Reload this Page >

Outragious ! Where to go from here

Outragious ! Where to go from here

Old Aug 21st 2002, 9:44 am
L D Jones

Default Re: Outragious ! Where to go from here

mmm wrote:
    > Thanks for the info.
    > No, no other license and H1bs are now in the same boat. They are allowed to work
    > in the country but not able to get to work. This makes absolutely no sense to me.
    > The person I phoned did suggest leaving the state and get a license and then they
    > can "swop it" (or whatever they do) to a valid texas one, but don't you have to
    > have an address in the state you are doing the test???

I think it depends on the state. North Carolina now requires a person to prove
residency (by showing a lease agreement or similar with an NC address) before they
will issue a license. They also demand an SSN and will not provide a license without
one (the actual SS card must be shown). While I was at NC DMV a couple of months ago
one or two people complained that they could not demand an SSN as ID and the DMV
person simply said "The rules here are no SSN, no license."

Old Aug 21st 2002, 10:47 am
Hippyhoppym

In the meantime though, are you able to use your British license to drive here for a
year? I'm not sure how this would work but is it possible for you to get a foreign
drivers license next time you return to your home country and use that until you get
the law changed? This really is ridiculous. Why not try your local newspapers maybe
they would help in getting some publicity for you.

Good luck!

Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:38 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

First of all, Rete is right, DMV follows the laws from each seperate state.
I can only speak for my experiences with DMV in South Carolina.

You can drive on your 'old' licence (in my case, from the Netherlands) for a period of 90 days only.
This is the same period you can be in the US as a 'tourist'.

After these three months, you're expected to have an official driver's license.
While I was here on K-1 visa status, I couldn't drive for a period of six months,
and was dependent on my hubby and friends to drive me whereever I needed to go...

Leaving the state (cheating my way to a license) is something I contemplated,
but 'coming back' leaves you in the same position, that after 3 months,
you're expected to exchange your license for a local one.
So that won't help...

Besides, you would have to notify the INS of your change of address,
and accept any delay as a result of that... so that idea was dismissed pretty quick!

Better start making those phone calls, and write those letters and emails to your representatives!!
And yes, it's a good idea to notify the local papers too!
In our case it seemed to have helped, there was quite a bit of coverage from the media
at the time of the hearings.

Good Luck!
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 3:44 am
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

mmm-
My sympathies! That sucks. Don't have much advice for you except to contact my friend in Dallas that I told you about. She used to work at the British Consulate there, and can maybe steer you in the right direction with someone to talk to there who might be able to expedite matters. (or not- but its worth a try)
She said she tried to PM you her email addy, but got no reply. I'll Pm you with it again.

Good luck- hang in there.
Beth
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 10:27 am
Dan

Default Re: Update from the Texas DOT

Hello All,

If you are reading this and are a member of other conversation groups where this
topic is being discussed, please feel free to copy and cross-post this information.

Moments ago, I spoke by telephone with a highly placed representative from the Texas
Department of Transportation ("DOT"). Effective this date (8/22/02), the Texas DOT
*WILL* accept a foreign passport with valid K-1 or K-3 visa for obtaining a driver's
license in the state of Texas.

The green card requirement was the Texas DOT's interpretation of new laws, both state
and federal, which went into effect in Texas on August 20, 2002. This requirement
was reviewed today by DOT officials and has been temporarily suspended until
September 05, 2002. On that date, the State of Texas Department of Transportation
will meet regarding a clarification of this issue.

In the meantime, all Texas Drivers' License Bureaus have been contacted by the Texas
DOT and instructed to continue accepting valid passport/visa combinations until
September 05 pending the aforementioned review. I'm told the status quo will "in all
likelihood" remain as-is after September 05, thus allowing foreign fiancées and
spouses to continue using their valid passports with visas for obtaining a driver's
license in the state of Texas after that date.

I'm due to learn the outcome of the September 05 meeting shortly after it concludes.
I will post that update as soon as I receive it.

Dan Dallas, Texas USA

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:52 pm
mmm

mmm is an unknown quantity at this point

Does that include H -4 Visa's do you know?

Originally posted by Dan:
Hello All,

If you are reading this and are a member of other conversation groups where this
topic is being discussed, please feel free to copy and cross-post this information.

Moments ago, I spoke by telephone with a highly placed representative from the Texas
Department of Transportation ("DOT"). Effective this date (8/22/02), the Texas DOT
*WILL* accept a foreign passport with valid K-1 or K-3 visa for obtaining a driver's
license in the state of Texas.

The green card requirement was the Texas DOT's interpretation of new laws, both state
and federal, which went into effect in Texas on August 20, 2002. This requirement
was reviewed today by DOT officials and has been temporarily suspended until
September 05, 2002. On that date, the State of Texas Department of Transportation
will meet regarding a clarification of this issue.

In the meantime, all Texas Drivers' License Bureaus have been contacted by the Texas
DOT and instructed to continue accepting valid passport/visa combinations until
September 05 pending the aforementioned review. I'm told the status quo will "in all
likelihood" remain as-is after September 05, thus allowing foreign fiancées and
spouses to continue using their valid passports with visas for obtaining a driver's
license in the state of Texas after that date.

I'm due to learn the outcome of the September 05 meeting shortly after it concludes.
I will post that update as soon as I receive it.

Dan Dallas, Texas USA
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mmm:
Does that include H -4 Visa's do you know?
Go show them your passport girl! Good luck!
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 7:08 pm
Des

Dan,

that's great news! I am really hopeful that fiances etc. can continue to get driver's
licenses. I received mine based on a F-1 student visa which ran out in 2002 (I hadn't
filed for adjustment then), and the DL is valid until 2007! So it would be completely
incomprehensible if those with the potential right to live here indefinitely could
not get a DL!!!

- Des

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 2:43 am
Andy Platt

I bet it does.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "mmm"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does that include H -4 Visa's do you know?
    > Originally posted by Dan:
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > If you are reading this and are a member of other conversation groups where this
    > > topic is being discussed, please feel free to copy and cross-post this
    > > information.
    > >
    > > Moments ago, I spoke by telephone with a highly placed representative from the
    > > Texas Department of Transportation ("DOT"). Effective this date (8/22/02), the
    > > Texas DOT *WILL* accept a foreign passport with valid K-1 or K-3 visa for
    > > obtaining a driver's license in the state of Texas.
    > >
    > > The green card requirement was the Texas DOT's interpretation of new laws, both
    > > state and federal, which went into effect in Texas on August 20, 2002. This
    > > requirement was reviewed today by DOT officials and has been temporarily
    > > suspended until September 05, 2002. On that date, the State of Texas Department
    > > of Transportation will meet regarding a clarification of this issue.
    > >
    > > In the meantime, all Texas Drivers' License Bureaus have been contacted by the
    > > Texas DOT and instructed to continue accepting valid passport/visa combinations
    > > until September 05 pending the aforementioned review. I'm told the status quo
    > > will "in all likelihood" remain as-is after September 05, thus allowing foreign
    > > fiancées and spouses to continue using their valid passports with visas for
    > > obtaining a driver's license in the state of Texas after that date.
    > >
    > > I'm due to learn the outcome of the September 05 meeting shortly after it
    > > concludes. I will post that update as soon as I receive it.
    > >
    > >
    > > Dan Dallas, Texas USA
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 28th 2002, 5:55 am
mmm

mmm is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd just like to say Thank you everybody for the information, advice and encouragement.

I marched my little self down there this morning, took the test and passed!!!

In the words of Homer Simpson WOO HOO!!
Old Aug 28th 2002, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point

mmm.
Welcome to the wheel world!
Best wishes,
Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mmm:
I'd just like to say Thank you everybody for the information, advice and encouragement.

I marched my little self down there this morning, took the test and passed!!!

In the words of Homer Simpson WOO HOO!!
Congratulations! Do you have your own car yet? If not, are you going to buy one?
Old Aug 29th 2002, 1:49 am
Ranjini

Which test was that? Do you have your learners permit? Whichever it was,
congratulations on taking a step in the right direction!! You'll never believe what a
difference this is going to make in the quality of your life. Just hop in the car
and go where ever it pleases you Best wishes, Ranjini

"mmm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'd just like to say Thank you everybody for the information, advice and
    > encouragement.
    > I marched my little self down there this morning, took the test and passed!!!
    > In the words of Homer Simpson WOO HOO!!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com