parents denied visa for wedding

Wikiposts

parents denied visa for wedding

Old May 19th 2004, 6:53 am
Just Joined

cristina101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: parents denied visa for wedding

Originally posted by MMA2002
my future in laws were denied a tourist visa to come for the wedding....of course they're on there way from ankara home so it's 8 hours til we'll know why they were denied....the officer handed them a letter in english and since none of them speak or read english they don't know what it says....wouldn't it have been nice for the officer to tell them as well! after an 8 hour trip being denied to go to their own sons wedding in september....ridiculous - anyone have any ideas what i can do here in the US to get them here for the wedding....i hate the idea of his parents not even being able to be here.....
If you need some compassion and understanding, let me please tell you that my parents could not come to be at my wedding and it hurted us. They just could not come that's why they didn't apply for the tourist visa either. We hope they will make it to here for this summer.

May I ask why did your future in-laws apply for the visa now if the wedding is planned for September ? You said their intention was to come and stay only 1 to 2 weeks.

Last edited by cristina101; May 19th 2004 at 6:56 am.
Old May 19th 2004, 7:08 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

now that my original post has turned into this incredible posting about being racist and whether my inlaws are the problem which THEY ARE NOT JEFFREYHY....my inlaws do not speak english, do not have any intention of staying and have never done anything illegally....since when is it wrong to want to be at the wedding of your own son?! we are victims of the system....the system that i am embarassed to be a citizen of because of the way these people were treated....the consular officer denied EVERYONE without even looking at their documents.....i detest where this posting has gone.....i came here for support from people who have been nothing but supportive throughout this process and it turned into a discussion over racism and quotas and questioning whether my inlaws are part of the problem here....my inlaws are not the problem - they are victims.....the consular officer had it in her head that morning that she was going to deny everyone and that is ridiculous....all these people wanted to do was come for the wedding.....this is not a discussion of racism or not - it is a discussion about something terrible happening because the us government hires people who don't want to listen to those people it should....she didn't even give them a chance....they had plenty of proof with jobs, a house, a business, and all the family....and to spend $450 out of a $2000 bank account that is all they have just to get denied is ridiculous....and i do not need an affidavit of support for people who are coming for two weeks....i work 1 floor above USCIS and have asked all the questions from them....

Hey there

You are very hurt because your in laws can't come to the wedding.. I understand that, but Jeffrey has not said that your in laws are a problem!
I was deny entry a few years ago and I know how terrible and helpless one feels.
I am sorry your in laws can't come for the wedding
Take care!
Old May 19th 2004, 7:20 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cristina
If you need some compassion and understanding, let me please tell you that my parents could not come to be at my wedding and it hurted us. They just could not come that's why they didn't apply for the tourist visa either. We hope they will make it to here for this summer.

May I ask why did your future in-laws apply for the visa now if the wedding is planned for September ? You said their intention was to come and stay only 1 to 2 weeks.

I am not the OP, but it is better to plan things ahead
Old May 19th 2004, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

This is EXACTLY the same way they handle tourist visa applications in Colombia. The rejection letters always say the same thing and it doesn't matter what kind of evidence you show them. Then they will approve some young woman who has absolutely no ties to her home country almost on a whim. Unless you have experienced it yourself, I don't think you can really understand the level of contempt that the consular people have for the citizens of their host countries. My experiences in Bogota made me ashamed to think this embassy represents our nation to the Colombian people.

I was not there, however I trust my family and what they say. They handed the documents over to the officer as soon as they stood in front of her. The only time she had to look was right in front of them, and she didn't. Their rejection letter specifically stated that they did not show enough ties to the country even though it was right in front of her and she didn't look at them. That is why they were denied. If there was anything else that was needed to give them a favorable outcome she should have told them, and she didn't. This is a case of someone who does not care about those she interviews. She has in her head that morning that she is not going to approve anyone and that is what she did. She did not approve anyone because she wanted to, not because of laws and rules. My inlaws did everything they were told and she didn't even look at the information they brought with them.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:50 am
Mrtravelkay

utopiacowboy wrote:

> This is EXACTLY the same way they handle tourist visa applications in
    > Colombia. The rejection letters always say the same thing and it doesn't
    > matter what kind of evidence you show them.

But, contrary to what you said in your previous post, this is are not
doing it because of skin color. This is very common in Moscow too.

Old May 19th 2004, 11:03 am
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
You post "it was stated why they were coming and for how long.....everything was covered". Simply stating is not sufficient. The law requires that the consular officer be convinced by the applicant that the applicant will leave the US. The law puts the burden of proof on the applicant to prove their statements, not just make them.
I agree with Jeff in the points he made.
However, it is the embassy's job to FIRST demand documents (which ever are necessary) and THEN review them. In this case I am wondering:
1. what was the specific required documentation
2. was it indeed submitted
3. and was it indeed reviewed by the officer

The US Embassy Ankara website states:
"During the interview, applicant needs to establish, to the satisfaction of the interviewing consular officer, that he/she has sufficient economic, professional, family and social ties to Turkey to compel his departure from the United States after a temporary stay."

I don't really know whether or not the officer actually examined the documents. We don't know anything outside of what you told us, and since you weren't actually present, there could be a discrepancy between that and what really happened.

But the fact is that their requirements are extremely vague and your inlaws may have underestimated them. In these circumstances a person is sort of left to the mercy (gut feeling, good humor etc.) of the interviewer. Which can lead to possible misconduct or suspicious conduct not only by the officer but by the whole embassy. This isn't uncommon.
I personally think that there should be better established guidelines of what is needed (like in the K visa process).

You also said in the first post that they got a letter explaining why they were denied. So I am wondering what the consulate's explanation is. (Although I suspect it is probably just as vague as their requirements.)

And I still think that they are a victim of the system simply because they went through a filter and were denied, even though they did not have any intention to immigrate.
Old May 20th 2004, 12:54 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I was not there, however I trust my family and what they say. They handed the documents over to the officer as soon as they stood in front of her. The only time she had to look was right in front of them, and she didn't. Their rejection letter specifically stated that they did not show enough ties to the country even though it was right in front of her and she didn't look at them. That is why they were denied. If there was anything else that was needed to give them a favorable outcome she should have told them, and she didn't. This is a case of someone who does not care about those she interviews. She has in her head that morning that she is not going to approve anyone and that is what she did. She did not approve anyone because she wanted to, not because of laws and rules. My inlaws did everything they were told and she didn't even look at the information they brought with them.
If what you say here is true, you were right to get in touch with your state representative. As another poster has said, the state rep. can request that the application be re-examined, any further missing documentation requested, if allowed. It should be, taking into account the high cost of processing fees.
Apart from that I don't understand why you got so huffy about what Jeff had to say. I don't believe he said anything that should have offended you, if you would take the trouble to re-read his posts. Also, he has a point about the affidavit of support. It may just help their application along.....