British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Passport in maiden name... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/passport-maiden-name-823322/)

Bex2203 Jan 29th 2014 10:18 pm

Passport in maiden name...

As some of you may know from my previous thread my partner and I are about to get married in NZ and launch my cr1 visa from here.. My question is that due to not being in the UK I will not be able to get an updated passport... And I still have years left on my current one. Does the name on my passport have to match my visa application or Is my old passport and marriage certificate enough? Thanks. Bex2203.

ian-mstm Jan 29th 2014 10:22 pm

Re: Passport in maiden name...

Originally Posted by Bex2203 (Post 11103554)
Does the name on my passport have to match my visa application...

No.

Is my old passport and marriage certificate enough?
Yes.

Note that if you purchase plane tickets, the name on the tickets must match the name in the passport. It'll make no difference that your passport and visa/marriage certificate are all different.

Ian

Bex2203 Jan 29th 2014 10:30 pm

Thank you Ian.

hungryhorace Jan 30th 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11103562)
No.

Yes.

Note that if you purchase plane tickets, the name on the tickets must match the name in the passport. It'll make no difference that your passport and visa/marriage certificate are all different.

Ian

Whilst I completely agree with this, just wanted to comment that my wife flew with a prior booked ticket in her maiden name soon after our wedding. We brought along a copy of our marriage certificate, they took one look at it and didn't have any issues with her name being different in her passport.

But this isn't something I would advise if the flight is important to you. Get the name changed on the ticket if required.

CAdreaming Jan 30th 2014 4:30 pm

My passport is in my maiden name - green card in married name - just book tickets in your maiden name and always take marriage cert when you fly -

hungryhorace Jan 30th 2014 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 11104686)
My passport is in my maiden name - green card in married name - just book tickets in your maiden name and always take marriage cert when you fly -

Why is your passport in your maiden name if you don't mind me asking? We sent my wife's one off just within the year of her last passport issue so there was no replacement fee involved.

Nutmegger Jan 30th 2014 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11104808)
Why is your passport in your maiden name if you don't mind me asking?

Why not? I've tried a few names over the years, but the passport has always remained the beacon of stability and now everything matches that!

hungryhorace Jan 30th 2014 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11104943)
Why not? I've tried a few names over the years, but the passport has always remained the beacon of stability and now everything matches that!

Because your legal name is not your maiden name anymore.

Nutmegger Jan 30th 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11104956)

What is a "legal" name? There is no obligation to change a name just because one is married.

hungryhorace Jan 30th 2014 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11104960)
What is a "legal" name? There is no obligation to change a name just because one is married.

Of course not, but to have a passport in a maiden name, yet hold other identity documents in your married name seems completely perverse to me.

Noorah101 Jan 30th 2014 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11104967)
Of course not, but to have a passport in a maiden name, yet hold other identity documents in your married name seems completely perverse to me.

It's not. There is nothing wrong with keeping a passport in one name, and other ID in another name.

Rene

hungryhorace Jan 30th 2014 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11105031)
It's not. There is nothing wrong with keeping a passport in one name, and other ID in another name.

Rene

It makes life far more complicated for starters.

Noorah101 Jan 30th 2014 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11105037)

Evidently not for everyone, as many people handle it this way. It's really just a personal choice. My point is that it's legal, and there's nothing wrong with it, if that's what someone chooses to do.

Rene

Nutmegger Jan 30th 2014 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11105037)

It really doesn't.

ian-mstm Jan 30th 2014 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11104808)
Why is your passport in your maiden name...

There's absolutely no obligation for anyone to ever change the name in their passport if they don't want to!

This is a common myth. Your legal name is always your birth name regardless of any other name you assume. As long as your intent is not to commit fraud, you can call yourself whatever you want. The only time your legal name would change is if you present yourself in front of a judge and request a formal change. In that case, your legal name will change and you can get a new birth certificate and other forms of ID.

Note, though, that if you legally change your name, you can't go back to using your maiden name if, for example, you get divorced. You must go through another court process in front of a judge to change your name again. If, however, you simply assumed a spouse's surname, then you can go back to a maiden name with no problems whatsoever.

Ian