Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Packet 4 and the Austrian Postal Service

Wikiposts

Packet 4 and the Austrian Postal Service

Old Feb 9th 2001, 2:39 am
mephisto_tyrol

Dear Group!

Sometimes it is NOT the INS or the consulates to blame when there are unforseen delays:
Here is my storry:

I just hung up with the Consulate in Vienna, Austria. We field there a DCF on Jan 4 and
the consualte sent out an interview inviation for Feb 2 three weeks ago. Would have been
less than 4 weeks!! (Lower than they 'advertise'). Now the bad things. I never got that
letter!! The reason, I'm living in the apartment I used to live in for 4 years before
emmigrating (two years ago) and that my friend took over and left my name on the mailbox!
I even rechecked when I moved back in.

And it has always been my legal address in Austria since I moved in 6 years ago (I just
was too lazy to have me removed form the residentcy registration)

A call from my mother who got a letter returned that she sent to me tirggered the call to
the consulate.

The 'drillsargent' (I recognized her voice) was extramly nice to me. And explained that
she sent the first letter out the 2nd week of Jan and resent the 2nd notice on Wendsday (I
knew it, very freaky). For March 2!! No way of speeding up. I could be in the arms of my
preggy wife right now.

I'm so upset and sad and close to the tears. One stupid mail man ruins 4 weeks of my life
and that of my wife.

Morals of this storry:
- If you don't know for SURE that your mail gets there send a letter to yourself.
- DCF can take as little as 4 weeks in Vienna
- Vienna scedules interviews 4 weeks in advance
- Conular 'drillsargents' can be very nice

Thanks for sharing my sorrow.

Michael

Old Feb 9th 2001, 2:46 am
Betastar

Dear Group!
>
> Sometimes it is NOT the INS or the consulates to blame when there are unforseen delays:
> Here is my storry:
>
> I just hung up with the Consulate in Vienna, Austria. We field there a DCF on Jan 4 and
> the consualte sent out an interview inviation for Feb 2 three weeks ago. Would have been
> less than 4 weeks!! (Lower than they 'advertise').

That is EXCELLENT! =)))

> Now the bad things. I never got that letter!!

That is HORRIBLE!!

> A call from my mother who got a letter returned that she sent to me tirggered the call
> to the consulate.

We had all paperwork sent to Reinhard's Mom, just because of possible mail problems. Of
course, for him it was easy because he lived at number 26 on the same street she was in
number 14. About a block walk.

> The 'drillsargent' (I recognized her voice) was extramly nice to me.

HOW did you manage that??? (I know exactly what woman you're talking about! She was
always so sour!)

> And explained that she sent the first letter out the 2nd week of Jan and resent the 2nd
> notice on Wendsday (I knew it, very freaky). For March 2!! No way of speeding up. I
> could be in the arms of my preggy wife right now.

Congratulations, Papa! But how sad! (However, I arrive on March 8, so if you're still
around and near Salzburg, let me know!)

> Morals of this storry:
> - If you don't know for SURE that your mail gets there send a letter to yourself.
> - DCF can take as little as 4 weeks in Vienna
> - Vienna scedules interviews 4 weeks in advance
> - Conular 'drillsargents' can be very nice
>
> Thanks for sharing my sorrow.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, but know that you can be with your wife in less than a
month, complete with green-card privleges. And know that you've made me and Reinhard a lot
happier by knowing how efficiently DCF can be through Vienna =)))

Betsilein