British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Passport Dilemma with pending AOS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/passport-dilemma-pending-aos-937993/)

petepete99 Apr 6th 2021 8:02 pm

Passport Dilemma with pending AOS

Hey there,

I'm sure this isn't the first time that somebody has posted about this so I hope it's relatively straightforward. I applied for my Marriage-based AOS back in October last year. The problem I has is that my UK passport expires June 16th this year. I can apply online for a renewal, but it asks for my old one back.

Does anybody know what the best practice is in this kind of scenario? I'm sure USCIS will want to see my old passport but I obviously need to get it renewed before June 16th...?

Thanks for your help!

lizzyq Apr 6th 2021 8:36 pm

Re: Passport Dilemma with pending AOS

When you renew your passport they clip the corner of the cover of the back and front covers of the old one to invalidate it and then return it to you. Renewal normally takes only a couple of weeks so unless your interview is imminent sending your old passport in should not be an issue.

In 2019 it took less than 3 weeks fro my younger son sending his old passport to receiving his new one and that was in July which is a high demand time. I suspect that the usual caseload is currently reduced at the UK passport office.

petepete99 Apr 6th 2021 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12992028)
When you renew your passport they clip the corner of the cover of the back and front covers of the old one to invalidate it and then return it to you. Renewal normally takes only a couple of weeks so unless your interview is imminent sending your old passport in should not be an issue.

In 2019 it took less than 3 weeks fro my younger son sending his old passport to receiving his new one and that was in July which is a high demand time. I suspect that the usual caseload is currently reduced at the UK passport office.

Thanks. We only recently replied to an RFE and looking at processing times, I can't see how the interview won't be for several months yet. One of the worries I had was that USCIS will have old passport information on all the application paperwork.

BenK91 Apr 6th 2021 9:45 pm

As Lizzyq mentioned above, I renewed mine last year and they send the old one back (just to be on the safe side I photocopied my old passport including my US visa).

Noorah101 Apr 6th 2021 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by petepete99 (Post 12992063)
Thanks. We only recently replied to an RFE and looking at processing times, I can't see how the interview won't be for several months yet. One of the worries I had was that USCIS will have old passport information on all the application paperwork.

It's OK if your old passport info is on the paperwork. Just bring both old and new passports to the interview when the time comes.

Rene

petepete99 Apr 6th 2021 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12992073)
It's OK if your old passport info is on the paperwork. Just bring both old and new passports to the interview when the time comes.

Rene

Thanks! That helps :)

petepete99 Apr 7th 2021 12:15 am

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12992070)
As Lizzyq mentioned above, I renewed mine last year and they send the old one back (just to be on the safe side I photocopied my old passport including my US visa).

Yep, will be sure to photocopy all pages. Thanks!