Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Parent consent for 18yr old?

Parent consent for 18yr old?

Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

pattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nice
Default Parent consent for 18yr old?

Can anyone confirm if I need parent permission for my 18yr old stepson from his mother to live with myself and his father here in the states?

I have already submitted 1-130 and waiting for a decision.

Regards

Pattiecake
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent consent for 18yr old?

Originally Posted by pattiecake
Can anyone confirm if I need parent permission for my 18yr old stepson from his mother to live with myself and his father here in the states?

Regards

Pattiecake
I can't say for sure, but I think at age 18 he's an adult and you would no longer need parental permission.

Rene
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I can't say for sure, but I think at age 18 he's an adult and you would no longer need parental permission.

Rene
Does he know you can not drink until you are 21?

And they are a bit anal about it.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Regards

Pattiecake
Assuming that your step-son has legal capacity to make such a decisions, the answer is that he can do what he wants. No permission from any relative is required.

(ie he isn't living in a care home due to developmental issues, doesn't have any condition such as Down syndrome etc)
Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If, at age 18, he is considered a legal adult in his home country, then you do not need permission from his birth mother.

Ian
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:00 am
Just Joined

pattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nice

Yeah he knows he cant drink until he's 21. What a pain! So he will have to wait a further 3 years to drink legally over here.

Still ....... it will probably take another year to get his VISA!!

Does anyone know how long it takes from acceptance of the I-130? I presume he will have to go through the same procedure as my husband had to go through ............ police record, medical, etc, etc blah blah
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah he knows he cant drink until he's 21. What a pain! So he will have to wait a further 3 years to drink legally over here.

Still ....... it will probably take another year to get his VISA!!

Does anyone know how long it takes from acceptance of the I-130? I presume he will have to go through the same procedure as my husband had to go through ............ police record, medical, etc, etc blah blah
A year, usually quicker.

But the same sort of deal.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

A little bit different from your husband, I think.

Where did you file this I-130? The US Service Center or London?

If the US, depends on which Service Center, but a little less than a year. The part that will be different for you is all the mailing back and forth with the National Visa Center.
Filing I-130 in London streamlines things a lot.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

I filed the I-130 at Vermont as we reside here in Florida. That was back in November but at least we have now have a receipt for it.

I did my husbands when we were in the UK and it took 9 months from sending it to finally getting the visa. Then we boarded a flight within 3 days and have been here for just over a year now. Hooray!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I filed the I-130 at Vermont as we reside here in Florida. That was back in November but at least we have now have a receipt for it.

I did my husbands when we were in the UK and it took 9 months from sending it to finally getting the visa. Then we boarded a flight within 3 days and have been here for just over a year now. Hooray!!
Super!
Well, your UK version went a little slower than their norm, but hopefully your US version will go a little faster than norm and it will all average out.
You can help yourself a lot by preparing for the mail that will eventually come from the National Visa Center (the NVC). They will collect and prescreen the visa application documents and set the appointment for your son.

You can see a hint of what's coming on this NVC Flowchart.
When you get closer, there are some shortcuts you can apply to the NVC process if you need to speed things up.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks meauxna. That will give me some light reading tonight

Thankyou to everyone on here. Its a great site and I must say that there are alot of very helpful peeps!

I will keep you all updated.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Ok I have read it now. But I'm still not sure about the following ......

As my son is now 18yrs old, does he still carry out the same procedures as an adult? ...........

1. Does he complete the DS-230 and choose myself as the agent (petitioner)?

2. Will he need to request information for details held on the Police National computer for him? (My husbands took nearly 40 days to receive as indicated at the start of search)

3. Will he need to have a full medical in London?

4. And lastly, will he have to attend an interview at the US Embassy in London? This may be daunting for him without myself and his dad as we live in Florida.

Also, I can not see how much the fee is for the Affidavit of Support? I do't remember having to pay anything when I petitioned for my husband.

Looking forward to anyones help here. Thank you.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:40 am

Looking forward to anyones help here. Thank you.
Yes, as I said, there are going to be many differences between the way your husband's case processed (filing I-130 abroad) and your son's.

The questions you have here.. you are still several months from this step (and things may change--there has been a lot of changing lately). I suggest that you start hanging out in the marriage-based visa forum here and watch for the Immigrant Visa (IV, CR-1, IR-1, spouse visa are some of the nicknames ppl use) cases. Their process will most closely resemble your son's.

1-Yes, you can be his agent if you're going to help him with his case.

2- Yes, he'll need a police check. There is a new procedure; pinned post in the MB forum. It takes less than 2 weeks to get now.

3- Yes, full medical. An 18 year old is an ADULT under US law (as discussed in your thread). Don't forget that he'll need to register in the Selective Service once here: www.sss.gov

4- Yes, he will interview at the Embassy. He can attend alone.

The NVC fee for the I-864 is, IIRC, $70.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Parent consent for 18yr old?

Hi Meauxna

Thanks for the information. I didnt realise about the Selective Service.
I have now added to my list of things he will need to do.

Im having problem finding the MB Forum. What is it and where can I find it?

I really appreciate your help.

Pattiecake
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:26 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to do.

Im having problem finding the MB Forum. What is it and where can I find it?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514050

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.