Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Passport in maiden name...

Passport in maiden name...

Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport in maiden name...

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
... to have a passport in a maiden name, yet hold other identity documents in your married name seems completely perverse to me.
I guess you're perverted then! That seems to be the only explanation for holding such a narrow-minded view in the 21st Century.

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Because your legal name is not your maiden name anymore.
It is customary and common for married women in both the US and the UK to change their surname to match their husband's, but as I understand it, it is entirely a customary/ common law matter, and obviously there is no compulsion to make the change, so a woman's maiden name is every bit as much, and I believe more so, her "legal name".
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Why is your passport in your maiden name if you don't mind me asking? We sent my wife's one off just within the year of her last passport issue so there was no replacement fee involved.
because I have 5 years left on it still and there would be a fee to change it now when it isn't necessary - it has been no problem and I travel back to UK frequently - I have been asked for my marriage cert but that's fine as I always carry it with me when I travel
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:41 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I guess you're perverted then! That seems to be the only explanation for holding such a narrow-minded view in the 21st Century.

Ian
It's a total hassle and the OP has just confirmed the reason - it would cost money to change the passport.

You cannot argue that keeping a passport in your maiden name yet updating all other ID to your married name is a total pain in the arse (remember to bring a marriage cert with you all the time for example!).
Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Some countries don't even allow one to change the name in the passport to anything else than their maiden name, for example my country (The Netherlands). Even the 'name after marriage' on the Dutch marriage certificate remains your maiden name. Ever since I got my permanent resident card I've had it in my assumed married name (as well as US SSN card and driver's license), and my Dutch passport in my maiden name. Never had a problem, just made sure to book plane tickets to match the passport. Never carried marriage certificate anywhere.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Bex2203 is just really niceBex2203 is just really niceBex2203 is just really niceBex2203 is just really niceBex2203 is just really niceBex2203 is just really niceBex2203 is just really niceBex2203 is just really nice

Thank you everybody!! The argument is ridiculous (some people's personal and ignorant views) but the helpful advice nestled in there is great so thanks.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:24 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bex2203
Thank you everybody!! The argument is ridiculous (some people's personal and ignorant views) but the helpful advice nestled in there is great so thanks.
Ignorant views? You think me believing that all your ID documents should carry the same name? That's ignorance on your part if you can't understand my rationale on that.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorant views? You think me believing that all your ID documents should carry the same name? That's ignorance on your part if you can't understand my rationale on that.
Please just accept the fact that some people are OK with having IDs with different names, and stop trying to push your opinion.

Thread Closed.

Thank you,
Rene