Reload this Page >

parents denied visa for wedding

Wikiposts

parents denied visa for wedding

Old May 19th 2004, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

MMA2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: parents denied visa for wedding

my fiance set up all the paperwork and had every request filled out before he sent his parents there - this is not someone who has never filed an application for a visa before.....don't take to me like we are idiots and don't know what we're doing....we've been filing for visas for over 3 years.....
Old May 19th 2004, 2:13 am
Annie

utopiacowboy>>>Actually I do know someone who did receive a tourist visa from
Bogota.
I met her on her way back from visiting her sister in Miami. She had no
other family in Colombia, no property and no job - it made me wonder
why she was going back to Colombia.

The application fee for the visa
is $100. There are an estimated 200 applications a day and about 5 to
10 are approved. It is well known in Colombia that getting a tourist
visa from the consulate is like gambling.

They do have an excellent
web site with a lot of useful information.

Annie>>> That is quite a money maker for the Consulate. $20,000 a day in fees,
approve 5 or 10 per day?

Old May 19th 2004, 2:48 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MMA,

Originally posted by MMA2002
now that my original post has turned into this incredible posting about being racist and whether my inlaws are the problem which THEY ARE NOT JEFFREYHY....
I didn't say that your future inlaws were part of the problem. Indeed, I very specifically said that I could not and would not take a position on the issue.

....and to spend $450 out of a $2000 bank account that is all they have .......
This is a significant problem, as another poster observed. The family cannot afford to make the trip that they propose. You said in one of your subsequent posts that you and your fiance plan to pay their expenses. Was this made clear in the family's visa applications? And if so, did you and your fiance document that you can afford to pay those expenses?

You may be taking a broader view of the issues affecting B2 visas than is indicated by your posts, but based on the information that you have presented there are clear and valid reasons why the visas may have been refused. To be successful your husband's family needs to address those reasons, not merely reiterate the facts that have been found to be insufficient.

Regards, JEff
Old May 19th 2004, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

no facts have been insufficient.....it was stated why they were coming and for how long.....everything was covered.....people who say an affidavit of support is necessary are wrong.....we have applied (as i've already posted several times) for several visas and have included the same information......the consular officer is the problem - nothing else.....it doesn't matter who is paying for the tickets - we are paying for what is necessary - the officer didn't even look at the documents therefore would not have made her decision on the financial status of the family.....you state that there are clear and valid reasons for them being refused - care to share?! as you know exactly what happened there i'd like to hear your belief as to what happened.......
Old May 19th 2004, 3:40 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

MMA,

No, I don't know exactly what happened at the interview, I know only what you post here.

You post "it was stated why they were coming and for how long.....everything was covered". Simply stating is not sufficient. The law requires that the consular officer be convinced by the applicant that the applicant will leave the US. The law puts the burden of proof on the applicant to prove their statements, not just make them.

An affidavit of support is not necessarily required, but the consular officer has the authority to require one. And it does very much matter who is paying for the tickets. According to the evidence that you say your future inlaws provided, they cannot afford the trip that they are telling the consular officer they want to make. This is grounds for refusing the visas.

You know that the interviewing officer did not look at the documents that were submitted with the visa applications? Were you at the interview? Was the interview conducted immediately on submission of the applications and supporting documents, or did any time, even a few minutes, pass between the time that the applications were submitted and the time that the family spoke with the interviewing officer? Just curious.

Regards, JEff

no facts have been insufficient.....it was stated why they were coming and for how long.....everything was covered.....people who say an affidavit of support is necessary are wrong.....we have applied (as i've already posted several times) for several visas and have included the same information......the consular officer is the problem - nothing else.....it doesn't matter who is paying for the tickets - we are paying for what is necessary - the officer didn't even look at the documents therefore would not have made her decision on the financial status of the family.....you state that there are clear and valid reasons for them being refused - care to share?! as you know exactly what happened there i'd like to hear your belief as to what happened.......
Old May 19th 2004, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

I was not there, however I trust my family and what they say. They handed the documents over to the officer as soon as they stood in front of her. The only time she had to look was right in front of them, and she didn't. Their rejection letter specifically stated that they did not show enough ties to the country even though it was right in front of her and she didn't look at them. That is why they were denied. If there was anything else that was needed to give them a favorable outcome she should have told them, and she didn't. This is a case of someone who does not care about those she interviews. She has in her head that morning that she is not going to approve anyone and that is what she did. She did not approve anyone because she wanted to, not because of laws and rules. My inlaws did everything they were told and she didn't even look at the information they brought with them.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:12 am
not a newbie

soulsender is an unknown quantity at this point

my fiance set up all the paperwork and had every request filled out before he sent his parents there - this is not someone who has never filed an application for a visa before.....don't take to me like we are idiots and don't know what we're doing....we've been filing for visas for over 3 years.....

I hear ya!
It's a wacky world. All the incompetence and abuses are magically forgiven in the name of national security. Who needs prosecuters to build a case against you when you have this place? It's funny how much it has changed from a nice helpful board to the state it is now in just the... oh... 15 months we've been going through trying to get a k-1.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

OT but how can you say they 'don't need' health insurance? What if they get taken ill suddenly while in the US? You know yourself how expensive healthcare is in the US--the most expensive in the world. Would you like them to take that risk rather than pay a small premium?

Back to the main topic. I would definitely contact my representitive and insist that they get a proper hearing where the supporting evidence is examined fairly.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

thanks - i agree with you - some people are really nice and supportive - then you get others you feel like you need to constantly be defending yourself to - there's enough stress with this whole process and then you've got people giving you the third degree - it should be a place of support - good luck with what's going on with you - 15 months huh? i hope the end is in sight - we were damn lucky that we went through VSC or i know we wouldn't be where we are

Originally posted by soulsender
I hear ya!
It's a wacky world. All the incompetence and abuses are magically forgiven in the name of national security. Who needs prosecuters to build a case against you when you have this place? It's funny how much it has changed from a nice helpful board to the state it is now in just the... oh... 15 months we've been going through trying to get a k-1.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

health insurance coverage from their home health insurance

Originally posted by Squirrel
OT but how can you say they 'don't need' health insurance? What if they get taken ill suddenly while in the US? You know yourself how expensive healthcare is in the US--the most expensive in the world. Would you like them to take that risk rather than pay a small premium?

Back to the main topic. I would definitely contact my representitive and insist that they get a proper hearing where the supporting evidence is examined fairly.
Old May 19th 2004, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

health insurance coverage from their home health insurance
OK but as long as it covers them in the USA. Many policies don't cover falling sick in another country and a lot exclude the US because its heathcare is so expensive.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:21 am
Just Joined

cristina101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse me, I just analyzed your future in-laws situation and I asked a few questions. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, however I can understand that you are already under some stress and pressure.
Maybe the U.S. Embassy from Ankara doesn't ask for the same documents that the U.S. Embassy from my country asks for when applying for the tourist visa. ..then everything is different.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
MMA,

No, I don't know exactly what happened at the interview, I know only what you post here.

You post "it was stated why they were coming and for how long.....everything was covered". Simply stating is not sufficient. The law requires that the consular officer be convinced by the applicant that the applicant will leave the US. The law puts the burden of proof on the applicant to prove their statements, not just make them.

An affidavit of support is not necessarily required, but the consular officer has the authority to require one. And it does very much matter who is paying for the tickets. According to the evidence that you say your future inlaws provided, they cannot afford the trip that they are telling the consular officer they want to make. This is grounds for refusing the visas.

You know that the interviewing officer did not look at the documents that were submitted with the visa applications? Were you at the interview? Was the interview conducted immediately on submission of the applications and supporting documents, or did any time, even a few minutes, pass between the time that the applications were submitted and the time that the family spoke with the interviewing officer? Just curious.

Regards, JEff
I agree with Jeff's understanding upon what was posted a bit earlier.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
MMA,

Regards, JEff
I agree with Jeff's understanding upon what was posted a bit earlier.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Squirrel
OK but as long as it covers them in the USA. Many policies don't cover falling sick in another country and a lot exclude the US because its heathcare is so expensive.
yes, as long as that health insurance covers your in-laws while they are in the U.S.
I payed for my health insurance when I came to the U.S. That insurance that "covered" me in the USA honestly covered only mild injuries. You have to think that you have to be prepared that an unexpected accident can happen at any time, and then you would need to go through a surgery and if you don't have the proper insurance coverage then you will pay extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.