Reload this Page >

out-of-status spouse of citizen applying GC

Wikiposts

out-of-status spouse of citizen applying GC

Old Oct 28th 2002, 3:37 am
Just Joined

zphbbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default out-of-status spouse of citizen applying GC

I will take the Oath to become a US citizen soon. My wife and I plan to submit application of Green Card (I-485) for her right away. My concern is that my wife was laid off last year and her H1B expired after that. So basically she has been out of status since then. I consulted a few friends and they all said that it does not matter for a citizen's spouse whether she is out of status or not. I would like to confirm this here and I appreciate if you would share with us if you have had similar experience. Will the INS officer pick on us if he/she sees that my wife is out-of-status on I-485? Many thanks!
Old Oct 28th 2002, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

Out of status violations are forgiven for the spouces of US citizens and also green card holders, as long as the spouse, entered the us legally and was inspected at a POE
Old Oct 28th 2002, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

In response to your email. POE is Port of Entry. The place where your spouse entered the US

You'll get used to these abbr. during this proccess

Good Luck

Simon
Old Oct 30th 2002, 3:12 am
Serenity

Default Re: out-of-status spouse of citizen applying GC

Are you sure that out of status violations are forgiven for the spouses of
green card holders too ? Is there any documentation about this ? My husband
has a GC. I am an F-1 student. If I quit shool and fall out of status, will
I be deported ?

Thank you,

simon bland wrote:

> Out of status violations are forgiven for the spouces of US citizens and
    > also green card holders, as long as the spouse, entered the us legally
    > and was inspected at a POE
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 31st 2002, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

They were forgiven for my wife. We married in 1995 (she was b1/b2) did not file for AOS until Sept 1995, she was out of Status. She received her green card in March 2001 No problems