The original posting had everything to do with the other
Patricks posting.
--
steg

Old Jan 29th 2003, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I decised to start a new string. There was use of the word "circumvention" somewhere in the two prior strings.

The term "circumvention" is a trigger word for me because the INS often uses that term against my clients and what I try and do for them.

Rather than "circumvention" -- I think we may want to take a look at an area of law that affects a lot more people -- taxation. [Death & taxes affect more people than international marriage IMHO].

On this NG, everybody wants to be with their beloved sooner rather than later. Similarly, everbody wants to pay the minimum amount towards taxes [if they pay anything at all].

In the tax arena there has been developed a dichotomy between "evasion" and "avoidance". "Avoidance" is legal, "evasion" is not.

I find this a perfect example ...especially if one is to go back to late May 2002 postings and find one of the earliest posts from Patrick to this Newsgroup. (vbeg) ;o)